Molli Steam Train - Warnemunde

• 2 weeks later...

Yes we did this tour on our Constellation cruise in June. The ship sponsored excursion first takes you to the Minster in Bad Doberan (elegant 13th century ex Monastery) and then you pick up the Molli Train.

It runs right down the main street of Bad Doberan (bell clanging all the way), and then out to the seaside town of Kuhlungsborn. There you have a coffee and cake break in a nice hotel and a chance to stretch your legs along the beach for close to an hour. Then it's back to the ship via Rostock.

The train itself is powered by a narrow gage 2-8-2 T loco from the early 1950s I'd say. It crawls through the town but it really picks up the pace on the way to Kuhlungsborn. There's lots of smoke, steam and narrow gage action if that's your bag. Personally I loved it.

Please note that it is really easy to do the Molli steam train on your own. My husband and I planned to do that last year, but we got separated on the train (long story, but basically he went back to get a bag that I thought he left) and ran out of time. However, I was at the train station in Bad Doberan and saw the Molli depart and come back. If it's a warm day, please note that there is no air conditioning on the Molli train.

The train goes straight from Rostock to Bad Doberan. It's a short ride (maybe 20 minutes). Then the Molli steam train leaves from the train station in Bad Doberan. See http://www.molli-bahn.de/Englisch.4.0.html for info on the Molli train and http://www.bahn.de for schedules from Rostock to Bad Doberan.

We went to Lubeck and Wismar and then stopped in Bad Doberan prior to traveling to Rostock to return to the Constellation last year. These were all nice villages, and I read nice things about Schwerin too. You will have time to see at least two stops in this area if you check the schedules to plan your day in advance.

Have a great trip,

Donna

you can do the Molli on your own.

We didn't take many ship's excursions ourselves but this one I think really is worth it. We got to see the Minster (which is a really outstanding brick 13th century church) and after the train ride we had the coffee break and beachside stroll in Kuhlungsborn. Our guide was a nice young woman who gave us many details on the former East German life before the Wall came down. All in all a great afternoon.

Archived