Is This a Nasty Gesture?

I'm just trying to figure out whether I was doing a no-no.

My wife and I went to an Italian restaurant in the Trafalgar Square area of London. When the waiter asked us how many, I held up my hand and indicated two - holding up the index and middle finger (V pattern) with the back of my hand towards the waiter. The waiter very curtly said that was a rude gesture. He told me the correct way was to place two fingers on the back of wrist of the other hand.

Is this correct or was he just messing with me? Is this a British cultural thing or Italian or European? This gesture is certainly "normal" and usual in the U.S. and definitely not considered disrepectful.

I'm afraid it is a very nasty gesture in Britain. Very often delivered with an upward flick of the fingers.

If you see wartime photos of Churchill he often held up two fingers as the V for Victory sign. This is a different thing. There was no upward flick and you saw the front of his hand, not the back.

Ain't that the fun of travelling? We live and learn!

Oh dear...........:eek: :eek:

Perfectly acceptable as long as you turn your hand the opposite way and have its back to yourself, front facing the other person.:)

You can get the same reaction using ONE finger the way you used two. Thats every bit as rude too. :mad:

Again you should have the back of your hand facing yourself, front facing the other person.:)

DonLou,

It all starts from the early battles when England and France were frequently at war, the French would cut-off the fingers (necessary for shooting an arrow) from the archers, they had taken as prisoner. After this became known to the english archers, they would flash this gesture to the French in the battle-field, thus telling them that they still had their fingers and could still cause some damage in battle.

Andy

I held up my hand and indicated two - holding up the index and middle finger (V pattern) with the back of my hand towards the waiter. The waiter very curtly said that was a rude gesture.
In case it isn't obvious from the other posts, basically it means "f*ck off" or "f*ck you". How rude? That rude! Now you understand why you got that reaction. :D

DougYWG you're right. Live and learn. :o

Thanks all for my further education. And special thanks to Andym for giving the background on the "gesture". Geez, I know about the one finger salute but who would have thought something I usually do with two fingers when I go to a restaurant would be as bad.

I think back to the many times I've been to Europe and it was only recently in a restaturant in Trafalgar that someone finally made a comment about my "rudeness." Maybe previously my camera gave me away as a tourist and the natives had enough patience and tolerance to put up with me.:eek:

Am I allowed to flash a peace sign?;)

Archived