Crown Princess Incident

Nliedel

Sorry I confused you, that was hillsgirl's recount of what happened. I was trying to quote her writing, and my response was below.

I wasn't on the ship, she was, and did a magnificent job in writing about her experience.

Sue

A Canadian doctor had to intervene on Crown Princess

Colin Perkel

Presse Canadian

Toronto

A Canadian doctor in cruising off Florida suddenly had to take again service this week when the Crown Princess ... suddenly, projecting body and goods against the walls and emptying blow the swimming pools of their water and swimmers.

See the article (in french) : posted: Jeu, 20 Juil 2006, 22:33

http://www.lemondedescroisieres.com/viewtopic.php?t=1070&sid=86dc9a28fd39b8a0b42da76ec37b6624

Nancy, in NO WAY did I mean to say that you gave a negative interview...quite the opposite. I just said that, on the clip that was shown, they showed you describing the terror that you all experienced. They did not show you saying how Princess responded and how the crew responded, so positively....at the end they said that you had booked another cruise, but they did not actually show you giving the positive comments. That is all that I meant....I just meant to show how the media can pick and choose from clips...I just need to stop posting and keep my mouth shut cause I seem to put my foot in it....

Hillslife, thank you for your account of what happened. I have searched the threads looking for accounts of how people were reunited with their family members. I think that would be my greatest fear, not being able to locate my kids and husband in the event of an emergency. I can't imagine the sheer panic after the list occured. I was relieved to hear that they set up a location to be reunited with family.

Thank you again for your posts and please know that I am very sorry about the experience.

Thanks for posting that!! It is amazing, isn't it, how they didn't put any of Nancy's positive comments into the interview? They focused on the terror and the injuries, which were certainly real, but we all know that she praised the staff and Princess for their handling of the matter. At least they did say that she had already booked her next cruise......

That's the media for ya..........they like to report the "negative" ......

Nancy:

I am looking forward to reading your "real" review (unless I missed it on this board with all the crazyiness....although I'm sure you're trying to unwind and spend time with your precious boys and wonderful husband).

I am particularly interested in a comparison with the Mariner (I was one of the passengers on the October Mariner cruise...you and I had a conversation about leaving our little ones home and how heartbroken I was)

When You are ready, I look forward to it :D

I only had very postive things to say about Princess. Of course the media likes to make the worst of everything.. here is a clip from tv of us

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltbyPPmBRmU

and newsday is here..

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/newyork/ny-nylaur204823140jul20,0,4018519.story

and my photographs are here

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/ny-princess-flash,0,6495518.flash

-Laura aka autumrhythm

It is amazing, isn't it, how they didn't put any of Nancy's positive comments into the interview? They focused on the terror and the injuries...

Yeah, I'd noticed that, too. Typical.

I'm so glad everyone is well and back. Could have been a lot worse.

Merion Mom - what a fantastic message! I think it should be sent to ABC to show them how bad their reporting was! Your responses were funny. Thanks for the laugh. My sister, husband and friends were on the boat and they are still shaken. I didnt sleep well the last few days worried about her. I almost feel bad that I still want to go on another cruise and wouldnt mind going on the crown. But I do have a better chance of an airplane crash or car accident than a boat accident.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the silver lining in this cloud-thank goodness they were just a few miles off the US mainland when this happened- the mind boggles to think how it would have gone down if this event had occurred a couple of days out at sea or off one of the islands that have minimal health facilities......

I reported to the Medical Center, told them I was a nurse and they put me right to work triaging people, dressings, ice applications, assessing critical from non critical complaints, offering comfort and support, etc. It was very hectic in the medical center but several passengers that were doctors, nurses, EMT's came forward and were essential in helping the staff medical people to care for everyone. Our resources were limited but the more critical patients were found and treated first with the minor "walking wounded" assessed and then sent to deck 5 for minor treatment....

Hi Hillslife,

Once you get settled back in to normal life, you might want to write your experience down and send it off to the journal published by the Emergency Nurses Association, 'Disaster Management & Response,' or one of the major EMS mags. I'm sure they would publish it as a Lessons Learned item or for training, and would definitely help the next time something similar happens (god forbid). I work at a federal disaster library/training center, and I can tell you this kind of first-person experience is a key teaching tool.

The bit about the lack of triage tags and patient record forms really disturbed me. It's almost as thought it never occured to them there may be a mass casualty incident on a ship. I would send a letter to Princess and tell them how much of a problem it was. Just my $.02, but it may help in the future. :rolleyes: Just a thought.

Nancy and Carol,

I have long admired your posts on the RCI boards and want to thank you for your sharing this harrowing experience with us. Once again, your posts were thoughtful, honest, and (at times) humorous.

We're glad that you and your cruisemates are safe and secure, and hope your next Crown cruise is "quieter".

I've been considering trying Princess, and if anything, your posts about the way you were treated by the crew and staff make me more tempted to book a Princess cruise.

Smooth sailing to both of you...

Do newspapers benefit from the misery of others or inform> Did the guy who took the picture of JFK being assassinated make money from his pictures?

Yes you are entitled to your opinion as small and narrow minded as it is.

You live in a capitalist society where people make money everyday. Why is this person so different from a hospital or a doctor making money from people's suffering.

Of course you can suggest that she not make a profit but why shouldn't a professional photographer make money from her pictures...seems like an oxymoron to me.

To answer just one part of the above response. Yes Abraham Zapruder sold the rights to show and print stills from his movie of the JFK assassination to Life Magazine for $100,000 which was a lot of money in 1964.

His family recently donated a first generation copy of the film and other items to the JFK museum in Dallas.

http://www.jfk.org/Research/Zapruder/Zapruder_Film.htm

have a great next cruise.

1. How do you know that the photographer was paid for her photos, FC Corp? Or was that a supposition on your part?

2. Is there some reason if she was paid that she should NOT have been paid? Or if her photos were to win a journalism award, should she decline it, simply because she was there?

As a journalist, it is a contribution to document an important event. I didn't see anything grotesque or sensational in her photos. If she were to photograph blood and gore in a really sensational way, I could understand a distaste about it. But I didn't see that at all.

Photographing an incident to document it is pretty helpful. Often times investigators use photos taken by passers by or non professionals to reconstruct an event. Like the "C" curve wake behind the Grand, showing the hard heel.

How about the journalists who documented the Vietnam war...there were some very horrible events that were photographed. Right or wrong, when the public actually could see what was happening, it changed public opionion. Should CNN stop broadcasting news reports?

I don't want to bash or flame anyone. I really don't get why you are so vehemently angry at this one persons photos, and hope that perhaps you can help me understand.

Hi all, I wanted to read through the thread before commenting. First of all, Nancy, Carol and Narragonl are the nicest people you ever want to meet. My cabin was just down the hall from Nancy and Carol and I actually met Nancy on the eleevator before our meet and greet and I instantly liked her and Carol both. Narragon's family was on the same excursion as mine in Grand Cayman and we all had a wonderful time. Me, Narragon and my husband along with another cc'er were actually in the Lotus pool earlier in the day and had a nice relaxing chat and swim.

deleted below

Hi Deborah

I am so glad you posted. I've been thinking about you and your family (I'm happy to hear your father is OK.) I've finally caught up with thread (have been uppacking and on breaks following the new posts.

It's nice goming to the boards and finding posts from the roll call indicating that the group made it out relatively OK. (Now I really am peaved I missed the meet and greet), I'm sure I ran into more CCers on boards than I have known. I said it before and I'll say it again, it was a real great cruise.

No major incidents up to this point.

Oh well, I'll keep reading. I'm also gald that you and others are hear to keep the accounts real. The crew was real good before, during and after the incident too. I'd have no issues cruising with them again (but I will be taking a break for a bit).

Hi, this may be a little off topic. When I first started looking at cruises was a few weeks before the big wave hit the NCL Dawn. I remember a bunch of passengers were going to sue (which I didn't really agree with, but it's none of my business), did anything ever come of that? The talk of the passengers on the Crown ranting about suing made me think of it.

1. How do you know that the photographer was paid for her photos, FC Corp? Or was that a supposition on your part?

I don't know which is why it was submitted in the form of a question.

2. Is there some reason if she was paid that she should NOT have been paid? Or if her photos were to win a journalism award, should she decline it, simply because she was there?

Most of us were helping those in need, not snapping photos for the possibilty of selling or winning a future award. Not saying she or others had this in mind but when they end up in the hands of the press, one does have to wonder. If she and others are to financially gain on the pain and suffering of others, then so be it. They were not on the ship to await this incident and report it, they were there for pleasure. That being the case, it would be nice if any proceeds were donated to a charity of their choice. Where I come from it's regarded as doing the right thing.

As a journalist, it is a contribution to document an important event. I didn't see anything grotesque or sensational in her photos. If she were to photograph blood and gore in a really sensational way, I could understand a distaste about it. But I didn't see that at all.

Or was it perhaps because the "blood and gore" were not within view? I can't comment further.

Photographing an incident to document it is pretty helpful. Often times investigators use photos taken by passers by or non professionals to reconstruct an event. Like the "C" curve wake behind the Grand, showing the hard heel.

So I guess the question could be asked. Were the photographs made available to investigators first? I think we all know the answer to that question.

How about the journalists who documented the Vietnam war...there were some very horrible events that were photographed. Right or wrong, when the public actually could see what was happening, it changed public opionion. Should CNN stop broadcasting news reports?

You want me to comment on the integrity of CNN or even other news sources? I think we all have questioned their actions many times in the past.

I don't want to bash or flame anyone. I really don't get why you are so vehemently angry at this one persons photos, and hope that perhaps you can help me understand.

I am not angry, just expressing my views which obviously makes others angry.

Thanks for your post, it was a good one.

Did you profit from those photos? If so, it would be very nice to donate 100% of the proceeds to charity. Of course we will never know.

Some may say it's none of my business but it is my personal opinion and I am sure an opinion shared with those of ethical integrity.

If she had sold the rights to these photos or was concerned about profiting from them why would she post them on an open internet forum?

If she had sold the rights to these photos or was concerned about profiting from them why would she post them on an open internet forum?

Well in regards to her case, you should notice her photos are linked to Newsday who now has possession of the photos.

I don't know which is why it was submitted in the form of a question.

Most of us were helping those in need, not snapping photos for the possibilty of selling or winning a future award. Not saying she or others had this in mind but when they end up in the hands of the press, one does have to wonder. If she and others are to financially gain on the pain and suffering of others, then so be it. They were not on the ship to await this incident and report it, they were there for pleasure. That being the case, it would be nice if any proceeds were donated to a charity of their choice. Where I come from it's regarded as doing the right thing.

Or was it perhaps because the "blood and gore" were not within view? I can't comment further.

So I guess the question could be asked. Were the photographs made available to investigators first? I think we all know the answer to that question.

You want me to comment on the integrity of CNN or even other news sources? I think we all have questioned their actions many times in the past.

Just so you know they may not have been paid for their photographs. The travel channel used 3 of my daughter's photos from the Star Princess 3/19 sailing on their special and we received nothing, didn't even think to ask for it. We did receive a special thanks at the end in the credits and my daughter loves photography so it was a thrill for her. We did have to sign a release that they could use the photos anywhere in the universe forever!

Just so you know they may not have been paid for their photographs. The travel channel used 3 of my daughter's photos from the Star Princess 3/19 sailing on their special and we received nothing, didn't even think to ask for it. We did receive a special thanks at the end in the credits and my daughter loves photography so it was a thrill for her. We did have to sign a release that they could use the photos anywhere in the universe forever!

Thanks for your post. I just wondered if people were being paid and expressed my views about being paid under such circumstances which unfortunately has led to some outrage.

Archived