Prior to this incident I posted concerns

ptbernard

I have really been into computers for over 2 decades now, and I just took my first computer robotics class a few weeks ago. So when I heard about the lisitng of the Crown yesterday, the first thing I thought of is that it might very well have been a computer programming problem. When you have a hands-on knowledge of such things, even one as rudimentary and newbie as mine ( and I am aware of the adage that a little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing) then one can more readily understand how a small errant programmed command can so easily affect even the most simple and basic of physics' properties. What seems like a simple command to put jelly on a piece of bread, turns into 50 or so individual commands, all of which have to be done precisely and in correct order. Gawd, what it must take to make sure a ship stays aright.

a good judge of character is not how a business responds when things go well, but rather how they respond when things don't go well. And it sounds like Princess can be proud of their crew for their response during this crises.

it's tragic that this happened at all; lets keep the passengers and crew in our thoughts as they deal with not only the incident itself but any post-tramatic stress they may have because of this incident.

Most of the time computerized navigation, or being on auto pilot, can be a good thing.

But, if your course is charted in segments, and you have passed a beginner marker point when you go from manual to auto, some applications cannot compensate well for the advance you have made. The computer wants to get you back to "point A" of the segment to sail your ship from beginning to end of that segment.

Suddenly, your sailboat on auto wants to whip around to get back to the beginning of the segment.

Now, what happens when this happens on a large ship? Actually, we may have the answer.

Leslie

Most of the time computerized navigation, or being on auto pilot, can be a good thing.

But, if your course is charted in segments, and you have passed a beginner marker point when you go from manual to auto, some applications cannot compensate well for the advance you have made. The computer wants to get you back to "point A" of the segment to sail your ship from beginning to end of that segment.

Suddenly, your sailboat on auto wants to whip around to get back to the beginning of the segment.

Now, what happens when this happens on a large ship? Actually, we may have the answer.

Leslie

i think this was caused by a failure of eather....

A) failure of the autopilot to engage properly causing it to command a hard left rudder attemping to get back on course

or

B) failure of the stabilizer system causing the system to "Drive" the ship into the list

these are only guess' i will be intersted to see if the NTSB posts a report as to the real cause of the problem.

Archived