Buying Fins (plastic)

S&B

I don't mean to sound stupid but I was ordering some new fins today and saw that they were plastic (the shoe being rubber). I am ordering from a place that was recommended on this board. I looked at KMart and they had plastic ones also. I thought that the shoe and fin was rubber. Am I wrong or confused. Thanks for helping.

The description you give is pretty standard. You want the "fin" part ot be stiffer than the boot. Since plastic stays stiffer most fins are made that way, even expenisve dive fins.

S&B,

I would suggest to go to your local sport goods store to find the right fins for your feet. I don't know how anybody could buy snorkeling gears off the web (maybe you can but I just wouldn't) because you would have to try on the mask & fins. Some places requires a vest that holds air, it's a simple vest that blow air into. Some island you can rent the vest if you already have your own gears.

Have fun.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I kept going to different Sports Authority stores and finally found one that had some fins left that were not in a set. Even in Florida the stores do not stock as much after June. It is a good thing that I did not order because I had to take a smaller size than what it said on the box. The box size seems to be more for a man's foot and although I wear a size ladies 7 shoe, the 7 fin was too big.

I am going to use those sights you suggested for other things that we want. Thanks again! :)

Archived