Windsurf Barcelona to Lisbon

Did that itinerary a couple of years ago. You'll love it.

My two cents: Ibiza is great fun, but will be sound asleep most of the time you're there. Walk around the Old Town in the morning and head to the beach in the afternoon. Maiorca is marvellous -- be sure to head out of Palma and up into the hills. Valdemosa is lovely, and less than an hour out of town. Think we did a shore excursion up to that town, but don't recall exactly. Tangier is fabulous -- right out of a movie. All you can really do is walk around, but what a walk! Be prepared for the constant (and I mean constant!!) hawkers of "treasures" that one normally has to go to Chinatown to get.

Lisbon is a fabulous city, and by all means make sure you stay a couple of days there. Beautiful, unique, marvellous food and wines. Four Seasons Hotel is very nice.

Did that itinerary a couple of years ago. You'll love it.

My two cents: Ibiza is great fun, but will be sound asleep most of the time you're there. Walk around the Old Town in the morning and head to the beach in the afternoon. Maiorca is marvellous -- be sure to head out of Palma and up into the hills. Valdemosa is lovely, and less than an hour out of town. Think we did a shore excursion up to that town, but don't recall exactly. Tangier is fabulous -- right out of a movie. All you can really do is walk around, but what a walk! Be prepared for the constant (and I mean constant!!) hawkers of "treasures" that one normally has to go to Chinatown to get.

Lisbon is a fabulous city, and by all means make sure you stay a couple of days there. Beautiful, unique, marvellous food and wines. Four Seasons Hotel is very nice.

Thank you, love to hear from people that have had the opportunity to do this itinerary. We are really looking forward to this exciting trip.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone

New to this website. My husband and I have booked on Windsurf cruise Nov 5 Barcelona to Lisbon. Looking for some assistance on where to stay in Barcelona one night and 2 nights in Lisbon. Also very interested in learning more about shore excursions. We like to do alot on our own and wanted to hear from others who have been on this cruise. Anyone out there booked with us on this cruise?

Hi Everyone

New to this website. My husband and I have booked on Windsurf cruise Nov 5 Barcelona to Lisbon. Looking for some assistance on where to stay in Barcelona one night and 2 nights in Lisbon. Also very interested in learning more about shore excursions. We like to do alot on our own and wanted to hear from others who have been on this cruise. Anyone out there booked with us on this cruise?

:) Welcome to the CC boards, you will learn so much as everyone shares such useful information. We use Marriott's where ever we travel if possible, so we will be staying at the new Renaissance in Barcelona near the airport. Since the hotel just opened this month everything is new and the bedding we hear is out of this world. The rates are very responible and they have a package that includes breakfast. In Lisbon we again will be staying at the Marriott.

Besure to check out Europe on these boards, you will find lots of very helpful information. I made up a small journal by cutting, pasting and making copies of suggestions from the boards so I can take it with me when we sail on the Wind Surf on Sept. 10. Have a wonderful cruise and share all your adventures with us when you return. Shirley

4 of us will be joining you on this cruise...

:) Great to hear from someone that's going to be on the cruise with us. We are also a party of 4. Our friends from Savannah, Georgia will be joining us. Wish it wasn't so far from California, unfortunately we go from LAX to JFK, LHR and then to Barcelona. We couldn't get a direct flight with ff miles. We arrive in Barcelona on Friday so that should give us enough time just case of flight delays. This will be our first cruise aboard a Windstar and are really looking forward to sailing on a small ship.

Shirley

We sail on September 10th out of Barcelona to Lisbon and would love to hear your suggestions for the ports that we will be visiting. Ibiza' date=' Palma De Mallorca, Malaga, Tangier and Lisbon. Shirley[/color']

Hi Shirley!

We're just did that itinerary in July, only in the opposite direction!

In Ibiza, we walked around a bit after lunch, window-shopping, stopping for a few shandies (beer & sprite, very refreshing) at Marisol- THE best location for people watching (I think everyone passes by there at one point or another). Then we went back out after dinner, which was the buffet & crew show...The Alt Villa all lit up, Sa Penya with its narrow streets, the spectacle of Calle de la Virgin, wow! And then the bars on Calle Garijo, with the multi-level terraces. Great DJ's, great music, sexy people, San Miguels, who could ask for anything more?

In Tangier, we had arranged for a guide to meet us a the dock. He drove us to the usual tourist spots: Cap Spartel, the Caves of Hercules, past the rich homes & palaces, through the modern part of the city. Then we headed to the Medina on foot. Fantastic! It was the highlight of our trip. Tangier is nothing like I had imagined (it's much better...) and so very different from anything I'd ever seen before. (Try to get a private guide so you won't have to travel around in a big pack.) He asked us if we wanted to ride a camel (yes),if we wanted to see a snake charmer (no), if we wanted to visit an herbalist (no), and he insisted on holding my packages so I could concentrate on taking pictures! No sales pressure, no sales pitches. (If we wanted to, fine; if not, we moved on.)

In Malaga, we opted not to see the Alhambra. We rented a car near the port & drove east to Nerja to see the caves. I've never seen caves before & they were absolutely amazing! (You feel like you're in an Indiana Jones movie). Then we asked the parking guy for directions to Playa Burriana, where had some of Ayo's World famous paella. (Okay, not world famous, but certainly Nerja famous...) All you can eat for like 6 Euros, plus .75 for a beer. Can't beat it: a popular chiringuito right across from a beautiful beach, with lounge chairs & those little hut umbrellas.

Palma was sooo beautiful. We took a taxi from the ship to the Cathedral, passing all those luxury yachts in the marina. Tha Cathedral- WOW - I would have taken a thousand pictures inside. Every altar was more beautiful than the next, the paintings, the shrines. And the GOLD! The workmanship, the carvings. The Gaudi chandelier! The height of the columns, the sheer majesty. You'll really feel the full effect when the Windstar is pulling out of port & you're standing on the pool deck & they're playing the Vangelis music & the sun is hitting the Cathedral as the ship sails farther & farther away...I'll never forget that...After the Cathedral, we took a horse & carriage ride around the rest of the old quarter; that way you can get REAL close to the buildings (sometimes I didn't think we would fit!) and you can look inside the grand courtyards & take pictures of the tops of buildings & the windows that all have colorful striped canvas shades flowing out over their little balconies.

Lisbon, we didn't tour because we've been there before. If I were you I'd head to the Castelo Sao Jorge first and then wander down to the Alfama distrct on foot. It's little bit degraded but it will give you the best idea of Authentic Portugal. (It's one of the only spots in Lisbon that was left intatct after the 1755 earthquake). Don't forget that the worst looking restaurants, little holes in the wall, so to speak , will have the best & cheapest food. (Look for where there's lots of Portuguese workers). Tram #28 will get you out if you get lost in the maze of streets...

Have a wonderful time on your cruise- I assure you the ports are all fantastic!

Hi Shirley!

We're just did that itinerary in July, only in the opposite direction!

In Ibiza, we walked around a bit after lunch, window-shopping, stopping for a few shandies (beer & sprite, very refreshing) at Marisol- THE best location for people watching (I think everyone passes by there at one point or another). Then we went back out after dinner, which was the buffet & crew show...The Alt Villa all lit up, Sa Penya with its narrow streets, the spectacle of Calle de la Virgin, wow! And then the bars on Calle Garijo, with the multi-level terraces. Great DJ's, great music, sexy people, San Miguels, who could ask for anything more?

In Tangier, we had arranged for a guide to meet us a the dock. He drove us to the usual tourist spots: Cap Spartel, the Caves of Hercules, past the rich homes & palaces, through the modern part of the city. Then we headed to the Medina on foot. Fantastic! It was the highlight of our trip. Tangier is nothing like I had imagined (it's much better...) and so very different from anything I'd ever seen before. (Try to get a private guide so you won't have to travel around in a big pack.) He asked us if we wanted to ride a camel (yes),if we wanted to see a snake charmer (no), if we wanted to visit an herbalist (no), and he insisted on holding my packages so I could concentrate on taking pictures! No sales pressure, no sales pitches. (If we wanted to, fine; if not, we moved on.)

In Malaga, we opted not to see the Alhambra. We rented a car near the port & drove east to Nerja to see the caves. I've never seen caves before & they were absolutely amazing! (You feel like you're in an Indiana Jones movie). Then we asked the parking guy for directions to Playa Burriana, where had some of Ayo's World famous paella. (Okay, not world famous, but certainly Nerja famous...) All you can eat for like 6 Euros, plus .75 for a beer. Can't beat it: a popular chiringuito right across from a beautiful beach, with lounge chairs & those little hut umbrellas.

Palma was sooo beautiful. We took a taxi from the ship to the Cathedral, passing all those luxury yachts in the marina. Tha Cathedral- WOW - I would have taken a thousand pictures inside. Every altar was more beautiful than the next, the paintings, the shrines. And the GOLD! The workmanship, the carvings. The Gaudi chandelier! The height of the columns, the sheer majesty. You'll really feel the full effect when the Windstar is pulling out of port & you're standing on the pool deck & they're playing the Vangelis music & the sun is hitting the Cathedral as the ship sails farther & farther away...I'll never forget that...After the Cathedral, we took a horse & carriage ride around the rest of the old quarter; that way you can get REAL close to the buildings (sometimes I didn't think we would fit!) and you can look inside the grand courtyards & take pictures of the tops of buildings & the windows that all have colorful striped canvas shades flowing out over their little balconies.

Lisbon, we didn't tour because we've been there before. If I were you I'd head to the Castelo Sao Jorge first and then wander down to the Alfama distrct on foot. It's little bit degraded but it will give you the best idea of Authentic Portugal. (It's one of the only spots in Lisbon that was left intatct after the 1755 earthquake). Don't forget that the worst looking restaurants, little holes in the wall, so to speak , will have the best & cheapest food. (Look for where there's lots of Portuguese workers). Tram #28 will get you out if you get lost in the maze of streets...

Have a wonderful time on your cruise- I assure you the ports are all fantastic!

:) Wow, thanks so much. I've made a copy of your great review. Would you give me the name of the tour guide you used in Tangiers and also if you remember the approx. cost. You have really gotten my excitied. Thanks again. Shirley

:) Wow' date=' thanks so much. I've made a copy of your great review. Would you give me the name of the tour guide you used in Tangiers and also if you remember the approx. cost. You have really gotten my excitied. Thanks again. Shirley[/quote']

We used aziztour@hotmail.com. This was from his e-mail:

Gran tour is with an airconditioning minibus, a beautiful drive through richest area of Tangiers zone of villas and palaces passing via the king's palace and celebrities homes. VisitCape Spartel which is the northest western point of Africa , it is the exact point where the Mediterranean and the Atlantic ocean meet. Then visit the Caves of Hercules. Then a stop to take pictures of the camels and if you like to experience a ride on a camel. Then we go to the old city to visit the Kasbah, Medina, snake charmers, Berber markets, the souks for shopping, gran socco, petit socco, old American Legation and Mendoubia building + gardens and the markets for shopping etc...

This tour costs 35 euros per person.

And worth every cent....

It turned out Aziz was unavailable at the last minute; he did send a wonderful replacement, little Mr. Mouhammed, with his djellaba (robe) and taguia (hat). (Aziz called via cell phone while we were on the tour & expressed his regrets for not being able to guide us himself. He is very personable.)

We had an unforgettable time with Mr. Mouhammed in Tangier...:)

We used aziztour@hotmail.com. This was from his e-mail:

Gran tour is with an airconditioning minibus, a beautiful drive through richest area of Tangiers zone of villas and palaces passing via the king's palace and celebrities homes. VisitCape Spartel which is the northest western point of Africa , it is the exact point where the Mediterranean and the Atlantic ocean meet. Then visit the Caves of Hercules. Then a stop to take pictures of the camels and if you like to experience a ride on a camel. Then we go to the old city to visit the Kasbah, Medina, snake charmers, Berber markets, the souks for shopping, gran socco, petit socco, old American Legation and Mendoubia building + gardens and the markets for shopping etc...

This tour costs 35 euros per person.

And worth every cent....

It turned out Aziz was unavailable at the last minute; he did send a wonderful replacement, little Mr. Mouhammed, with his djellaba (robe) and taguia (hat). (Aziz called via cell phone while we were on the tour & expressed his regrets for not being able to guide us himself. He is very personable.)

We had an unforgettable time with Mr. Mouhammed in Tangier...:)

:) This information I'm sure will make our visit to Tangiers very special. Thank you once again for your help.

Shirley

LOL - WOW!!! We're doing the reverse route right after Shirley, so this is super helpful to us as well. DH made me promise we would do a ship tour in Tangier. But I'm sure he will agree that a private tourguide is a much better option.

Thanks so much for posting this information!

Sheila

LOL - A thank you from me as well for posting the detailed info re your private tour in Tangier. On previous Wind Surf cruises that visited other Moroccan ports we've taken ship's shorexes that showed me all the belly dancers and carpet stores I ever want to see. All we want to do this time is see sights in Tangier and walk around in the medina/souks.

I'd be grateful if you could answer a few more questions:

1) How many of you did the tour at 35 Euro pp? We will only be a "group of 2" and prefer, like you, to do a private tour rather than be part of a "pack" -> was wondering if the price you paid was so reasonable because there were more than 2 of you.

2) how far in advance did you book your guide, and was any deposit requested?

3) Did the ship dock very close to the Medina?

TIA for any clarification you can provide.

Hi Luvnorway!

There were only two of us on the tour. We had an a/c minibus that could hold 7 psgrs. Plus the driver & the guide in front.

I booked on May28 for our July9 cruise. I'm figuring it's never too late to book, as Aziz would probably find a good substitute.

No deposit was required. We paid Mr. Mouhamed at the end of the tour, plus some extra money that he laid out because we didn't have small change in Euros, and beacuse we needed Moroccan coins to use the pay phone (what a scene that was!). We also gave him a nice tip.

The ship did some maneuvering in & out of the port area for about 45 minutes until we finally docked. The medina is very close. The van will drop you at the top of the medina & then you walk inside down, down until you reach the harbor. It's about a 2 minute walk from the bottom gate of the medina to the ship.

The tour is structured, but if there's something you'd rather see, or rather NOT see, just let them know. We needed a phone & arrangements were made for us. We were offered to have lunch in Tangier, but we were feeling pretty much done & decided to eat back on the ship. They will direct you to a huge handicraft co-op, where there's the carpet pitch, but just one "no thank you, we don't want any carpets," and they say "no problem, have a nice day in Tangier." Of course, you end up buying other trinkets there anyway...

All in all, it was a top experience.

LOL - thanks again for another detailed and prompt reply - you've given me exactly the info I was looking for. I really appreciate you being so helpful.

Also glad to hear the medina is so close to where we dock. We've wandered thro medinas on our own in Safi, Marrakech and Casablanca ("La Nouvelle Medina"), and enjoyed exploring them at our leisure so much more than being led thro on a rushed tour. I'm glad to learn it's going to be possible here without having to take a taxi to get there.

Also glad to hear the medina is so close to where we dock. We've wandered thro medinas on our own in Safi, Marrakech and Casablanca ("La Nouvelle Medina"), and enjoyed exploring them at our leisure so much more than being led thro on a rushed tour. I'm glad to learn it's going to be possible here without having to take a taxi to get there.

But that's the best part of a private tour: the guide will lead you through the medina. Sure you can wander throught the main market streets, but your guide will show you spots you would not know about, or maybe would be intimidated to venture into if you were alone. We made quick left turns, then right turns into alleys, then through some shops and out the other side. Open air meat stalls, the Berber market, spice shops, little alcoves where men spin thread & sew clothes, peeking into the houses...

Plus we were never bothered by peddlers. (Mr. Mouhamed said he pays the local children to leave his tourists alone. And he did give the kids some coins & good natured hair-tousling as we passed by...)

Here is a link I hope you enjoy:

www.paulbowles.org/tangier.html

And a map of the medina:

http://www.planetware.com/map/tangier/medina/tangier-medina-map-mar-tanmed.htm

(We started at Pl. de la Kasbah, popped out to see the Grand Socco & Mendoubia, and ended up on Rue de Portugal, near the bus station.)

LOL-

Another thank you for posting even more useful info. I was glad to see that the route you took through the medina was very similar to what I had planned to do. It was very refreshing to hear that you enjoyed exploring the souks as we do - not just shopping for souvenirs, but seeing how local people buy their "groceries" etc.

You are right when you say that, when you poke into the side alleys, you get a much better feel for the day to day life of the place - it's the spice markets etc. that are amazing, not the tourist traps. Bargaining for purchases and getting lost among the different souks is part of the fun, and of course, there's always a merchant willing to direct you out or, at last resort, a local "guide" who wants to earn a Euro.

I'm never sure why some people seem to find the medinas intimidating - of course they're different from our North America lifestyle, but that's what makes them interesting. Sure, the hustlers are annoying, but, in my experience, no worse than in Jamaica, and when you just igore them, they finally give up.

We're really looking forward to visiting Morocco again and have greatly appreciated your posts.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow what great information Shirley agree with you I am also printing and taking lots of notes. Anyone out there joining us on Nov 4 sailing from Barcelona to Lisbon? I am getting so excited especially after reading everyone's reviews. Shirley do you buy travel insurance?

Wow what great information Shirley agree with you I am also printing and taking lots of notes. Anyone out there joining us on Nov 4 sailing from Barcelona to Lisbon? I am getting so excited especially after reading everyone's reviews. Shirley do you buy travel insurance?

We are on count down for our Barcelona to Lisbon cruise on Sept. 10th. Trying to use the suggestions here on cc as far as packing etc. Yes we did buy travel insurance, after again reading some very valuable information here on cc we purchased STA Travel Insurance. While it's a insurance company that markets to students & young travelers you do not have to be either to buy their product. The insurance is underwritten by Berkley Insurance and had excellent ratings. The price was super reasonable. Hope this helps. Have a great cruise in November.

Shirley, see if you can spot us on the ship. My husband is a tall Indian guy with glasses. Looks like Jeff Goldblum. I am also tall and have shoulder lenght blond hair. we are in our mid fourties. Have a safe flight and see you there. Tracey and Ken.

Shirley, see if you can spot us on the ship. My husband is a tall Indian guy with glasses. Looks like Jeff Goldblum. I am also tall and have shoulder lenght blond hair. we are in our mid fourties. Have a safe flight and see you there. Tracey and Ken.

Tracy we will look for you and Ken. We are a party of 4. Two blondes and two silver foxes. Guess who the blondes are? Started actually packing yesterday, that is I started putting clothes in the suitcases. Good news yesterday after trying everyday for weeks I was able to upgrade our ff miles to business class. Checked the weather in Barcelona this morning and it looks like there may be a change coming. It has been very warm for the past several weeks or so, but now it looks like it's starting to cool off with a possiblity of showers. Is this your first Windstar Cruise? We have been on several other cruises but never on Windstar so we are really looking forward to a new adventure. See you aboard. Shirley & Guy from Huntington Beach, CA. Along with friends from Savanna, Georgia, Barbara & Lee.

Archived