Disabled excursions

cmwlv

We are taking our second cruise with our family (their first). My MIL is in a wheelchair and I was wondering about the access. on the islands. We are going on the Sovereign. I've been on this ship before but can't remember.

I don't want her to be stuck on the ship when we are in Coco Cay or Nassau.

Also do you have any suggestions on how we can make this a little easier for my FIL. Does the cruise line staff help out any? Should we bring a motorized wheelchair and one so that she can roll into the shower (2 wheelchairs)?

Any help would be appreciated..

TIA!

We have not been to Coco Cay, but we have been to Nassau twice. Each time we stayed downtown, using my husband's manual chair so we did not have to rely on curb cuts. The first time we just looked around and tried the straw market which is not practical for a wheelchair because the booths are so close together. The second time we went to the Pirates Museum and visited the craft market near the dock, both of which were accessible.

I am not sure what you meant about bringing a different chair for the shower. My husband uses his powerchair to the shower and transfers to a shower seat. I just make sure to move it out of the bathroom while he is showering so it does not get wet.

As far as assistance from the cruise line staff. They will assist during embarkation and disembarkation and perhaps in the diningroom; however, there is very little they can do for those in power chairs. They will also assist at the gangway at each port, but that's about it unless you have an emergency. Otherwise, they expect AB companions to assist.

If she can transfer, the method above is easiest. We do take a travel shower/commode chair with us as my mother cannot stand or walk at all, and she needs a seat with armrests due to her poor balance (the shower benchs or chairs to not have arms on cruise ships in my experience).

When she could still do this, we often just put a pool-side chair with arms into the roll-in shower. Now, I use a lift to transfer her to the shower/commode chair and can then roll over the toilet and into the shower without additional transfers.

I am not sure what you mean by the staff "helping out". They will not push her wheelchair around the ship, or help with bathing or any personal care. They will help to push the wheelchair (if you need this) at embarkation and disembarkation, and on some ships they will help her with either pushing the wheelchair or holding her tray for any buffet service food. In the dining room the waiter will also help push and position (and store) the wheelchair if this is needed. If you want to help your FIL, I suggest that a family member offer to assist with bathing and any personal care needed. If he does all this at home, he could probably use a vacation too!

Do have your MIL try a scooter at home first (a small travel one would be best). If she can handle it rent one for her from Care Vactions or Scoot-around. This will free your FIL and allow your MIL some personal freedom. Do take a manual lightweight chair for the tenders and on land. This is assuming that she can transfer. Ensure you get an H/C cabin for them.

The crew will aid in embarkation and debarkation but otherwise you are on your own. Good luck and hope they enjoy their cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

I am a double above knee amputee and I did the Coco Cay & Nassau cruise on Sovereign of the Seas. I did not have any problems at all. On Coco Cay I got in a beach wheelchair. I will say that you need someone strong to push you through the sand if you get on the beach. in Nassau I got off of the ship & we went around to the stores. We didnt really do any excursions. I really enjoyed myself and we are booked to go on the Freedom of the Seas In August 2007. :)

• 5 months later...

I noticed that you said you used a beach wheelchair at cccocay. Where did you get the beach wheelchair? I called the shore excursions dept. with RCCL and they said that there were no beach wheelchairs there. I would love to be able to just sit at the ocean. I would really appreciate any information you can give me. Thanks so much!

:) My left hip is being replaced tomorrow.But, I will still need the right hip replaced.It is not as bad as the left,so I will have some time in between sugeries.Thank God

so I use a portable scooter. I highly recomend that any one with diasabilities phone the cruise line & discuss the situation with their special needs dept. Geting on & off the ship was no problem ,even with tenders,as I got a lot of help from the crew. I can walk a little so we took bus tours & they packed my portable scooter in the luggage areas of trhe bus.

Always get a H/C cabin.Much larger & easier for the showering with the fold down seat & higher toilet.

Good luck to us all & Happy Cruising:D

My husband is disabled and in Nassau we got off the ship and took a taxi to the Atlantis and checked out the aquariums and different things there.... my husbands chair is a manual but rigid (does not collapse) works great for hunting and things but sucks getting it into a car.... taxi drivers loaded it and unloaded it no problem.... on the way to the Atlantis we used a van taxi and on the way back we used a limo taxi.....

Archived