Carnival to make an announcement in Mobile next week.

futaba951

Cruise ship announcement

7/20/2006</B> holiday[18].jpg

Officials from Carnival Cruise Lines are expected in Mobile Monday for an announcement about the cruise ship business from Mobile.

The Holiday, which sails from Mobile, has been a success for Carnival, leading to speculation that Mobile could either receive a larger ship, or a second ship.

We've learned that other cruise lines, including Royal Caribbean, have made inquiries about sailing from Mobile.

That sounds like good news. I heard rumors last year that the Holiday was being replaced but then Katrina hit. I'd love for another ship to come to Mobile as it is only a few hours from home.

Really enjoyed my cruise from Mobile. My only question would be parking. As it is, it is fine. Not sure how things would be with another ship? Are there plans in place to address this?

Our local news just announced that the City of Mobile signed a contract with Carnival to keep the Holiday around for another 3 years. :)

(Cotton, I know you'll like that announcement ;) )

Speculation here is that Carnival will be home porting a Fantasy Class ship in Mobile which will be doing 7 day sailings, departing on Sundays. Earlier news reports that the city will build an adjacent parking garage as soon as they receive a commitment for a second ship.

How about a Central America cruise? Mobile is in a good location to get there. Maybe sail from Cozumel to Panama and back, with a port each day?

Mobile is an easy 10 hour drive from Charlotte. I always fly to Miami but 10 hours is on the edge of driving distance.

An even better idea would be a Carnival ship home-ported in Charleston!!

out of Mobile, about the same distance for us as New Orleans, but The Mobile port is so much easier to get to and the people at the terminal just seem much happier and willing to help. Will be leaving on the Holiday on 8/28, our 6th on her.

I'll go with a Carnvial ship in Charleston :) A five hour drive for us here in the Piedmont section of NC :D

I totaly agree.. that would be so nice.. only a 4-5 hour drive..

futaba951,

Looking at your Avatar made me begin to wonder. Do you work at Northrop Grumman (it really is hard for me not to call it Ingalls)? I retired from there 4 yrs. ago after 32 yrs. of driving back and forth from Mobile to Pascagoula.:eek:

Richard

Keep us posted, please. We live in KC and since we cruise with our family and it is a BIG group---15 of us :eek: ---it is cheaper to drive. Mobile would be a days drive for us. (probably closer than Galveston which we have done the last two years!)

We would book a 7 day from Mobile in a heartbeat!

futaba951,

Looking at your Avatar made me begin to wonder. Do you work at Northrop Grumman (it really is hard for me not to call it Ingalls)? I retired from there 4 yrs. ago after 32 yrs. of driving back and forth from Mobile to Pascagoula.:eek:

Richard

No, that is actually a concept drawing of the Navy's new LCS they are building at Austal USA. Check it out at Austal.com.

How about a Central America cruise? Mobile is in a good location to get there. Maybe sail from Cozumel to Panama and back, with a port each day?

Mobile is an easy 10 hour drive from Charlotte. I always fly to Miami but 10 hours is on the edge of driving distance.

An even better idea would be a Carnival ship home-ported in Charleston!!

Charleston is about 3 1/2 hours from home for us also!

Did we ever hear what the announcement was?

http://www.al.com/news/mobileregister/index.ssf?/base/news/1153732593172180.xml&coll=3

Carnival has renewed their contract with the city of Mobile for a third year.

Also:

http://www.al.com/news/mobileregister/index.ssf?/base/news/1153819181197550.xml&coll=3

There may be some news in the next 3 months regarding a second ship in Mobile. This is unrelated to the Carnival announcement as it was in Tuesdays news.

Staying Put for another Year

July 24 - Carnival Cruise Lines made an announcement today that was good news for the city of Mobile, but not the good news that many in the area wanted to hear.

The announcement was that Carnival has exercised their option for a third year to homeport Holiday at the Alabama port for 4- and 5-night cruises. This will keep the ship there through 2007. Carnival expressed confidence in the Mobile market, yet there was no expansion, as many wanted. Meanwhile, the city is continuing to aggressively market itself to other cruise lines as they have for years. We wondered if Mobile is such a great place, why isn't Carnival expanding there, and why other lines aren't rushing in. For Carnival's perspective, we talked with Terry Thornton, Carnival's VP of market planning.

Staying Put for another Year

July 24 - Carnival Cruise Lines made an announcement today that was good news for the city of Mobile, but not the good news that many in the area wanted to hear.

The announcement was that Carnival has exercised their option for a third year to homeport Holiday at the Alabama port for 4- and 5-night cruises. This will keep the ship there through 2007. Carnival expressed confidence in the Mobile market, yet there was no expansion, as many wanted. Meanwhile, the city is continuing to aggressively market itself to other cruise lines as they have for years. We wondered if Mobile is such a great place, why isn't Carnival expanding there, and why other lines aren't rushing in. For Carnival's perspective, we talked with Terry Thornton, Carnival's VP of market planning.

Dude, don't leave us hanging!! Tell us what Terry Thornton had to say. :confused:

Archived