Just Back From Bermuda..detailed review

JaKetravels

Hi all,

just want to share ny experiences with you regarding my trip to Bermuda. We loved it and would go back tomorrow if possible. Here is my detiled review:

Left Boston via air to Bermuda 9 am Sunday morning. Had an quick flight and was on the ground by12 Bermuda time. Raining very hard...not too happy to see that but we all felt it would stop soon.

Had a very informative taxi ride to our desination in Somerset..9 Beaches resort. Very far from the airport, almost the complete other end of the island but once there were ready to relax and enjoy the scenery. We were lucky to get two cabanas all the way at the end where we overlooked a cliff and the beautiful waters of Bermuda. The snorkeling right outside our doors was the best I have ever experienced! I have to explain the 9 Beaches is what you would call fancy camping to a degree. The cabanas are soft-sided but have real working windows and a door leading to a porch overlooking the water. You have your own private bath with shower as well. You can go to www.9beaches.com and see what I am trying to explain. We loved it but it was very far from everything so it really is for someone who has already been to Bermuda and just wants to relax and beach it everyday. Like I asid the snorkeing was amazing and the 9 beaches on the property are the prettiest on the island and the one our cabana was above was as pretty as any we saw on our travels around Bermuda and that includes both Horseshoe and Tobacco Bay believe it or not. Now the one issue we had with 9 beaches was the odor of a farm nearby. It is in very close proximity to a horse farm and when the wind blew just right you could smell a farm odor for sure. We were fortunate to be on the other end at the furthest point so it was only effected us when we walked to the main area. Some of the cabanas were evn on stilts over the water, very picturesque and I think some peoople would really be happy there. We loved it but the distance to the rest of Bermuda got tous by day 3 and we decided to spend our last day and night at Elbow Beach Resort to pamper ourselves. Here is how we spent our time in Bermuda:

Day one got settled in and waited for the rain to stop. It basicall rained or was cloudy all day Sunday but the weather inproved dramatically Monday.

Monday got up early and snorkeled and enjoyed was what basically our own private beach for the day. We decided to go into Hamilton around 4 but be aware that shope close in Hamilton at 5:30 except for the festival night which is Wednesday nights. We shopped as fast as we could before everything shut down then we wnet for a great appetizer at The Pickeled Onion on Front Stret. It was very good there, we had the coconut shrimp and dry ribs appetizers..yummy! Then we walked around some more before going to our dinner spot, Silk. Right next door to the Pickeled onion in fact. We all loved our meals and would go back. The atmosphere was great, we sat out on the deck overlooking Front Street and the Celebrity Zenith ship. I'll fill you in on the next day of our trip later, I have to run a few errnads but will post back!

Thanks JaKetravels, very interesting report so far. I am leaving for Bermuda tomorow on the Zenith. We are hoping to go to the beaches, Horseshoe Bay and Shelly Bay in Hamilton and either Tobacco Bay or Clearwater in St Georges. Do you have an opinion as to which beach is nicer,more picturesque,and less crowded...Tobacco Bay or Clearwater? I'm looking forward to the rest of your report.Didn't realize that the shops in Hamilton close at 5pm, that is useful information for me. We will be in St Georges on Wednesday, the night of the street fair in Hamilton. Is it a long cab ride from the port in St Georges to Hamilton? Maybe we would just cab it over to the fair on Weds night.Will check back later for the rest of your report. Hope you get a chance to post again before I leave tomorow morning. Thanks, Karen

I hope this info helps you out. As for the cab ride to Hamilton it is a bit of a ride. I would say 20 mintues without traffic. There is a rush hour around 5 to 5:30 getting out of Hamilton. When you are in St. Georges unless things are drastically different from what we experienced Tobacco bay was packed and I mean packed with people! People on the boards have said you can walk to the beach when you get off the ship..DON"T! It is hot and we drove by (in a cab) many miserable looking floks who chose to walk the mile rather than cab it. Well it was only $7 and WELL worth it. Have the driver go right past Tobacco Bay, take a look..it is pretty but if it isn't pasked yet trust me by noon it will be. I guess if you really want to go go early then walk the short distance up around the corner to Fort Katherines beach. If it's crowded there right across the way you will see Achilles Bay. This is where we planted ourselves and we had a great lunch overlooking the beach at a restaurant right there. When you are looking at Fort Kaherines you will see the spot to the left of it. Very good food and you sit outiside on the upper deck with nice umbrella'd tables looking out at the fort to one side and the beautiful view of the water and rocks. This beach is no where near as crowded as either of the others and there are chairs to rent, floaties and umbrellas as well. No changing facilities but the restaurant has bathrooms so you rinse off if need be. The Zenith is in hamilton at least 1 night, is that correct? I would go to Horseshoe Bay for sure but grab a cab or take the ship shuttle early so you enjoy less crowds. We drove by at 11:30 one day and it was starting to get crowded so if possible I would get there by 10 and leave by one or so when the crowds get to be too much. I forgot to tell you that we ate at a great italian place in Hamilton on out last night. it was called Little Venice. It is on Bermudian way or street. Very good. I will try and post more later when I get back from work tonight. have a nice time, you will love Bermuda!

You have given us very useful info. We will be arriving in Hamilton on August 7.....August 9th to St. George and August 10th we head back to Cape Liberty...arriving Sat. August 12. We are sailing on the Zenith. We are interested in the history of Bermuda and would also like to go to the Swizzle Inn. Is there one within walking distance of the ship? We do want to try the Pickled Onion as well. We also want to see pink sand, gather sea glass and snorkel. Is there still a Marks and Spencers there? Thank you in advance for your time answering the above. My folks are sailing with us for the first time. Mum's time in Bermuda will be limited as she uses a walker. My Dad is very active and will be taking in all the sights.

Peace, Anna:)

Achilles Bay. This is where we planted ourselves and we had a great lunch overlooking the beach at a restaurant right there. When you are looking at Fort Kaherines you will see the spot to the left of it.

JaKetravels,

Did you snorkel at Achilles Bay?

Do you know, or think it is worth inquiring directly, if 9beaches allows day visitors to eat and snorkel/swim there?

Thanks for the great info you posted!:)

Let's see if I can answer some questions. As for snorkeling at Achilles Bay, yes we did try but found it too be very limited nearer to shore. There was a fellow out further who said he saw some great fish but it would have meant swimming further out ehere there was a bit of a current. He said it would be no problem had we had flippers on but we didn't so we decided to skip the adventure. I can tell you the spot though..if you look out at the water the location was on the left. there is a cluster of many rocks at the beginning but more out furtker still to the left of the beach. he said to swim out to the rocks out furthest and there was a reef shelf where if you swim close to it and follow it;s rim you will see many great fish. As for 9 Beaches I think it is worth a shot. It is such a great spot but it is far from everything so you would be making the trip to really spend the day there. Lunch was very good and was on the water. They have water sports there and the snorkeling was amazing. The best spot we found was right outside our cabana door. We stayed in Sunset #60. So if you are able to stay there for a day that is where i would snorkel from. There is a beautiful beach there as well with lounge chairs. As for the snorkel spot it is not the small beach with the chairs but rather make your way to the right side of the area where you can all the blue cababnas over the water. There is a small cluster of rocks off the beach pretty much in the middle in not too deep water..approx. 40-50 ft off chore. There are great fish here. If you are really brave you can swim to the ship wreck that is out to the left of this spot. If you look you can see a bow of a ship sticking out of the water. This is a spot where cruise ships come and snorkel only you can do it for free if you can do 9 Beaches. I don't see it as a problem as they offer snuba and claim it is the only place in Bermuda to do so. When we were snorkeling one day there was a group snuba ing sp? below us and they were doing all the same spots as us. I would recommend this if it is the only way to see this area. It really was the most scenic spot in Bermuda. The sunsets off our cabana were incredible but you have to like being remote and not mind using transpotation to get anywhere else. Have fun if you go!

Archived