RCCL vs NCL

Hi NY,

Since you are a first-timer I wanted to help you clarify the idea that there are not many boats in the Caribbean during summer months. While it is true that many lines move ships across the canal into Alaska or over into the Med, that still leaves lots of choices. Next summer (June to September 2007) the following will all do an Eastern itinerary including St. Thomas:

CCL

Carnival Triumph - sails out of Miami

Carnival Legend - sails out of NY

Carnival Glory - sails out of Port Canaveral

Carnival Liberty - sails out of Ft. Lauderdale

Carnival Valor - sails out of Miami

PRINCESS

Caribbean Princess - sails out of Miami

Crown Princess - sails out of NY

RCCL

Mariner of the Seas - sails out of Port Canaveral

Freedom of the Seas - sails out of Miami

Grandeur of the Seas - sails out of Baltimore

Explorer of the Seas - sails out of Bayonne, NY

NCL doesn't seem to have any, although the Norwegian Spirit does Bermuda out of NY

(This information came from a quick search of an on-line cruise seller)

If these schedules hold, the RCCL/NCL debate is moot if you're sailing in summer. That said, all the feedback you've gotten so far is, in my opinion, pretty accurate at least from the perspective of the posters.

We've sailed both lines and found that NCL is really all about the food and it's Freestyle dining concept (not much on the go by way of active pass times, sports, etc.). The food in the main dining rooms was VERY much inferior to the specialty restaurants, however; those venues are uniformly excellent. Showroom entertainment was also very good. Service in every aspect on the Norwegian Sun was exceptional, although we may have just gotten very lucky. Shoreside customer service is poor by anyone's standards.

RCCL is far better suited to those wanting active entertainment during the day (both at sea and in port). Service we've received has been very satisfactory both shoreside (yes, this does matter!) and aboard. The dining atmosphere is very different as dinner in the main rooms is much more of an 'event'. You'll either like that or you won't, but that's still what it is. There is always the Windjammer or the specialty restaurants if you prefer. The Royal Caribbean ships listed above are among the biggest and best at sea and would, IMHO offer the best of all possible worlds, given that I can't comment on Carnival or Princess.

Happy Sails,

Annette:)

ronandannette, I hope newyorkcruiser sees your post, it is very good, very concise and very much to the point. Just the facts, no fluff. I didn't realize that there were so many options available to St. Thomas during the summer. There is more demand for Caribbean cruises in the summer than I thought there would be. I booked a cruise on the Caribbean Princess for Aug. 5 2006 thinking that most people would have already taken their summer vacations before then, but this ship is booked full for the week of Aug. 5. If money wasn't an option I would much rather sail Alaska during the first part of August. With demand this heavy I'm surprised that NCL doesn't have more ships in the Caribbean during the summer.

ronandannette, I hope newyorkcruiser sees your post, it is very good, very concise and very much to the point. Just the facts, no fluff. I didn't realize that there were so many options available to St. Thomas during the summer. There is more demand for Caribbean cruises in the summer than I thought there would be. I booked a cruise on the Caribbean Princess for Aug. 5 2006 thinking that most people would have already taken their summer vacations before then, but this ship is booked full for the week of Aug. 5. If money wasn't an option I would much rather sail Alaska during the first part of August. With demand this heavy I'm surprised that NCL doesn't have more ships in the Caribbean during the summer.

I wish they did have more, but obviously they know where the business is. The reason the ships that are in the Caribbean are going out full is because there isn't many choices. NMNita

I wish they did have more, but obviously they know where the business is. The reason the ships that are in the Caribbean are going out full is because there isn't many choices. NMNita

It's probably that:D, but NCL also has a slightly smaller fleet than the others and it's spread pretty evenly between Alaska and the East coast and has at least 2 boats in Europe over the summer.

Here's my count of the respective fleets, give or take - I may have missed one or another somewhere.

NCL = 10 (13 with NCLA)

RCCL = 18

CCL = 21 (they definitely have the most boats in the Carribean June - Sept.)

PCL = 14

I didn't count HAL or X or any of the premium lines; no doubt they would add at least a few more options to the Caribbean in summer 2007.

Annette

It's probably that:D, but NCL also has a slightly smaller fleet than the others and it's spread pretty evenly between Alaska and the East coast and has at least 2 boats in Europe over the summer.

Here's my count of the respective fleets, give or take - I may have missed one or another somewhere.

NCL = 10 (13 with NCLA)

RCCL = 18

CCL = 21 (they definitely have the most boats in the Carribean June - Sept.)

PCL = 14

I didn't count HAL or X or any of the premium lines; no doubt they would add at least a few more options to the Caribbean in summer 2007.

Annette

I am hoping there are more options and yes, the size of the fleet has something to do with it: HAL and X are considered Premium lines as you say; they too are not in the Caribbean during the summer. NMNita

Archived