I’m Onboard Celebrity Century – Got Any Questions?

Hi, nu2sea -- just finally posted cabin rundown. The Royal Suites were my absolute favorite onboard. I wouldn't worry about the balconies!

Carolyn

Carloyn,

At the risk of repeating myself, will you be checking out the verandahs of the Royal Suites, Sky Suites and Penthouse Suites on the Penthouse Deck for your review? We have reserved a Royal Suite for a 17 day cruise and are considering cancelling it due to the small balcony size and the extensions from the balconies above and below that limit the sun and the view.

Thanks,

Susan

for the interesting perspective, ND Traveler! Murano's is a good "alternative" in the best sense of the word....

Carolyn

I sailed on the Celebrity Baltic Cruise on June 15 to 27 this year. I had a very difficult experience with Century. I found three areas were handled very well without intervention. First the beverage sevice at any locale was very good. Second our cabin steward was very nice and the Murano room was wonderful. As a matter of fact we ESCAPED the dining room 3 times to the Murano. -However our first night in the Dining room was a disaster. We were seated next to a door right behind the string quartet. It was so loud we could not hear a thing or speak to each other. We asked to be moved and it was met with grim acceptance. We were then given a table with two other delightful couples. However the food continued to be erractic as well as the service. There was so much noise and activity near our table--waiters rushing past with 6-8 dinners on a tray--wine steward good but always busy---section captainas barking orders---very very stressfull. I rationalized it by saying to myself "How else are they going to serve 1500 to 2000 meals in 4 hours". It did not make me happy--but I understood the problem. We had another problem with the Shore Excursion office. We pre-purchased shore excursions for three ports. 20 hours befiore we were at one of the ports we decided jus to take it easy. I went down to cancel and the attendant said I was too late--I had to cancel within 24 hours. He said he would try to resell it and let me know--days went by and no word. I later found out they did sell it. The shore excustion desk also did not tell me if I bought and excusion ticket I did not need shuttle tickets so I purchased them and found out I had been misled by my own ignorance--however I think some one should have informed me or asked had I bought excusion tickets. We also had a bad experience with the min bar in our suite. We were overcharged for items not used. My wife and I had one split of white and one split of red wine. When I was reviewing my bill I found the quantities doubled. I complained to little result. I also felt the price of drinks was outrageous. When is a cruise line ripping you off? When it charges nearly $10 for a glass of LeCrema(including gratuity)--Cosco $12.00 a bottle.(I actually have used this simple test on other cruise lines) The idea of charging for shuttles also struck me the wrong way. I spoke to a mom traveling with a number of children and she was forking over $40 a port just for shuttles. It is apparent to me that Celebrity has but a la carte to a science. I finally did start to complain about all the above items and was treated warmly by the supervisory staff from the Hotel Manager, Bar Manager and Fodd Service Manager. But I should not have had to complain. Some things were remedied others were not. The Celebrity commercial about "feeling like royalty" is clearly Hyperbole. We spent nearly $13,000 excluding air fare and feel we did not get value for our money. This was our 10th cruise--most we have walked off feeling wonderful. This one was not the same. I would add we met some very nice people who were having a good experience and had sailed Celbrity as many 15 times. That was not my experience. Lastly as we departed the ship we waited in line for 1 hour to get a taxi--it was a madhouse. There were line cutters--people grabing taxis from the back of the line etc. I am still almost a month out and still discouraged with Celebrity--I think I will probably not sail on or recommend Celebrity.

Sandy 1020, hope this gets to you in time.

I think one of the challenges with Celebrity is that the line's marketing arm really does raise your expectations more highly than, IMHO, does Holland America or Princess. They really appear to be catering to a more elite audience....

I love their ads. But you have to deliver on them, too, and HostAndy raised a good point early on when he noted that it was his sense that something is really wrong.

What's wrong and I'm learning this not only from my experience but also from those you've so graciously shared, is that it's a consistency issue. Some ships have absolutely great service, others fall in the middle, still others score lower.

There's very much a feeling that it's a company that's trying to find its way...it wants to continue on the same level set out by its founders (Chandris) but it's operating in a new, ever more cutthroat era, in terms of competition, costs and efficiencies.

If I were in your shoes I'd go on the trip, fully prepared to have a blast but would perhaps temper my expectations somewhat (and then, hopefully, be pleasantly surprised!!!).

Carolyn

HI Caroline I actually reserved this cruise in March and final payment is due in about 10 days. Chose this cruise for a number of reasons -interesting itinerary ,special occasions and good rate. Since then, however, had unfortuanate experience on the May 7 2006-13 day Alaska summit cruise (essentially 4 ports/ship itinerary were cancelled) and passengers were really "jerked around "by customer relations and head office- the ship was poorly maintained on the exterior and pool areas and had a generally worn and tired appearance (I don't ever remember noting these things on my 15 previous cruises) The food was average, not as good as on other cruises with Celebrity. My overall feeling is that Celebrity is not providing the product that it once did. and is slipping in all areas. Will I be disappointed on the Century? I am expecting a spanking clean, shiny impeccably maintained vessal with oustanding service and excellent food and entertainment . I don't think that Celebrity can afford to be sloppy anymore

My airplane-savvy husband tells me I spelled the name of the Russian airplane we flew from St. Petersburg. It's Ilyushin IL 86 not whatever it was I said :))

This is actually a very interesting airplane! It was the first Soviet wide-body airplane, designed in the 1970s. Originally it was supposed to be ready for the 1980 Moscow Olympics - but it wasn't.

One thing that's really fascinating about it is that originally you were supposed to board using air stairs built into the lower deck, drop of your baggage in lockers down there, and then proceed up to the main deck where the seats are! (I doubt they still do this though.) This was because at the time, Soviet airports could not accomodate large airplanes otherwise.

Unfortunately, the Il-86 had very fuel-hungry, outdated Soviet engines which meant it had a pretty short range. (They also weren't very powerful, so it has four of them, even though the similar Airbus A300 built at the same time has only two engines.) Long flights still had to use the old narrowbody Il-62 (a really cool airplane that was a copy of the Vickers VC-10, my all-time favorite).

You don't remember by any chance what type your return flight was on, do you? If that old thing was an Il-62, you are very lucky as it is difficult to fly one any more! (Come to think of it, there aren't too many chances to fly an Il-86 any more, either. Just on very heavy-traffic Russian domestic routes, really - like Moscow-St. Petersburg.)

And what airline was it? Aeroflot? (I would hope it was Aeroflot - they are a very solid airline but many other Russian domestic carriers are a bit dodgy. I would only fly Aeroflot within Russia, personally.)

Anyhow, sorry for this digression - I find Soviet airliners quite fascinating. Not half as fascinating as Soviet ships, though!

Well, I have most definitely lowered my expectations for Century in November based on your comments, Carolyn. I am disappointed:( in several areas you discussed.

The Le Crema is a great example of a major rip off. I buy their Pinot from my wholesaler for 10 bucks a bottle. On RCI and X, one pays that for a glass! This is the reason I am very unhappy with their new wine policy. It will increase the cost of my upcoming wedding cruise (11 guests, most who appreciate good wines and we will be buying) exponentially.

More info on the live music venues would be appreciated. Any jazz music of note? and how was the house dance band?

thanks again:)

Thanks, Lois, for providing the info on the chat with the ship’s hotel director. Keith really impresses me as someone who really wants to learn from problems that arise and he does seem approachable…came from (then) Radisson (now) Regent Seven Seas.

Bestz5403, do you feel like you’ve gotten a sufficient answer? If not, let me know.

Carolyn

I want to appologize for taking so long to thank you for responding to my question - its been a hectic few weeks.

I am also pleased that you appear to have gotten over your very bad beginning, and that the real 'Celebrity' experience is comming through.

Dear Carolyn,

Thank you very much for the effort you have put into this thread. While, as my posts generally indicate, our trip was not one of our best. But, a number of good things did occur. We thoroughly enjoyed our Sky Suite and dined there every norning. While we have had larger suites--this one was one of our favorites. I have also outlined a number of other good experiences in other postings. It is a sad state that with such a beautiful ship Celbrity/Century can engender such negative comments from its' customers. As a person active in the Cruise industry is there a avenue available to dissatisfied clients to have a direct voice to management? I think if the concerns raised by you, others and myself could be addressed and either remedied or explained we would be more inclined to try another Century cruise. With the negatives you, others and myself have posted on this thread one would think that Celebrity would have responded or launched some sort of damage control. I did provide a detailed list to the Cruise Service manager while on board and was assured my concerns would be passed on immediately to the "Home Office" and I would hear from them. I have now been off the ship for more than 1 month and heard nothing regarding my comments to them. Not an apology, not a "thanks for your comments" , not even a correction on my oversharges--nothing, zip, who cares--nothing. It is apparent to me many love Celebrity and have a loyalty to Century---we assumed we would have too. Does Cruise Critic have the ability and desire to open a dialogue and bring all our concerns to them? I just want to know that something is being done. Again Thank you for your work--if nothing else you have provided me a cathartic escape.

ND Traveler

Thanks for the info on quiet places to dine in the main dining room. We sail on Century 4 weeks from tomorrow. Since we were on Constellation in the Baltics in May, and to answer your question which Baltic ports are intense touring experiences and which ones are relaxing, I'd have to say of course, St. Petersburg is intense, but Stockholm is also worth a close look. There is really a lot to see and experience. In fact, we're hoping to return for a land based trip to explore in more depth. And it's so incredibly beautiful and tourist friendly - clean, lots of English speakers, gorgeous scenery, etc. We were in Helsinki on a national holiday but we still explored the churches, parks etc. and loved our day there, especially lunch at a glamorous hotel! In summary, a Baltics cruise is port intense but a cruise has to be the absolute best way to see this part of the world.

Mary Anne

*While the sunset verandahs hover over the canvas canopy of the outdoor bar below, they have nice, deep balconies…I’d book one in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the first description of the SV's by someone who actually looked in one. There has been much speculation. Thanks:)

First - many thanks for your detailed review.

On my last cruise on Celebrity I showed up for dinner and there was no room at my assigned table. I was dragged downstairs, given a totally horrible table between a serving station and a temporary rack of dirty dishes, and I was told that the next night my original table would be properly set (for 8 instead of 6). It wasn't, and the second night was a repeat of the first. I did not mention that I was in a suite or it was my 20th Celebrity cruise. I was promised the third night would be different, it wasn't, but I was finally able to arrange for a suitable table for two. Since I was on that cruise with my brother, I really looked forward to having dinner with others.

But no line is perfect in this regard. I am in my mid 40s - and on a Crystal Cruise I was seated with lovely people, all way past 90. And on Regent, with open seating, I was asked if I wanted to dine with others, and I was seated with two permanent entertainers on the ship, who talked "shop" all night, and none of it flattering to the cruise line.

I forgot to say that on my second visit I booked a car, driver and guide through Red October because I had specific ideas about what I wanted to see, part of the time, and get off the tourist track, part of the time (and so wanted a native's guidance). It was OUTSTANDING.

Probably the highlight was Peterhof, Peter the Great's absolutely stunning estate on the Baltic, his summer palace. What was great -- and different from those on a cruise trip -- was that we had no timetable. My guide knew the gate people so we got right in (of course it was her advice that we beetle over there first thing in the morning to avoid crowds and indeed by the time we left at lunchtime it was pretty crowded). Even better, the parts I wanted to take time and see (I love gardens) we could take time and see, the schedule was ours.

I also wanted to see if there was some kind of burgeoning artist community in St. Petersburg (a loft district so to speak) where people could live cheaply and create, you know, a neighborhood with a bit of buzz, edge, hipness to it. No, my guide replied, puzzled, "we live where we're told to live." Hmmm, not everything's changed!

I also wanted to go to a real life grocery store and so we went to one of the typical oversized warehouse stores that we have at home though of course this was different -- don't remember recognizing any familiar labels. I wanted to bring a bottle of vodka home that "real folks drink" and so I asked her what she'd buy for her family and she pointed one out (yes, the grocery store has quite the nice selection!). She also took me to the War Memorial, which I think tours don't see, and I was like "let's get through this quickly" as we entered and genuinely moved, an hour later, as we left.

As well, we had a great lunch in downtown St. Petersburg, just an unprepossessing cafe where we talked politics (ooh, forbidden) but it was fascinating to hear her perception of the leaders we only know through filtered lenses, particularly Putin and Yeltsin.

It was a great "second visit" to St. Petersburg and I'd do it again even if only to have the morning to spend just wandering around Peterhof.

Carolyn

Hi, NJ Gal.

I think in all the ports save for the complicated ones (Berlin/Warnemunde and St. Petersburg are the primary candidates) going it alone its relatively easy.

If you're going to St. Petersburg I definitely recommend doing a tour, either through your ship or through an operator like Red October. This is not a "wander around at will" kind of place. One couple on Century raved, by the way, about a private car/driver they'd booked through the ship.

My first time in St. Petersburg I did a ship tour the first day then, clutching my precious visa, had taken a cab into the city and wandered around on my own. But it was really difficult and I didn't get much out of it. I also didn't feel all that safe, even in daylight, and this has been told to me by others as well.

For Berlin, I'd go with a ship tour because the trip is such a long one.

But one bit of advice. With the Baltic itinerary, as with almost any cruise in Europe (save for the oh-so-relaxing Greek Isles) it is incredibly easy to wear yourself out by doing too much intensive sightseeing. Please remember to pace yourself, and most folks will want to do EVERYTHING in St. Petersburg...so plan to take it easy the day after. Tallinn was the perfect place for a "day after" stop -- as it's simply a delightful town that is easy for wandering independently.

We called at Warnemunde for Berlin on another trip and we were pretty weary (it was Crystal Symphony) so wound up spending the day in the charming port village instead. Sure, we missed out on Berlin (but I vowed to visit independently, another time, and since have)...but the day turned out to be memorable because of the relaxing time we spent....

Curious, Baltic vets: which ports are must-sees (serious touring), which are let-your-hair-down and chill out?

Carolyn

I'd have loved to be under the table during your Regent dinner! And no, I don't mean "under the table" but just a pair of ears. But it's tacky of them....

We were on Crystal Serenity last year and they thoughtfully created an officer's table where everyone was in the 40-plus range -- young for Crystal. It should've been fabulous but people got weirdly cliqueish and frankly the 90 year olds might have been more fun :)).

Re your Celebrity story? Frankly, I think that's unacceptable. I'm appalled on your behalf. Now it's my turn!

Thanks for sharing.

Carolyn

First - many thanks for your detailed review.

On my last cruise on Celebrity I showed up for dinner and there was no room at my assigned table. I was dragged downstairs, given a totally horrible table between a serving station and a temporary rack of dirty dishes, and I was told that the next night my original table would be properly set (for 8 instead of 6). It wasn't, and the second night was a repeat of the first. I did not mention that I was in a suite or it was my 20th Celebrity cruise. I was promised the third night would be different, it wasn't, but I was finally able to arrange for a suitable table for two. Since I was on that cruise with my brother, I really looked forward to having dinner with others.

But no line is perfect in this regard. I am in my mid 40s - and on a Crystal Cruise I was seated with lovely people, all way past 90. And on Regent, with open seating, I was asked if I wanted to dine with others, and I was seated with two permanent entertainers on the ship, who talked "shop" all night, and none of it flattering to the cruise line.

The Le Crema is a great example of a major rip off. I buy their Pinot from my wholesaler for 10 bucks a bottle. On RCI and X, one pays that for a glass!

When we were in the Baltic last year we had to get on board for a cheap drink. Nothing like having to pay $10 to $12 for a beer in Scandinavia to appreciate cheap alcohol... I guess it's a study in relativity.:cool:

But I agree about with your attitude towards X's policy.:(

To think I will have the good fortune to spend 34 days on Century starting in October. I hope all the issues outlined here will be resolved by then.

Carolyn,

Thanks for your response on the Royal Suites, it is so reassuring to know that they will eventually be extended.

We have decided to opt out of the Century cruise and return instead to our favorite ship the Constellation for a westbound TA. Service is a big issue for us, and the staff we encountered on the Connie are the exact opposite of what you have experienced on the Century. Eye contact was made everywhere and cheerful Hellos were constantly offered. I wish all of Celebrity's ships had the high morale that we saw on the Connie...

Thanks again for all your work. I look forward to your review.

Susan

We have decided to opt out of the Century cruise and return instead to our favorite ship the Constellation for a westbound TA. Service is a big issue for us, and the staff we encountered on the Connie are the exact opposite of what you have experienced on the Century.

We cruised on both Century (TA EB) and Constellation (TA WB) last year. We liked Centuries' experience better. Now you must realize that as Celebrity reacts to these complaints, Constellation's crew will be reassigned to Century. All the miscreants will be on Constellation.;)

We cruised on both Century (TA EB) and Constellation (TA WB) last year. We liked Centuries' experience better. Now you must realize that as Celebrity reacts to these complaints, Constellation's crew will be reassigned to Century. All the miscreants will be on Constellation.;)

Your lips to X's ears!:D

Originally Posted by Faygelah

We've booked an aft balcony in a Family cabin for the westbound TA next year (Dec. 2007). Can you give me a sense of how big and how private the aft balconies are?

scapell, the Infinity and the Century are 2 different classes of ship. The aft is entirely different on each one. :)

Sandy 1020, hope this gets to you in time.

I think one of the challenges with Celebrity is that the line's marketing arm really does raise your expectations more highly than, IMHO, does Holland America or Princess. They really appear to be catering to a more elite audience....

I love their ads. But you have to deliver on them, too, and HostAndy raised a good point early on when he noted that it was his sense that something is really wrong.

What's wrong and I'm learning this not only from my experience but also from those you've so graciously shared, is that it's a consistency issue. Some ships have absolutely great service, others fall in the middle, still others score lower.

There's very much a feeling that it's a company that's trying to find its way...it wants to continue on the same level set out by its founders (Chandris) but it's operating in a new, ever more cutthroat era, in terms of competition, costs and efficiencies.

If I were in your shoes I'd go on the trip, fully prepared to have a blast but would perhaps temper my expectations somewhat (and then, hopefully, be pleasantly surprised!!!).

Carolyn

Thanks for your reply. I look forward to our cruise in October out of Barcelona (which I love) and the very interesting itinerary. As we will mostly be off the ship (11 days and 8 ports), I'm sure we will be fine, as long as our table for two is in a decent location. By the way, is the gym adequate and is there a sauna in the locker room?

Char,

Sorry, I hadn't followed the previous post and just answered the question using Infinity since I had those pictures.

Carolyn,

You seemed to have recovered quite well from your tearful experinece. You are a trooper cruiser.

Ira,

Nice seeing you here. Maybe we will get to Machu Pacchu one day. I think you gave good advice regarding that subject.

Blazerboy,

Very good summary and excellent ideas. Floris doesn't mean anything bad, I can assure you.

Dileep,

Nice links in your signature. Good idea.

Don,

We haven't met yet, but I like your style. A little brash, but likable. Not sure if I can afford to keep up with you.

Editor of cruise critic: Carolyn-You certainly started a very rapidily progressive thread with lots of ups and downs. It has been entertaining.

I guess that is why you are an editor.

Carolyn.ThankYou.Just bad luck for us that you didnt get to inspect them.

I cannot believe how difficult it is to find out information about bedding in Family Views on Century.

I phoned the Celebrity people in Sydney yesterday and she insisted the new refurbished FVs had new configured bedding and read to me from a Memo from Celebrity Miami.I have also written twice to Celebrity in Miami and they simply said they didnt have that information but it would be available soon.That was 1 month ago.

Can you believe it?Its their ship they ripped and stripped the existing cabins out.Engineers would of had plans etc etc,they added new beds and whole new balconies on two decks across the stern of the ship and yet they dont know.

This whole ordeal is making me very frustrated and confusing.

We have booked two Family VIews for a West Bound TA after letting go Sunset Views.

The bottom line is why dont they provide the updated information on their website?Simple?

Quote-Carolyn:"I forgot to say that on my second visit I booked a car, driver and guide through Red October because I had specific ideas about what I wanted to see, part of the time, and get off the tourist track, part of the time (and so wanted a native's guidance). It was OUTSTANDING. "

Carolyn, we are interested in doing this also. Can you give me an idea of how long you had the driver, car, guide with RO? And an idea of cost?

I see Princess offers this for $700 US for 8 hours per car.

Really enjoyed reading along as you cruised.

Thanks, J.

Hi, ND Traveler, thanks for the insights. You ask a provocative question: "As a person active in the Cruise industry is there an avenue available to dissatisfied clients to have a direct voice to management? I think if the concerns raised by you, others and myself could be addressed and either remedied or explained we would be more inclined to try another Century cruise. With the negatives you, others and myself have posted on this thread one would think that Celebrity would have responded or launched some sort of damage control."

My answer? I don't know.

It's true that Celebrity reads these boards, I know that (in fact some cruise lines now have staffers whose entire job is to read Cruise Critic and other outlets and distribute comments and such). I know that the folks on board Century were reading the thread as I was writing it because the hotel director asked to meet me after the "disastrous dinner" post.

He's the only one onboard who seemed aware of the problem in the dining room, though. To his credit, I admired his candor (noted this in an earlier post after that meeting -- think it's on page four but not sure) and appreciated his apology on behalf of the staff. He was very earnest about wanting to improve the onboard experience -- for every passenger -- on Century.

Did the service in the dining room get better? Well sure, when he invited my traveling pal and me to dinner. Of course we got great service -- but then again the hotel director should! I thought my lunches in the dining room were fair to middling, service wise.

Otherwise, and this is perplexing, I never once heard from anyone related to the dining room about anything! Never got a call asking if I would be coming to dinner again and frankly I feel like the one who owed an apology was the maitre 'd. Never even met him until, ironically, the last night, when Ginger and I were dining in Murano. Suddenly there he was, introduced by Dominique, the restaurant's maestro. It was sort of subtle as if "Jose" as I now know (he's from Spain) was simply making the rounds of Murano to say hello to all. But the whole thing seemed odd -- had he nothing to do in his own dining room?

After the experience I learned something that made the first formal night situation even more confounding (and I hate to keep going back to this but it seems symbolic of the experience on Century even if overall it was quite excellent). And that was that I was one of a handful of journalists onboard. Staff knew we were there. Knew where we were positioned in the dining rooms (I never met the other writers though). And the restaurant maitre 'd was fully aware -- beforehand -- that on the first formal night the rest of my table of six (four people who I also never met) were dining at the captain's table that evening. So he knew that I'd be alone at that table. I learned that even after the fact he had no idea that there was a problem at all. That apparently the sight of a woman leaving the dining room in tears didn't register -- for anyone, my waiter, anyone.

And still nothing was done!

That's just sad.

So in answer to your question, I still don't know if that particular incident will have any impact on enhancing the consistency of the dining room experience. I assume folks at Celebrity are aware of it but there's been no feedback, aside from that from the hotel director. I hope fervently that no other passengers had any kind of poor time there...any cruise. I hope that my experience was a blip. But I don't know.

As a passenger who happens also to be a cruise journalist I would have felt better about Century if there had been closure in that regard. But I also wanted to see how it would play out. And so I did.

Carolyn

Dear Carolyn,

Thank you very much for the effort you have put into this thread. While, as my posts generally indicate, our trip was not one of our best. But, a number of good things did occur. We thoroughly enjoyed our Sky Suite and dined there every norning. While we have had larger suites--this one was one of our favorites. I have also outlined a number of other good experiences in other postings. It is a sad state that with such a beautiful ship Celbrity/Century can engender such negative comments from its' customers. As a person active in the Cruise industry is there a avenue available to dissatisfied clients to have a direct voice to management? I think if the concerns raised by you, others and myself could be addressed and either remedied or explained we would be more inclined to try another Century cruise. With the negatives you, others and myself have posted on this thread one would think that Celebrity would have responded or launched some sort of damage control. I did provide a detailed list to the Cruise Service manager while on board and was assured my concerns would be passed on immediately to the "Home Office" and I would hear from them. I have now been off the ship for more than 1 month and heard nothing regarding my comments to them. Not an apology, not a "thanks for your comments" , not even a correction on my oversharges--nothing, zip, who cares--nothing. It is apparent to me many love Celebrity and have a loyalty to Century---we assumed we would have too. Does Cruise Critic have the ability and desire to open a dialogue and bring all our concerns to them? I just want to know that something is being done. Again Thank you for your work--if nothing else you have provided me a cathartic escape.

ND Traveler

Archived