I’m Onboard Celebrity Century – Got Any Questions?

Carolyn,

Glad things are getting sunnier for you. On our last cruise I noticed several tables half empty. I probably would've just asked one of the people if I could sit with them that night, but of course that's probably not the proper thing to do (I am new to cruising, so I don't know all the "rules"). We did tell our table mates when we wouldn't be there, and our waiter welcomed us back most warmly when we returned.

But the real reason for my post - why are you getting off at Tallinn? My in-laws were from Estonia, and my DH wants to do this cruise sooo badly, so we have started to save! I can't wait to read more. I've already started making notes for our trip.

The word all over the ship is that Galaxy is the next to get the refurb treatment – but everyone who mentions it gives another time frame for its drydock (somewhere between January – March). Do not take this as gospel, it’s just a rumor. But it’s good news for Galaxy, anyway!

Carolyn

The alarm this morning didn’t come from a clock (or, er, from a cell phone :o) but from the fog horns and, indeed, fog is draped around the ship like a second skin. I can hear that there’s another ship out there, somewhere, cause it blares its horn back, though from a bit of a distance.

It’s 6:15 a.m. – and the atmosphere is completely exotic and romantic, sort of. I can’t see anything from our balcony but the chilly air, nice after heat waves at home and then in Amsterdam, smells sweet. The good news is that there’s the slightest touch of blue overhead so I suspect the fog will burn off in time for our entry into the archipelago. And if not? We’re coming out the same way tonight that we went in. Could mean another balcony dinner tonight!

Carolyn

Speaking of which (back to preceding message), falling into the category of the sublime was last night’s dinner at Murano. One thing different about this ship (as opposed to alterative restaurants on other cruise line’s vessels) is that passengers here are encouraged to book as often at Murano’s as they want – and even when there’s a waiting list the exceptional staff there tends to get them a table. Maybe not a just “this time” on “this night” but sometime.

There’s one passenger onboard, a Celebrity regular, who has booked for each night of the cruise and he has the same table each night.

It almost seemed like Cruise Critic night at Murano’s as there were a handful of folks I recognized from the morning’s get-together.

The cover charge is a stiff $30 per person – that’s as high as it gets in cruising’s alternative restaurants – but I have to say it’s worth it (must be as I’ve been twice!). Beyond the quality of the food, which is high, the service and the at-table cooking is almost like being part of a reality cooking show. Dominick, the restaurant’s big, er, cheese, offered me a treatise on cheeses last night that was so fascinating and enlightening I think that the cheeses even tasted better than usual!

There are two menus and they crisscross. One is a’la carte and is a four course meal. You start off with an appetizer (lobster bisque vs. goat cheese soufflé vs. foie gras – oh my!), move on to an entrée, such as rack of lamb en croute, then to a cheese course, then to dessert, where the only viable option is the sweet, delicate Grand Marnier soufflé (well, there are others, I’ve just never been able to bypass the soufflé). My first night onboard, I left well-sated, or let me say stuffed, and a bit fuzzy-headed from the wine I chose.

Ironically, the other menu, called the exceptionale, offers more courses -- the lobster bisque and foie gras (or goat cheese soufflé), a mango granite, the lamb or a choice of sole stuffed with lobster mousse, and then cheese and dessert. But this time each course is paired with wine and I have to say the foie gras, which I chose both times, was even more delicious with the sauternes that was matched with it (rather than the South African chardonnay I’d picked). It costs a hefty $100 (plus the $30 service fee) but when you consider that the wines are of a very high quality (particularly loved the sweet Tokai, served with the Grand Marnier soufflé to finish off the meal) it offered a chance to try styles that would typically be outside of my budget.

The harpist, whose played in the alternative restaurants on Millennium ships for years, offers an exquisite touch. And even better? The meal and the wine pours are so finely choreographed that you walk out feeling…anything but stuffed and fuzzy-headed.

Carolyn

I haven’t said much about Century’s refurb so let’s hit the high points for now – and please, let me know if you have any questions. The biggest aspects of this major five week job (the ship returned from drydock in late May):

*Obviously the balconies. Adding 314 balconies to a ship that only had a handful is a massive job. They’re compact – about average in size – and have immensely useful furnishings. No lounges (though you could probably squeeze one in) but a nice sturdy wood-topped table for dining and two mesh chairs). By the way the furnishings all adhere to the new fire regulations as a result of changes made because of the Star Princess balcony fire. They have nicely private dividers; those surrounding my balcony don’t open upon request but if you want to know if some do, let me know.

*Murano’s. The ship’s alternative restaurant, it was carved out of a space that once was lobby (how much lobby does any ship need, really : )) ). It’s charming; unlike those on the larger ships this one is light in style, the signature Murano glass unusually is cream colored rather than the more typical festive hued that you associate from the famed Venetian glassmaker. One table for four is tucked away in its “wine cellar” – cool space. There’s another romantic alcove on the other side (all tables for two) and then the larger tables are out by the windows, on the port side. On our cruise it meant that most evenings so far we’ve watched the sun set…oh, so late!...though of course that will change when the ship heads south.

*The AquaSpa. Haven’t tried the spa yet (will, I promise) but it’s one of the prettiest I’ve ever seen at sea and I get a visceral pleasure just walking through it (indeed, I bearded another lion yesterday by walking through the spa and into the fitness center and giving it a go on the machines). The spa was completely gutted – there’s absolutely nothing remaining from its previous incarnation. There is no longer a thalassotherapy pool – that was removed to make room for more treatment rooms, the Persian Garden, the relaxation room and, which I think I already mentioned, the Barber Shop for men (ironically the only time I’ve seen a man in the spa getting a haircut he was on the ladies’ side…hmmmm). And there’s also the acupuncture facility, adjacent, separate but not within the spa. And as I also pointed out – the first treatment room designed for folks with disabilities which is a tremendous addition.

*The Aqua Café, unlike those on the Millennium-class ships that are part of the solarium pool, is actually a free-standing café and here’s a tip: the folks in charge of cuisine at Murano’s oversee the spa-stuffs here. Make it a must-visit.

*The Fun Factory. For kids, it’s located on deck four, unusual in this day and age when most kids’ centers are up high, with lots of windows. There are none here and it’s just a playroom, really, though six cabins were removed to expand it (the ship gets a good handful of kids on its European itineraries but expects more when it relocates to four and five night Caribbean cruises later this year). The counselors are high energy and keep them pretty well occupied with activities all over the ship.

*X-Treme. New is a teen-only facility and in all candor, one ship executive noted it hasn’t really worked, saying its décor was too sophisticated. Teens, he said, didn’t feel comfortable there. Have to say I think it was beautifully elegant with its dark paneled walls and 1960s streamlined couches and chairs – reminded me of rooms in a James Bond flick – but then again I’m far from a teen. The ship is planning a modest redecoration sometime soon.

Carolyn

It's good advice. And I don't see why the heck not? (come to Jesus meeting, LOL)

And thanks for the nice note!

Carolyn

Carolyn

Personally I would have done what you did and not said a word to anyone but had a "come to Jesus meeting" with that Maitre d and told him in private his customer service skills were lacking. You would be surprised how things would change and he would be very apologetic. It has happened to me on ships where someone got out of hand and I just pulled them aside and told them the facts of life.

Glad you are having a good cruise. I saw you on a TV show last week about Cruise Safety on the Travel Channel,, its was a very interesting show and you came across very well.

Don

ps, Can a Jewish person have a come to jesus meeting? My bosses did with me periodically so I still use the term,, lol

Thank you Carolyn for keeping us informed, I can't wait to get my Century "fix" every day from you!

I am interested in the balcony dividers, particularly cabins #1135 and #1137 on the Penthouse deck, aft. They are CC cabins if that matters. We would love to be able to extend our balcony room with our friends if possible! Also, is it possible to request the "wine room" for our reservation at Muranos? Maybe if we asked what day and time the wine room is available would be a better way to go about it? Sounds like the staff there is a bit more accomodating? It is my first Celebrity cruise, and we are not entitled to making our reservation until we board, but I'll be there first thing!

Thanks again, and have a wonderful time.:)

Carolyn, I am very disappointed to read of the treatment you are receiving aboard Century. It is inexcusable :mad: ! I sincerely hope it improves.

As one who has often sailed solo, I, too, have been the recipient of some less than stellar treatment, but never on X. It seems that lately I read more bad than good about the line and they have always been a favorite of mine.

I read your postings regularly while you were on Crown. I will checking for updates on this sailing as well. I know that you are a small ship fan as I am and I have been anxiously awaiting for you to sail on Century.

I have 5 cabins booked on her for November for my wedding and sincerely wish I had chosen differently but now can only hope for the best.

I surely hope things get significantly better for you and for future passengers.

We have a Sky Suite and several 2A balconies on 8. Which deck are you on?

Other posters indicated areas that appeared to overlooked in the refit. Have you seen these?

Have you visited the AquaSpa cafe?

Enjoy the Baltics and I do hope these first two days were not indicative of the whole cruise.

Carolyn,

Thanks so much for posting your unvarnished experiences on the Century. I have been fortunate to have good to excellent service on my two X cruises, but I've never travelled alone on the line. Good for you for letting the "higher ups" know about this transgression.

We're booked on Galaxy next fall, so thanks for passing on the little tidbit that you heard. I wonder if our "Oceanview" will become a balcony cabin?!? On what deck is your stateroom located?

I look forward to your next few posts so that I can relive our recent Baltic visit on the Constellation.

Have an amazing time!!

Hi Carolyn, I am guessing you sailed CENTURY prior to her

upgrade?

She has always been my favorite ship. Can you tell me your personal

thoughts on how she "feels"....as opposed to prior......

I thought she was perfect..not too big or too small with that beautiful

understated elegance.

Did she keep her ambiance? That part of her was always so impressive

to me...she had the most wonderful ambiance.

Did enlarging her take away from that feeling?

I realize this is an opinion type of question but as Editor of this

site I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks.

Lois-

I am thinking you have been misinformed. Century was not enlarged per se; just some areas reconfigured to give more space in the public areas and, of course, added balconies. The ship is still as large or small as it was. I have sailed on Century 20 times before the refit---and will be on it 9/25 in Europe. I am confident it kept the same ambiance, because most of that came from the wonderful staff.

Thank you so very much Carolyn . You are providing a very much needed service

As a "little old lady" travelling alone, I too have been given the same treatment as you received. (and not just on the ship, but in ship booked hotels/diningrooms - especially in Rome)

Think you must have got the same staff as was on Infinity the last time I sailed on that ship. The Maire D' shown that my omelet was running uncooked liquid all over the plate, told me "you should have asked for it to be well done"!!, instead of English Breakfast tea I got Camomile Herb tea, etc etc.

The Cova on that trip had no tablecloths, no menus, "did not serve tea, and only regular coffee" the one plate of 4 Danish looked very stale. A note to the officer in charge remained un answered, next day the Cova was the same - in fact thought the Danish were the same 4!!!.

Went to Reception, explained I wished to see O/i/c of Cova, told "He is very busy", Iinformed the staff that I would sit on the nearby seat "Until he comes no matter how long that may take" He came , looked about 19yrs old, wanted to talk there in public, but I insisted on going to his office (very polite ly but very firmly). His office was a mess, papers/files everywhere, on chair on floor, on cabinet etc. obviously very disorganized .

We had a very serious talk. Next day.NEW STAFF at the Cova, tablecloths, menus, all kinds of tea, all kinds of coffee, and a very wide selction of "goodies" all fresh and smelling wonderful.

Dining room did not improve, but on last night not one at my table gave the Maitre D' a tip and we even cut back on the tip we gave our very bad waiter.

Going on Infinity in Sept (25 days) and again in March (28 days) may dao 17 on Century Dec 2007Transatlantic

Keep up the good work of truthful reporting as a "regular passenger" .

Hi Carolyn:

My wife and I will be aboard the Century when it departs Amsterdam on 14 August. Therefore, discovering that you're on the ship right now is indeed fortunate!

Yesterday I read Julie's review of a Century cruise she took last month in which she reports that much of the shop's exterior was in bad need of repair (such as corroded lights by the pool area, and rusty/dirty areas in the after section. Did you notice this as well?

The second, and most important, question I have concerns excursions. There is VERY little information provided about where the ship docks relative to the downtown areas of the cities visited. Since the excursions in St Pete will cost plenty (no other way to handle the visa requirement), we want to economize by going out on our own, following the walking tours suggested by Fodors and Frommers. I’ve read that cruise ships typically tag on a hefty overhead for excursion compared to the same venue that one could obtain locally (your experience?).

Julie (thanks again, Julie) pointed out that the ship charges a $10 shuttle fee per person for the “15-20 minute journey to the downtown area” when she and her husband found the central Stockholm, Helsinki, Tallin, and Copenhagen areas “were easily accessible” by walking from the ship. Other information I’ve read suggests the same for Oslo. Can you please confirm whether this is possible and/or advisable?

Having said this, are there any excursions that you would definitely recommend not missing? For St. Pete we are considering the following two-day excursion (Alla Tour Design) for a party of eight that costs roughly $324 per person. Does this sound like a fair deal?

Thanks,

<BK>

August 20th, Sunday

9:00am Meet at the ship. Visit to Synagogue

9:00 – 10:00am Drive to Tsars Village

10:00 – 11:00am Excursion in Catherine’s palace; walk in the park

12:00 – 1:00pm Return drive to the city

1:00 – 2:00pm Lunch (extra costs)

2:30 – 4:30pm Excursion in the Hermitage

4:45 – 6:00pm Free time for walk along Nevsky prospect; coffee break

Dinner?

6:30 – 8:30pm Folk show at Nicholas Palace (not compulsory – is optional)

9:00pm Return to the ship

August 21st, Monday

8:00am Meet at the ship

9:00 – 12:00City tour with inside visits to Peter and Paul Cathedral, Church on the Blood and St Isaac Cathedral

12:00 – 1:00pm Lunch (extra cost)

1:15 – 2:00pm Drive to Peterhof

2:00 – 3:30pm Walk in the Fountain Park

3:30- 4:30pm Drive to the city. On the way visiting the metro and possible ride

5:00pm Return to the ship

ask 'em at Murano's -- the wine room is lovely. It was set for four when I peeked in but it's a big table so don't know but it could go to six....

Will have to ask about balcony di

Thank you Carolyn for keeping us informed, I can't wait to get my Century "fix" every day from you!

I haven't heard anyone complain about not being able to get in to Murano's, they really will try to get all in there....

Carolyn

I am interested in the balcony dividers, particularly cabins #1135 and #1137 on the Penthouse deck, aft. They are CC cabins if that matters. We would love to be able to extend our balcony room with our friends if possible! Also, is it possible to request the "wine room" for our reservation at Muranos? Maybe if we asked what day and time the wine room is available would be a better way to go about it? Sounds like the staff there is a bit more accomodating? It is my first Celebrity cruise, and we are not entitled to making our reservation until we board, but I'll be there first thing!

Thanks again, and have a wonderful time.:)

Many thanks to all of you for such supportive responses – the oddly strange experience the other night in the dining room. It was hard to write and a little scary, and your honest feedback has meant much to me.

Got a call today from Keith, the hotel manager, who asked me to sit down for a spell. I can’t say I didn’t know what it was going to be about – even though “unannounced,” the thread is being read by folks in house and on board. I will say that this executive, who I’d earlier described as straightforward, lived up to his straight-shooter mode, a quality I totally respect. He was clearly upset that the experience happened, not just to me but also to any passenger on board. I told him I’d give him his say here…and so here it goes:

“I’ve spoken to my people…there is no excuse,” he says. “But I have 100 percent faith in my team, in their professionalism in hospitality, that they are very dedicated. And that’s why it hurt so much (to hear about the dining room fiasco).

“I just hope that as a team we can learn from this. If anything positive comes out of this it will make a much smoother and stronger guest experience.”

To his credit he explained what happened that night and said, forthrightly, that “the wheels just fell off”.

I will say that I’ve been on ships on which there were real issues and their executives always managed to deflect their shortcomings onto the passengers (seriously, I have – haven’t you???). What was impressive here is that Keith apologized right out, accepted responsibility and was trying to figure out how to use this lesson as a way to improve in the future. I give him credit for such a healthy – and smart – business philosophy.

Carolyn

Keith really emphasized that as hotel director anyone who was unhappy with anything under his purview (shore ex, restaurant, cabins, entertainment, etc.) -- well that he hoped they'd come to them. I have to say that surprised me. I'd always seen hotel directors on ships as part of the senior hierarchy -- unreachable. I'd felt like if I'd had to beard any lion (my cliche of the day) it'd be the restaurant manager. But it was interesting to hear him say that if you're unhappy, just go to the top, don't pass go, don't pay (or get) $200. Let him try to fix the problem.

I challenge you to do just that thing, should you be unhappy on a ship. Frankly at this point, if I'm going to be miffed about something onboard, I hope Keith is the overseer -- as I feel like he'd listen and make the proper amends.

Carolyn

Carolyn--

So sorry to read of what happened to you - but sadly, I wasn't surprised at your dismal treatment and the continued unprofessionalism of the Maitre'd and waiters. Seems they've forgotten (or have they never been told?) who the customer is.

What I am surprised at is that someone here would slam you for your candor regarding your experience and feelings - a definate lack of class on his part.

Glad that you got a response to your issue tho - let's hope that it results in real improvements not just for you but for the entire line.

Thanks so much for your honesty.

The Hotel Director on the Connstellation was the most approachable officer on the ship! She was interested in every detail of the operations and wanted to know if anything, including the absence of hair care products in the stores and spas, could be improved. We were very impressed by her.

And we have never encountered finer service or a higher morale than we saw on the Constellation.

Susan

Carolyn, I am really pleased you spoke with him about it and

that the rest of your cruise is positive:)

As for Hotel Managers, when I had my poor experience on HAL I

requested a meeting with theirs and yes, I was made to feel like

it was "my fault".

As for Celebrity, I must say Daniel Elias was probably the nicest

and most approachable Hotel Director I have ever had the opportunity

to meet. Too bad he is no longer with the company.

Anyone know who the HD is on the Millennium?

-----------------------------------------------------

Passion, I guess I worded my earlier post incorrectly.

But I still wanted to know if the "OVERHAUL" changed

her ambiance.

I am no where close to your 20 sailings on her but after 3 times

she has always been my favorite ship.

Thank you for your review of Century. I have never cruised on board Celebrity before but I do plan to in the future. I appreciate your candid review of the service that you have received so far. I'm glad to hear that the the Hotel Manager has acknowleged the problems. I am considering travelling solo on my next cruise to the Baltics as my husband has no interest in that particular itinerary, so it is particularly interesting to hear about how you were treated as a solo cruiser. Hopefully, the crew and staff of Cenury will get their act together soon.

Enjoy the rest of your trip. Hopefully things will go alot better now that you have had a chance to speak with management.

By the way, what is foie gras? I've heard from many who enjoy it but I haven't yet figured out what it is.

By the way, what is foie gras? I've heard from many who enjoy it but I haven't yet figured out what it is.

"Foie gras [fwɑ gʁɑ] (French for "fat liver") is the fattened liver of a duck or goose that has been overfed. Along with truffles, foie gras is considered one of the greatest delicacies in French cuisine. It is very rich and buttery, with a delicate flavour unlike regular duck or goose liver.

Some animal rights organizations regard the production method as cruel because it involves force-feeding the birds through a funnel. Foie gras production is illegal in several jurisdictions." Wilkipedia

Archived