Venice airport to ship by private water taxi help please

SandyR5

Hi - I have a specific question for you. We will be two couples arriving in Venice "day of" cruise. We want to take a private water taxi from the airport to the ship. Where do we get the taxi? How much does it cost? Does that include luggage? Does it drop us right near the ship? Thanks in advance. :)

Hi - I have a specific question for you. We will be two couples arriving in Venice "day of" cruise. We want to take a private water taxi from the airport to the ship. Where do we get the taxi? How much does it cost? Does that include luggage? Does it drop us right near the ship? Thanks in advance. :)

Hi again,

Here is another link from the same web site that talks about getting from the airport to the ship. The cheapest and easiest way would be to use the ship arranged transportation which will take care of you and your luggage probably in a big bus and will deliver you right to the cruise terminal. If you really want to take a water taxi they are available at a stand right down from the airport, 5-10 minute walk, downhill. There is a stand where they will assign you the next available water taxi. It will run you 70-80 euros but that that should cover all 4 of you and your luggage and they again will drop you off right at the cruise terminal.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/arriving_in_venice.htm

Have a great next cruise.

You will need to get to the dock outside the airport. I know when I was there they had a shuttle service to it, but I thought I read here that that was stopped, not sure. Walking to the dock is about 10 minutes. I believe it is around 100Euro for a private water taxi. Here is a website you can book in advance, not sure how good they are.

http://www.venicewelcome.com/servizi/taxi/watertaxi.htm

Also, have you considered a land taxi? I believe it will take you right to the port and it is only around 40euro.

Thanks for your post so far. We have considered a land taxi and we would take that if we were alone, but we're traveling with friends who have never been to Venice. (We obviously have been there already) We just thought that would be a great way to see the city and much better than a goldola ride.

Hi SandyR5!

Here is probably the best site I have found with respect to finding a water taxi to take you directly to the ship/hotel. It is http://www.veniceguideandboat.it/transferapt.htm. When you click toward the bottom, there is a series of pictures with an arrow to show you how you can get from the airport exit to the water taxi dock (Look for "Please click here to see a series of pictures showing you the way to the water taxi dock."). This really helped me to understand the distance. I am a visual person and this clarified things for me.

We will be doing the reverse cruise. We will need a water taxi in Venice to the airport and I think this is the one we will use.

Good luck and have a memorable cruise!:D

Seacrystal, thanks for the Venice Guide and Boat link. Although very expensive their deluxe transfer from the airport to the hotel sounds like exactly what we need. FIL is in a wheelchair and I can't see how we would navigate through public transportation with luggage for a 21 day trip And the wheelchair.

If anyone uses them before the end of October I'd be interested in your opnion of their services.

Lou

SA Traveler - we used Luigi from Veniceguideand boat a few weeks ago. He met us right at the dock and took us on a scenic tour to our hotel. The walk is a very easy, on a flat, covered surface. You probably will have a porter if you ordered a wheelchair, check with the airline to see if they will walk with you to the dock. There were 6 of us with luggage and he charged 90 euros. He also picked us up the next day for a grand canal tour and then dropped us at the cruise ship. His wife, Cinzia owns the company - we also did a walking tour with her in Venice and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves!

Enjoy!

I'm so glad you had a good experience with Venice Guide and Boat. FIL will have his own wheelchair. I've read a lot about how hard it is to get porters to help with the luggage and that is why we're considering using the deluxe service even though it is ridiculously expensive.

Lou

Hi to all who have been so helpful so far - Now for another question. How long a ride is it, in a water taxi, from the airport to the ship? How long would it be in a land taxi? In the water taxi, will we pass St. Marks Square and/or other beautiful sights? We've been to Venice but our friends have not and we think this would be a great way to introduce them to this wonderful city. Thanks again.

Land Taxi will be about 20 minutes. Water I think will depend, I think you could do that in 30-40 minutes but if you want to see extra sites probably longer.

Not sure about water taxis but the water bus does only go 1 way and that would be past St. Marks.

Thanks - If the water bus passes St. Marks Square I would like to assume that the water taxis also pass it. After all, how many different ways are there to reach the dock? (Probably lots. ;) ) Anyone else know??

I took the land bus last year and I cannot remember if the route from the mainland to the island would even allow anything in the water to go under it. If not then I think the only other way would be for the water taxi to take the Grand Canal through the island to the port. But I think that would be even longer. Look at the link below, it shows the map of the water bus route and you can see what I mean about the strip from the mainland to the island.

http://www.veniceairport.it/page/servizi/trasporti/motoscafo?m=01020203

Hi - That map makes it look like the water taxi route is quite long and it would definitely pass St. Marks Square as well as lots of other sights...but it looks like it would take a long, long time.

That map is for the water bus, which does take quite a long time, I think when we took it from the airport late at night to St. Marks it was over an hour. But if you take a water taxi you will avoid all the stops so that will shorten the trip but I think I remember reading it is still at least 30-40 minutes? I just happened on a website that is interesting and may need further investigating. It looks like as of July 10 water taxis cannot stop at the port. See this link

http://www.veniceguideandboat.it/transferport.htm

Not sure how true this is, will have to check further.

Hi to all who have been so helpful so far - Now for another question. How long a ride is it, in a water taxi, from the airport to the ship? How long would it be in a land taxi? In the water taxi, will we pass St. Marks Square and/or other beautiful sights? We've been to Venice but our friends have not and we think this would be a great way to introduce them to this wonderful city. Thanks again.

You are absolutely correct. If your friends have not been to Venice, treat them to their first sight of the city by entering by water, if you can afford it. A water-taxi from the airport to P. Roma sharing the overall cost of around 100 euros would not be expensive and even though micruiser2002's link showed a suspension of services at the port cruise companies usually offer their own free shuttle. A land taxi through the industrial area of Mestre does not bear comparison, unless you are watching the pennies.

Well...I guess I'll have to wait another week or two and post a new question about the water taxis. It will be a shame if they will no longer be able to take us directly to the ship from the airport. I hope whatever dispute there is going on is settled and things will return to usual before our trip. I really think the water taxi is the way to "see" Venice the first time and as long as we're splitting the cost, it's well worth it.

Sandy,

Regarding the link to the "Venice Guide and Boat" site, when they mention that they no longer offer the shuttle, what they are referring to is, they used to have a free shuttle from the airport terminals to the dock where you can pick up the water bus or taxi. That free shuttle is no longer avaialable, and you will need to walk (aprox 1/2 mile) to the dock. Once there, you can take a water taxi or bus into Venice proper. Here is the website for the Venice public transportation, http://www.alilaguna.it You can even put in To and From and it will give you a route map and tell you which boat, line etc. Best info I've been able to find on dealing with the water taxis and busses. Have a great time.

Michael

...I just happened on a website that is interesting and may need further investigating. It looks like as of July 10 water taxis cannot stop at the port. See this link

http://www.veniceguideandboat.it/transferport.htm

Not sure how true this is, will have to check further.

Perhaps someone that is interested in taking the water taxi from the airport to the pier should consider making an inquiry with the water taxi consortium at this site www.veneziataxi.it/english/contattaci.html.

HI - We want to go directly to the ship...with all our luggage...so St. Marks Square won't do. I still think a private water taxi, taking the 4 of us with our luggage, would be the coolest way to get to the ship. You've all done a great job helping me out.

Archived