Tips for POH and Hawaii

2cruiseagain

I just thought of another tip. Next door to the Thrifty car rental office in Maui, there is a wholesale shirt shop. They had t-shirts, hats, Hawaiian shirts, towells, shorts, golf shirts, etc. all at great prices. They were the same shirts we saw all over the islands and all about 30% cheaper. It is an older looking building that actually had a sign on the front door that said "Yes We Are Open" My son and I were returning the car and ended up buying shirts and hats for lots of friends and family.

I just called Thrifty and they will not mail you the maps for the Islands...just thought I would pass that along!!:(

Letha

That's ashame. I brought 1 back from Maui and it has a lot of great info about the island w/maps and coupons etc. I wonder if you called directly to the Hawaii location where the maps are sitting right in front of them, if you couldn't get someone to do a favor and drop it in the mail. Maybe if you sent a self addressed stamped envelope or something...

I mean no offense, but why would you expect them to mail maps to you? Of course if you rent from them on the islands, then they will give you their maps, but otherwise, they're not in the map business and I imagine that mailing maps to everyone who asked for one would cost them quite a bit in time and money.

Just wondering. I've never expected a car rental company to mail me maps.

Edited: Okay, I see that you got the idea from the OP's list. It's still not something I would expect them, or any car rental company, to do.

beachchick

You can get the maps here http://www.driveguidemagazines.com/hawaiimaps.html

I didn't check but they used to be about $4 for each Island.

You should start a new thread for this topic with the link. It is the same publisher as the magazine they give you on the Thrifty rental shuttle.

If you could buy these, the coupons alone might be worth the price.

We just got our maps from the local AAA office. Called them, and they sent a set of Hawaii maps and a Hawaii tour book. Thought I would pass this along, as we almost didn't think of it either, since this is a cruise...:cool:

JW

POH 8/28/06

Ouch!!! LOL Did you take in any night time shows or anything like that...was wondering what kind of things they had that you could do at night.

Letha

The night-time show was the previous poster's wife taking off her duct tape strapless bra!!

I just thought of another tip. Next door to the Thrifty car rental office in Maui, there is a wholesale shirt shop. They had t-shirts, hats, Hawaiian shirts, towells, shorts, golf shirts, etc. all at great prices. They were the same shirts we saw all over the islands and all about 30% cheaper. It is an older looking building that actually had a sign on the front door that said "Yes We Are Open" My son and I were returning the car and ended up buying shirts and hats for lots of friends and family.

That sounds like the T-Shirt Factory. Next time you are

in say hello to our friend Angie!

For other good deals on tourist items, you can always

check at WalMart and Longs as well.

That sounds like the T-Shirt Factory. Next time you are

in say hello to our friend Angie!

For other good deals on tourist items, you can always

check at WalMart and Longs as well.

It was T-Shirt factory! Do they print the shirts, or do they just have low overhead? Either way, I thought the prices were great! Granted, I like Crazy Shirts, but at $28 per shirt, I could by at least 2 drinks on the POH:D

jeep could be harsh. It's a very windy road, but great if you have clear views of it.

Healeakala is great. Bring an extra blanket and everything because it gets very cold.

As for the books, i thought of this while i was down in hawaii. Why not have a service that sends people local stuff like the maps and tourist books for a nominal fee, for say a dollar or something plus the mail fee. I think it'd be a great thing to do

• 5 months later...

Hi 2cruiseagain,

Loved your write-up. I have a question for you. I'm debating how to see Na Pali. I know the ship goes by, there's zodiac, helicopter, and fixed wing (hiking seems out of the question). Can you provide pros/cons? How close does the ship get to the coastline? I guess what I'm trying to decide is if the Zodiac is worth it or not since the ship sails by there.

On Hawaii, did you here of anyone going to Wai'po Valley?

jeep could be harsh. It's a very windy road, but great if you have clear views of it.

Healeakala is great. Bring an extra blanket and everything because it gets very cold.

As for the books, i thought of this while i was down in hawaii. Why not have a service that sends people local stuff like the maps and tourist books for a nominal fee, for say a dollar or something plus the mail fee. I think it'd be a great thing to do

That does sound like a great idea, but it would almost certainly be a money-losing proposition for the company that does it, especially if you are referring to books like the Revealed series. There's no way they could keep in business because the cost to them would be far higher than $1. I realize that it could be helpful to those planning to visit (who would, of course, spend money), but who is going to reimburse the "service" that sends out the books? They won't be the ones getting the tourist dollars. Plus, I'd lay odds as to the number of people who would order maps and books who had no plans to visit the islands. If you mean that the tourism department should do it, they would have to hire the staff to keep up with demands, which would become costly pretty fast.

There are many, many mainland sources for Hawaii information, maps, and books. The internet; libraries; used book stores; new book stores; automobile associations (like AAA). IMO, it simply isn't that difficult to use the existing sources to find information.

beachchick

Archived