Have only been on Sun. Should we go for the Jewel?

We keep going back and forth. Booked the Sun from NO 10/22 but have found an attractive rate for the Jewel 11/5. Sun going to Mexico...Jewel to San Juan, Antigua, St. John, St. Thomas and their private island.

We know the Sun..have cruised on her 3 times.

We don't know the Jewel. How's the food/entertainment??? Cruise director?

Would like to hear your ideas.

We aren't really interested in doing a lot of excursions, having been to Mexico.

Have not yet seen San Juan or Antigua.

We want to relax, get some sun, spend time by the pool and maybe do some snorkeling, or get some beach time. Pike around a few shops... That's about it.

We can get balconys for either one. What would you do?

I think you should switch your sailing to the Jewel on 11/5 -- we'll be there :D . Unfortunately, I can't offer you any comparisons on the ship or itinerary. We've been on the Sun once (Alaska) and done the Western Caribbean twice, but this will be our first time for both the Jewel and the Eastern Caribbean.

From what I read, if you are interested in beach time and shopping, the Eastern Caribbean would probably be a good choice. Our friends went on the Jewel last year and thoroughly enjoyed it and have talked us into going with them this year.

Ute-fan is right: it's time to switch. We have been on both and they rate number 1 and 2 for us after 20 plus cruises; which, is which, I am not sure, but think I give the nod to the Jewel. It is just beautiful. One of my favorite places, which the Sun does not have is the Blue Lagoon for late night snacks or lunch. Yes, the sports bar on the Sun does offer a similar menu, but it just isn't the same. The cabins are about the same size. I think the lay out of the Sun is a little better, but the bathrooms on the Jewel are much nicer.

As for the cruise director, I don't like to blast anyone and wouldn't want to hurt feelings, but we just didn't like the gal of the Sun last April at all. After awhile she got a little better, but still really lacked the personality that we are used to: on the Jewel, well the CD and assistant are the best at sea. They mad every minute fun.

NMnita

DH & I did the Jewel's Western Caribbean itinerary last March. We we're going to do the Jewel Eastern Carib in Dec, but then found about the Pearl's 9-day Southern Carib and well...we couldn't resist ;) and booked it for Jan. 5-14.

The Jewel was fabulous!!!

You'll have a great vacation and cruise on either ship.

I would pick the itinerary you like better, or the itinerary you have never sailed on before.

Some get so attached to a ship that they never sail on another. What a shame. Variety adds spice to life, there's plenty of ships and itineraries to pick from.

I've never sailed the same ship twice, or the exact same itinerary twice, and I don't plan to for a long time.

You'll have a great vacation and cruise on either ship.

I would pick the itinerary you like better, or the itinerary you have never sailed on before.

Some get so attached to a ship that they never sail on another. What a shame. Variety adds spice to life, there's plenty of ships and itineraries to pick from.

I've never sailed the same ship twice, or the exact same itinerary twice, and I don't plan to for a long time.

I can't remember doing the same exact itinerary twice but have sailed both the Sea and the Sun twice. You are right, I love to try new ships and new itineraries, In fact we are about Caribbeaned out; that is why we are doing the Panama Canal in November and plan on doing New England next year. If I just want to go with my daughters and relax, it doesn't make much difference but it is fun to see as much as we can. The next time we do the Caribbean I think we will sail out of New York, just to be different, if there is a next time. NMNita

Nita.... please let me know how you like the Jewel...we are considering it for a trans/atlantic next October... Heard comments about shortage of chairs at the pool and not enough elevators...lots of questions.. In return..when you do New England I'll give you all the help and hiints I can.

Nita.... please let me know how you like the Jewel...we are considering it for a trans/atlantic next October... Heard comments about shortage of chairs at the pool and not enough elevators...lots of questions.. In return..when you do New England I'll give you all the help and hiints I can.
Hi Parrot MOM, as for lack of chairs, we did the Northern Atlantic crossing and the only day other than day 1 that anyone could have taken advantage of the deck and pool was the day we were in Rhode Island and most of us, after 4 days at sea and missing a port were anxious to get off the ship so those I spoke with that stayed on had no problems. I think, it is like almost all the cruises anymore, too many people on deck, too few chairs.

Other than that and 2 less than great meals, one DH had and one I had I can't think of one bad thing about the ship. It is beautiful, the crew by far the best we have encountered and that is saying a lot, the CD was great. Typical for NCL the cabins aren't large, but are layed out well and the bathrooms are much nicer than any other ship I have sailed,

Back to the crew, I know there have been a few on here lately that were not impressed with the ship or the crew. I guess this was bound to happen, sooner or later a few negatives would pop up. I would have to think that was just one or two sailings. We know not everyone enjoys the same thing, some are pickier than others, some maybe didn't get the service they had hoped and otheres just do not like freestyle cruising.

It's kinda like a review I read on the HAL board yesterday: A gentleman that was 80 years old said HAL was the worst cruise he had taken, the food was bad and everyone was old and sick. Now, remember, this guy is 80 years old. How often do you read remarks like this about HAL (he wrote a lot more as well)? NMNita

One thing I've been wondering about is who the CD will be in November. I know the Pearl comes out shortly thereafter, and I'm expecting that several of the staff who brought the Jewel out will be transferring to the Pearl. That seems to be the MO for NCL. Hopefully it won't affect the level of service on the Jewel:) .

More room around the pool then the Star or Dawn. If you can't find a seat you like poolside there are more chairs on the next two decks up. I was on the transatlantic as well lots of pictures of the pool area in the link below my signature.

As far as elevators - no more no less then any ship I have been on banks forward mid and aft.

1349756496_JewelTAFSSDview.jpg.2355551d62b6152e7975dafea85c2909.jpg

Archived