For those of you upgraded for free, a question

flagger

Let me preface this by saying, we do not expect to be upgraded at all unless we pay for it. We have purchased the most cabin in which we know we will be comfortable. Having read a few reviews of people who were visited by the upgrade fairy, including "they never upgrade me Danno", we had a question.

Were you booked into a specific cabin or just a specific category before upgrading? I am not talking about what might happen, just what actually happened in your case. I know one poster was booked in CC and moved to the RS. I know another was booked on Galaxy in a specific cabin and was upgraded.

Thanks for your answers.

On the Infinity n November 2001, we booked an outside guarantee in October and were assigned to a 2B (balcony) when we got our cruise documents.

On the Constellation in April 2003, my daughter booked an inside guarantee and was assigned to an outside when she got to the dock.

So, we're two for two using guarantees.

Cher

We have been upgraded 3 times in the past 3 years, twice on princess from a BA cat to a suite on both occasions we had a specific cabin in the BA cat.

One on Celebrity fom a 1a to a ss suite, once again we had a specific cabin in the 1a cat.

Oh, all three upgrades were free.

Phil

We were upgraded on our very first cruise on CENTURY. We had a Cat 2 GTY booked. When our cruise docs arrived, our TA notified us that we had been upgraded to a Cat 1 suite no charge. As this was our first time cruising, we didn't know what to expect. To make a long story short, we were hopelessly hooked on cruising and that first experience on CENTURY is the standard by which I measure all other ships and cruises. All of our cruises have been great, but that first cruise and the suite were the best so far, and that is saying something.

We were on the Brilliance of theSeas in April.......Chris the concierge, told us that with RC there are no more "free" upgrades, unless you have a guarantee category and they need your cabin. I would imagine that Celebrity is fast becoming the same way.......you may get an upgrade if you have a guarantee category and they need your cabin........don't know for sure but RC has apparently changed and is doing no upgrades unless you pay.

For the fall 2003 Constellation transatlantic, I booked a category 4 outside stateroom, 7008, through a local travel agent in early April 2003. I had originally intended to wait until the last minute hoping to get a super bargain, but stateroom categories that I really wanted were selling out very early so I went ahead and booked. My travel agent indicated during the booking that an upgrade would be accepted. About six weeks before embarcation my travel agent called to say that if I agreed I would be upgraded to a category 1B stern balcony stateroom, 8172.

"Throw me into that briar patch, Bre'r Fox" I cried !!

I shortly afterwards found out that the couple originally booked into 8172 had also been upgraded. They went to a category 1A stateroom.

Don't know why I was chosen to be upgraded, but I would suggest to anyone who would like an upgrade to make sure that you indicate that an upgrade would be accepted during the booking process.

I liked the stern balcony stateroom so much that I have booked another fall transatlantic in a stern balcony stateroom. This year I will be on HAL's Westerdam (a near clone to the Constellation). And I will gladly take an upgrade because that would mean going to a suite, NOT very likely.

Bill

Renaissance R6 Dec 2000

Galaxy Aug 2001

Volendam Nov 2002

Volendam Jun 2003

Constellation Oct 2003

Westerdam Nov 2004

on our 02 hal cruise to alaska we were booked into what was known then as a mini suite in a particular cabin which i booked for its location --when we arrived at the pier and was checking in we were told that we were upgraded to a full suite ---the people who had booked that particular full suite were upgraded to a penthouse:p :p :p

We booked an inside guarantee (Category 12) on the Century & we were upgraded to a Category 10. We are pleased with the upgrade & were told by Celebrity that we may be upgraded again before the sailing date.

Many Cruises

Both upgrades I've had were when I had booked specific cabins. One was from an outside cabin, I think cat 7 or 8 to Atlantic Deck 1010 (whatever they were before they were CC) and on Century I was upgraded from an inside to a CC. I LOVE YOU UPGRADE FAIRY (just in case she's reading! ;) )

i was booked in a specific cat. 2 cabin on Galaxy this past march. about 1 and a half months before the cruise i was just updating my profile and noticed a new cabin number. i was prepared to be furious or elated! i grabbed my deck plan and found my new cabin to be the new concierge class although this was not supposed to be in effect. when i arrived at my cabin door, opened it and saw all the goodies it still didnt hit me. then i looked in the bathroom and the bathmat said, "concierge class"! my cabin steward then told me it was being implemented on our voyage, truly a wonderful surprise! im now booked in a minisuite on NCL Sun in dec. and hope the upgrade fairy knows her way to the western caribbean too!

We booked a guarantee outside and we were upgraded to a balcony on the Constellation in December.

This past April we were in an outside cabin, I can't remember what category anymore. It happened to be a pretty location, but the dining room was right above us, either that or the galley. Anyway, it sounded like they were bowling over us until about 3AM and of course it started again around 5:30AM. So we asked the front desk if there was anyway they could look into the noise. They called us back later that morning and moved us waaayyyyy up. The Mercury doesn't have balanconies but I know they must have upgraded us at least two or three categories. The cabin itself was fairly similiar, but we were much higher up.

We've never, ever been upgraded on HAL...even when we had lukewarm water in the shower in Alaska (the ship was NOT full, they just didn't want to give up a suite) and the A/C in our cabin broke, in the Caribbean no less.

Stephanie

So a general question...I have booked a Cat 8 GTY on Century. 2 days after booking, I checked online and was assigned a Cat 8 Outside room. No real issues...but, is it possible that Celebrity might upgrade me still or should I get comfortable now with the assigned room?

On the Mercury in Alaska last fall we had booked a Sky Suite and found at the time of embarkation that we had been upgraded to a Royal! Talk about a pleasant surprise. No one could (or would) tell us the why of it, but only that it just "happens". Not complaining, mind you, we were just curious. Only other times were with garuantees, but i am not sure those would count.

Always assume you will be in the cabin assigned and come to terms with that. You would not find out about an upgrade until:

you get final documents, or

you get to port, or

you get onboard, or (in my case)

as you are unpacking!

But plan on being in the assigned cabin. Anything else that happens is just gravey! The Upgrade Fairy is very fickle, she will hit you when you least expect it and pass you by when you think it is a sure thing!

Boy, all you lucky upgraded cruisers! NO WONDER that we have never been upgraded in 13 cruises, you have sucked ALL of the free upgrades that have ever been! I know, that there can be NO MORE left! LOL :D

We are sooooo...............happy. :D

We were originally booked in a specific CS, #6106 for Millennium 2 years ago, (I had selected it as a surprise to my DH for our anniversary) When we checked in the Social Hostess greeted and informed us we had been upgraded to a Royal Suite. It was wonderful and the surprise for my DH wound up being a wonderful surprise for both of us!!! Don't know why we were chosen, sure hope it happens again sometime!!

I dont understand what everyone means by "guaranteed cabins",etc. We have always picked certains cabins and have always ended up in the one we chose. (We've always went w/a balcony) I guess I'm not understanding what the meaning of guaranteed means in reference to booking a certain cabin number? Am I totally not with it or what? Thanks for your help, again!

First Noel, a guaranty is for a certain category..not a certain cabin. They are saying for this amount of $$ you are guaranteed cat 8..just giving you an example.

Sometimes you might not find out what cabin you are getting until you hit the ship but usually it will arrive in your documents.

When you book a specific cabin...that is what you are getting and you get that from the start. I can't give you an answer about how people are "given upgrades".

I upgraded for my next sailing.....had originally gone with an inside cabin, but then we decided it wasn't that much more to have a window...but nothing was "given".

Hope this helps:).

We booked a Cat. 8 Gty on the Galaxy for a New Year's cruise 2 1/2 years ago and they upgraded both our cabins to a Cat. 4. However, they never assigned our cabin until about 3 weeks before the cruise. I think you still have a chance to be upgraded with the Cat. 8 Gty. even if they've already assigned you a Cat. 8 cabin. I'd just keep checking.

• 8 months later...

We've had several 1 or 2 category upgrades, but the best unexpected upgrade we got was for a March 2001 10nt on Infinity from Honolulu to Ensenada. We had booked a minimum inside guarantee, and they gave us a cat 2c balcony cabin! Needless to say, we were thrilled!:D

Three cases of upgrades.

1) On our upcoming cruise we booked a 2A GTY and ended up in Concierge Class

2) On my in-laws cruise in January, they booked a Category 9 inside paid in full and were happy with what they had. Come 3 weeks before the cruise, their agent noticed a sudden price drop in Category 5 equal to what they had paid. Right away the agent jumped called Celebrity and upgraded them to the Category 5 Oceanview. No added charge, just a better room.

3) On our last cruise we had booked a Catergory 9 inside and then a week before Celebrity called and asked if we wanted to upgrade to a Category 5 Oceanview for $100/pp. It was a steal due to the fact that if I wanted to pay for this kind of an upgrade without the cruiselines offer it would have cost me $800/pp.

One last upgrade was given by Carnival. Book inside GTY and ended up with a fairly nice Oceanview cabin.

I have also paid for upgrades once at the ship, from inside cabin to a Celebrity Suite. It doubled the price of our cruise, but was worth every penny.

Been on 6 X cruises..with inside guarantees, specific staterooms, and once a specific suite...never an upgrade! Also over 5 cruises with various other lines...no upgrades! Some people are just lucky I guess..We always book and pay for what we are willing to live with for that particular cruise..then hope for the best....have always been happy with what we have....

Any cruise is better than a day on land...!

On our last cruise, Infinity 12/5/05, we had booked a cat. 11 inside cabin. In checking our booking online, I discovered we had been upgraded to a cat. 7. We ended up in a cabin across the hall from the original cabin but with a nice window. Luckily they left us on the same lower deck, midship. It was a rather rough crossing to Hawaii. We were very glad to have our cabin where it was. A lot of others up high and in back got seasick on the voyage.

Archived