Store hours in ports?

Sarahgraci

It depends on the port but often as buzzandjulie said - the stores close when the ships leave. Some stores in Skagway closed at 5pm or 6pm when we were there but that was July 4th so it might be different if not on a holiday.

The stores in Juneau and Ketchikan stayed open later but our ship left the ports in these cities earlier than Skagway.

Yes indeed..........pretty funny to see how many people are strolling around at the shops, and then while our ship was leaving, the streets were totally bare and we saw no movement. I believe that was in Juneau. Our ship,The Sapphire Princess, was the last to leave that day. I just had fun going around and trying to collect all of the "free" merchandise that I got by buying the $20 savvy book. Even though, most were probably not worth much, I did get some very nice earrings and other things. If you do it, just don't get sucked into the "oh, let me show you something while I get your gift".......I just told them, no thank you, I have so much jewerly now, that I can't possibly wear it all. Stand firm and they walk away to get your free gift. Smile and say thank you. Walk quickly away so you don't look (if you don't wish to purchase more) They DO have some great deals. I wish I had bought some Ammolite!!!!!:(

Most places are open when the cruise ships are in town. Years ago, we pulled into Sitka at 5:30am and we were first off the first tender by 6:02am - you guessed it EVERYTHING was open! We had toured the Bishop's house and the Orthodox cathedral, had purchased a few things (which the shopkeepers were kind enough to 'hold') and were five milies into our hike before half the ship had awoke!

when we were in Juneau we found that most of the shops did not open until 9:00 a.m. we got off the ship early to beat the crowds to the stores before our excursion but nothing was open except mcdonalds and the like.

Archived