New to NCL... Help?

coley210L

Hi! I have lots of questions that I'm sure you'll all be able to help with! I have never cruised with NCL before (we've always gone Carnival). I just got engaged, and along with that was given (for a honeymoon) a buy one/get one cruise with NCL! I love cruising from my past experiences, though I'm sure NCL is probably slightly different than Carnival. So, for all of you veteran NCL cruisers out there...

(1) How early do they start posting schedules for next summers trips? So far I haven't seen anything out there.

(2) Which ship is your favorite? Which would be good for a honeymoon?

(3) How is the food? The service?

(4) How big are the rooms?

(5) How does NCL compare to Carnival (for those of you who may have traveled both?)

(6) Anything else you can tell me about NCL!

We are really excited we got such a great deal, and can't wait to start planning and book something! Any helpful hints or advice would be terrific! Thanks!! :D

~Nicole :)

(1) How early do they start posting schedules for next summers trips? So far I haven't seen anything out there.

The Summer 2007 itineraries are posted at the NCL web site.

(2) Which ship is your favorite? Which would be good for a honeymoon?

I prefer the Spirit, it's a nice ship. But I haven't sailed on any larger NCL ships, which I've heard are nicer than the Spirit.

(3) How is the food? The service?

Food and service varies just like it does on Carnival ships. I found the buffets nicer on Carnival ships, but the restaurants better on NCL ships.

(4) How big are the rooms?

The rooms are smaller on NCL ships, the storage is about the same. The restrooms on NCL ships are much nicer than those on Carnival ships.

(5) How does NCL compare to Carnival (for those of you who may have traveled both?) About the same.

(6) Anything else you can tell me about NCL!

NCL waiters will not dance for you just before deset is served. NCL has about the same dress attire, but dressing to the nines for dinner isn't required on formal nights. It's optional. Also, there's no set sitting times, just show up for dinner when you want. But beware, the restaurants can't sit everyone at once, and you'll have to wait to be seated.

Electricron answered your specific questions and alluded to the Freestyle dining. Let me try and explain Freestyle Dining since it is possibly the biggest difference between NCL and the other lines.

I love Freestyle and that is why I only cruise on NCL.

Freestyle is all about your choice. Freestyle gives you the choice to eat WHEN you want, with WHO you want, WHERE you want, and HOW you want.

1.) You do not have assigned dining times. You can go the main restaurants anytime that they are open (5:30-9:30) and simply tell them how many of you there are and they will seat you, just like a shoreside restaurant. Unless you are a large group, you cannot make reservations in the main dining rooms. Sometimes this can cause you to wait a few minutes (usually less than 20) for a table if you dine during the peak hours of 6:30-8:00.

2.) You do have to make reservations for the Specialty Restaurants and most of them have a cover charge of $10-20 per person. (but that is only for the entree, you can have as many apetizers, salads, sides and desserts that you want.). You can make these for the entire week when you board. Not all specialty restaurants have a cover charge (LaTrattatoria for example) but all require reservations. There is an Italian one, a steakhouse, a tex-mex, and an asian one, just to name a few.

3.) You do not have assigned tablemates. You can dine with just your family or perhaps the friends you met that day. They have tables from 2 people to 10 people. You can also request to be seated with new people if you like. You usually do not have the same waiters each night, but you can request them!

4.) You can dress as you like. (within limits) All formal nights on all NCL ships are OPTIONAL in all dining venues. You do not have to dress up and can still eat anywhere. On formal night, only about 40% of the passengers will dress up and that will range from tuxes to shirt/tie. The other 60% will be in resort casual.

With that said, you do have to dress in at least Resort Casual every night to dine in the restaurants. Resort casual simply means no shorts, jeans or t-shirts. Polo shirts, sun dresses, kahkis, and sneakers are all perfectly acceptable! I have never worn any more than a polo shirt, kahkis and sneakers to any meal on five NCL cruises! You will not feel out of place! The best part...the chance to dress as you feel comfortable.

(btw: if you have to wear jeans or shorts, you can then choose to dine in the Blue Lagoon (diner) or the buffet for dinner!)

5.) Finally, disembarkation. You can remain in your cabin until you are called to disembark. No more being herded like cattle into public rooms waiting to be called. Enjoy the last morning in your cabin!

Hope this helps. Please fire away with any questions regarding Freestyle!

Thanks for your help - The freestyle dining is definitely different, but it sounds nice! I do have more questions! Does NCL not take many Caribbean vacations during the month of July? I'm having trouble even finding an itinerary for the week after our wedding (the 15th-21). Is it difficult finding a variety of different itineraries during this time?

Also, are all of the boats freestyle dining or is it only offered on limited ships?

Thanks!

Hey one thing about your buy one get one coupon, its basically a rip off if you got it the same way I did. Basically when I called to get it the tickets ordering (thinking an outside would be about 500 bucks) I was qouted $1400. This was all through the BOGO I got from renting my grooms-men's tuxes through After Hours.

Also, are all of the boats freestyle dining or is it only offered on limited ships?

Thanks!

All NCL ships are freestyle. Older ships (e.g., Dream, Wind, Majesty) were not built specifically for freestyle and so have fewer dining choices. Newer ones (e.g., Jewel, Pearl) offer up to ten dining choices. We've only sailed older NCL ships but have never had a problem getting a table, despite there being fewer restaurants to choose from. Others have reported having to wait.

Hey one thing about your buy one get one coupon, its basically a rip off if you got it the same way I did. Basically when I called to get it the tickets ordering (thinking an outside would be about 500 bucks) I was qouted $1400. This was all through the BOGO I got from renting my grooms-men's tuxes through After Hours.

Yeah, we saw that it was pretty pricey... but it would still be cheaper to go that way than to buy 2 full price tickets, so we thought we'd go that way anyways. I'm just having trouble finding a cruise for the week we want to get it. Are you still using your BOGO coupon? Or did you find a cheaper route?

Thanks for your help - The freestyle dining is definitely different, but it sounds nice! I do have more questions! Does NCL not take many Caribbean vacations during the month of July? I'm having trouble even finding an itinerary for the week after our wedding (the 15th-21). Is it difficult finding a variety of different itineraries during this time?

During the summer, most of the NCL fleet is assigned to Alaska, Europe & Bermuda.

Here is a brief rundown of ships for those dates next summer that I could find:

Pearl: Alaska (out of Seattle) (7 days departing July 15)

Star: Alaska (out of Seattle) (7 days departing July 14 or July 21)

Sun: Alaska (out of Vancouver) 7 days departing July 15)

Majesty: Bermuda (out of Boston) (7 days departing July 15)

Crown: Bermuda (out of New York) (7 days departs July 16)

Spirit: Bermuda and Easterrn Carribean (out of New York)(8 days leaving July 21)

Spirit: Bahamas and Florida (out of New York) (6 days leaving on July 15)

Dawn: Bahamas and Bermuda (out of New York) (7 days departing on July 14 and July 21)

Wind: Leaving Fleet

Jewel: Mediterraniean Europe (out of Barcelona) (7 days departing on July 15)

Dream: Baltic Europe (12 days departing July 16) (from England)

Pride of Hawaii: Hawaii (7 days departing July 16) (from Honolulu)

Pride of Aloha: Hawaii (7 days departing July 15) (from Honolulu)

Pride of America: Hawaii (7days departing July 14 & July 21) (from Honolulu)

There are not alot of Carribean choices during the summer as you can see. The Spirit may be the only choice for deeper carribean at that time of the year. You will find that during the summer, most cruise lines pull their ships from the carribean and send them to Alaska and Europe.

Now about the ships: (adding to what Hotspur said)

The Dawn, Star, Sun, Pride of America, Pride of Hawaii, Jewel, Pearl and Spirit have all been launched since NCL went to Freestyle around 2001. All are newer ships.

The Pearl will launch this November (the newest ship)

The Pride of Hawaii launched in June 2006

The Jewel launched last winter (05-06)

The Pride of America launched in June 2005

The Spirit and Dawn launched in 2002 or 03

The Star & Sun launched in fall 2001.

The Majesty, Wind, Dream and Pride of Aloha are all mid to late 90 ships that have been converted to Freestyle. (less dining choices, but still more than traditional ships). The Pride of Aloha (POA) underwent a multi million dollar renovation in 2004 to convert her from the Sky to the POA and re-flag her American.

The Crown, the oldest and smallest ship in the fleet, was launched in 1988 and also has been converted to Freestyle. The Crown is leaving the NCL fleet in the fall of 2007.

The "Pride" ships, (POA, POAm and POH) are the only American flagged cruise ships in the world and as a result of being American flagged have American crews as opposed to international crews. In addition, the three Pride ships do not have to go to a foreign port during cruises and therefore can cruise around the Hawaiian Islands exclusively. All other cruise lines going to Hawaii have to take a three or four day detour to Mexico or Vancouver giving less time in Hawaii.

Hope this helps.

Where did you get the idea an outside cabin would be $500.00. Even a 2 for 1, there are few ships where you can cruise outside for anywhere near $500 especially if you are in high season at all. NMNita

Yeah, we saw that it was pretty pricey... but it would still be cheaper to go that way than to buy 2 full price tickets, so we thought we'd go that way anyways. I'm just having trouble finding a cruise for the week we want to get it. Are you still using your BOGO coupon? Or did you find a cheaper route?

Have a wonderful wedding and many happy years together; I think I would look at sailing to Bermuda or out of NYC. It is hard finding NCL ships doing the Caribbean during the summer, most head to Canada and Europe. this is true with most lines. Princess offers the best choice to the Caribbean other than Carnival.

Comparing Carnival with NCL is pretty easy: Freestyle dining which should be perfect for a honeymoon. You can eat alone, with others, as early as 5pm or as late as 10:00pm. As has been said, the cabins are smaller: Carnival has about the largest cabins at sea, NCL and RCI the smallest. Overall the food is better on NCL, but the buffets are not very exciting. The entertainment is a matter of opinion like all things are. One more plus for NCL, I think the overall service is 100% better, but remember everything that is being said here is still just a matter of opinion. NMNita

It's hard to find an inside cabin for $500:)

Newlywedcruisers: Boston to Bermuda is a great trip on the Majesty. Bermuda is such a beautiful island and you get to spend 3 days there!

The Majesty might be an older ship but I would choose for a honeymoon in a heartbeat. There a quite a few romantic places to go on her.

Archived