Room Service

MJMDJM

We order breakfast and snacks from room service. We take about 40 one dollar bills, leave them in a drawer near the door, and no matter who opens the door for the room service person, the tip is always available. We tip anywhere from $1.00 to $5.00 depending on the amount of food brought.

We do not tip for room service. The room service waiters are included in the $10 per person per day auto-tip charged to your account.

Some people feel $10 is inadequate and tip extra; we do not.

Beth

I don't think the room service waiters get very much from the $10/person added gratuities. Room service waiters do a great job and "stiffing" them on a tip is just not right. Like previous posters, we tip according to the amount of food brought into our cabin. For breakfast $3-4, never had lunch from room service. For dinner (there were 3 of us in the cabin) we tipped $10.

I don't think the room service waiters get very much from the $10/person added gratuities. Room service waiters do a great job and "stiffing" them on a tip is just not right..

If you will check with the cruise line, you will find that the room service waiters are included. What is your source for saying they do "not get very much?"

I highly object to and am offended by your comment that I am "stiffing" the waiters. I AM following HAL's recommended guidelines by leaving my auto-tip in place. Room service is INCLUDED in my cruise fare, as well as Lido service, and main dining room. I do not tip extra for Lido or main dining either. When HAL wants me to tip above the $10 per person perday, they charge me, as in a bar tab.

I do not trip extra for someone who is doing a "great job" for what they are paid to do anyway. That is NOT above and beyond. I would tip extra for service above and beyond. Room service is INCLUDED!

Beth

We always tip extra for room service. Usually $2 or $3 for breakfast and then anything between $5 and $10 for other meals, depending on what is ordered. We feel that the automatic tipping ($10pp pd) is quiet reasonable and that room service, although described as "included" is really, for us, an extra service. We live in NY and I can tell you that a meal similar to a cruise dinner would easy cost us $100 in a restaurant and the minimum suggested tip here is 15% of the bill which would translate into at least a $15 tip. With auto tipping on a cruise it comes out to only $15, total for both of us, for all meals and snacks all day long!! A definite bargain!! It is certainly worth it to us to tip the person who brings us coffee in the morning. It is a true luxury for me!

We always tip extra for room service. Usually $2 or $3 for breakfast and then anything between $5 and $10 for other meals, depending on what is ordered. We feel that the automatic tipping ($10pp pd) is quiet reasonable and that room service, although described as "included" is really, for us, an extra service. We live in NY and I can tell you that a meal similar to a cruise dinner would easy cost us $100 in a restaurant and the minimum suggested tip here is 15% of the bill which would translate into at least a $15 tip. With auto tipping on a cruise it comes out to only $15, total for both of us, for all meals and snacks all day long!! A definite bargain!! It is certainly worth it to us to tip the person who brings us coffee in the morning. It is a true luxury for me!

I always overtip which sometimes bugs my wife. But I've always been generous, and since we don't have any kids and the niece and nephew are well taken care of by their parents, I figure we might as well try to spend everything before we go.

Another reason I believe in rewarding service is when that time comes that I need some extra the goodwill is there.

I don't tip regular breakfast deliveries either - I figure they're covered in the auto-tip and I'm just not that organized/awake in the am to have singles on hand.

Now for dinner or parties in my stateroom, then I get generous. I figure @ $10 for a dinner for two, and $40 for a few hours serving drinks, hors d'oervres and cleanup at a party is appropriate.

We always tip room service persons. I appreciate the service--a tip is my way to show my appreciation. I LOVE breakfast on the balcony--one of the best things on a cruise!!:D

It is nice that we will be able to have breakfast on the balcony. What a way to start the day! :)

I love my room service in the mornings too! It makes such a nice start to the day - and they even called me once to make sure I ordered everything I wanted (because I ordered butter but nothing to put it on - I took the leftover bread from dinner - I love their special dinner bread and rolls). We always tip a couple bucks for our coffee, etc. in the morning. It may be covered but it makes my day so why not share the smiles! :)

I love my room service in the mornings too! It makes such a nice start to the day - and they even called me once to make sure I ordered everything I wanted (because I ordered butter but nothing to put it on - I took the leftover bread from dinner - I love their special dinner bread and rolls). We always tip a couple bucks for our coffee, etc. in the morning. It may be covered but it makes my day so why not share the smiles! :)

I agree, it is nice to share the smiles! :)

These people work hard and are away from their families. I could always hoof it down to the dining room myself, but I consider someone bringing something to my room to be a special treat. All we have to do is mosey to our balcony and enjoy our breakfast.

I have never orderred room service on any of our cruises. That being said, this will be the first cruise I have had a balcony so we may have to give it a try. I will tip if we do.

You're going to love it! And HAL has so many more options that some of the other cruiselines. We're looking forward to have a regular breakfast on the balcony...

Archived