Fred Olsen - Evening wear etc

Iceland

We are booked on Boudicca in September, our first cruise with Fred Olsen. Apart from the Formal Nights are men required to wear shirts and ties? Or jackets?

On previous cruises on informal nights my husband has worn a short sleeved open neck shirt with smart trousers, will this be the same on Boudicca or does he need to pack some ties?

Can we purchase drink, ie Bacardi, Baileys on board to consume in our cabin?

I am travelling on Fred Olsen's Black Watch on 31st July and according to the info men are expected to wear Jacket & Tie on informal nights. On our 13 night cruise it appears we have 3 formal nights, 3 theme nights, at least 2 casual nights for the first & last nights, which leaves up to 5 possible informal nights. Fred Olsen cruises appear to be one of the more traditional cruise lines who expect you to adhere to their dress code.

As regards drinks I know cruise lines frown upon people bringing spirits aboard for consuming in their cabins. They want you to spend as much money as possible in their bars. However if you buy the bottles on board their attitude may be different. Enjoy your cruise hic!!!:)

We have sailed twice with Fd. Olsen (Black Watch & Braemar). Possibly because their target market is principally British and towards the mature age range, adherence to the dress code is more widely observed than on any other line we've used. On our last one (Norwegian Fjords), I did a quick estimate one formal night, and would put the men at 85% dinner jackets (tuxedos), and virtually all the rest in dark suits.

Thank you both for info. Formal nights are no problem, DH always wears Dinner Suit. Looks as though he's going to have to pack jackets and ties too. We're on a 12 night cruise to Canaries. What are the theme nights, I guess a British night, country night but can't think what the other might be?

Have a great time Welshy, look forward to from you on your return.

The theme nights appear to be more frequent than my last P&O cruise.

I'm off on Black Watch soon so am planning for the theme nights, so I can expect a red/white/blue night (AKA British night), a Western/Cowboy night and a Tropical night-is this standard or is there any other theme night they could throw at us?

We want to be ready to hit the night in our finest fancy dress!

• 8 months later...

Archived