Holiday- Formal Night question

Hi all. My roommate and I are going on our very first cruise next month. As two single guys, we aren't really excited about formal night (flame away if you want, but its just not our style! :p) After all, I have to dress up for work most of the time...

We will be on the Holiday. We thought we would just enjoy the Wharf Grill or Lido deck that evening.

What I don't know is whether the formal dress code extends beyond dinner, or what the expectations might be.

In other words, where and during what times would formal wear be expected? Would our options for activites be limited if we decide to stay casual?

Thanks for any tips/information (other than those that will tell me how fun it is to get into a tux or formal suit lol).

These boards are awesome!

Well, we went to the show after dinner & most of the people were in thier formal attire. After the show we walked around a bit & it was pretty much a hodge podge of outfits. The dance club was full of younger people dressed to the nines.

You will not be excluded from anything (IMHO), you just want to be dressed to impress that night :cool:

Don't worry about it. We dress up on formal nites, eat dinner and after we get our pictures taken................back to the cabin to change LOL!

There will be people dressed in all kinds of outfits from shorts to tuxes.

done it both ways. I ussually do dress up, suit and tie( no tux) although some do and they look very nice. Last time I went with a nice sports jacket, dress shirt with open collar because I had been very sun burned the day before and did not feel out of place at all. As far as changing after dinner, I ussually do change because I just feel more comfortable. I would suggest that you not skip the dining room that night, because the food is really well prepared the waiters perform after the meal. For a first time cruiser, I think you will enjoy it. Hope you have a great cruise.

Hey Alex. The choice is yours! I know one couple who never take anything but shorts on their cruises. They cruise strictly for relaxation at sea, and obvioulsy never do the dining room except for b'fast and lunch, where shorts are allowed. They're both doctors, and 'dress' for many formal occasions at home - but not on a cruise. They go to all the shows, and the wife says she sometimes feels a little 'out of place' in shorts on formal night at the shows...but...husband doesn't care about other folks' thoughts.:D

Archived