Getting off the ship faster in St. Thomas?

PineyEsquire

My finance and I are getting married on the beach in St. Thomas. I have been reading a lot of reviews that said that US Immigrations are really slowing people down getting off the ship. Our minister is supposed to be meeting us when the ship docks, and I don't want to keep him waiting for hours; plus, our photographer is supposed to meet us at 11:00 (the ship docks at 10:00).

I also read that people who have booked shore excursions in St. Thomas get off first. . . which tells me that Carnival has some discretion in who gets off when. Who on the ship would I need to tell about our need to get off the ship ASAP in St. Thomas? Do y'all think they will work with us on this?

Thanks!

My finance and I are getting married on the beach in St. Thomas. I have been reading a lot of reviews that said that US Immigrations are really slowing people down getting off the ship. Our minister is supposed to be meeting us when the ship docks, and I don't want to keep him waiting for hours; plus, our photographer is supposed to meet us at 11:00 (the ship docks at 10:00).

I also read that people who have booked shore excursions in St. Thomas get off first. . . which tells me that Carnival has some discretion in who gets off when. Who on the ship would I need to tell about our need to get off the ship ASAP in St. Thomas? Do y'all think they will work with us on this?

Thanks!

We had no problem getting off the ship in St Thomas at all. There was a line but it was constantly moving. Did not have to stand still one time.

You may or not be held up getting off the ship. IF you are booked through Carnival, you have priority. I would suggest moving the time an hour later, to accomodate any delays... Good luck and I pray that you make all the ports!!

My daughter will also be getting married in St. Thomas on Megans Bay. I contacted the wedding Dpt. at CCL and gave them my booking number. I was told to go the pursors desk when we board and let them know we have been in touch with the CCL wedding coordinator, inform them of plans we would get priority getting off the ship. Do get the name of the person you talked with and I even printed her email responses to me. Good luck and Congratulations. Let us know how everthing went. Laura

The delay, if any in getting off in St. Thomas, involves clearing customs. They arrive when they want and no one can do anything to speed them up. What you can do is check with the purser's desk when you board. they can make sure that you are at the front of the line to clear. Once you clear it is just a matter of walking off, no tendering or waiting, and no special priority for people on Carnival excursions since there are no tenders involved.

We were on the Valor in July and since we were Platinum they had us meet in the dinning room to be one of the first groups thru customs. Ahead of us was a wedding party that was the first group thru customs a soon as the agents were set up. It took less than 5 minutes after the agents were ready. They handed out a sticker with your name on it to stick on your shirt to indicate you had completed the customs process. After that just walk off the ship. I assume there is someone on the ship to coordinate with to get priority thru customs. Or even better make sure you have at least 9 cruises prior to the one your getting married on then you can qualify for Platinum and avoid the delays.

The biggest delay is when people do not show up at immigration when they are supposed to. the whole ship must be cleared before anyone debarks. i wish they would give out the cabin numbers when they are paging the tardy people. we could help them along.

The biggest delay is when people do not show up at immigration when they are supposed to. the whole ship must be cleared before anyone debarks. i wish they would give out the cabin numbers when they are paging the tardy people. we could help them along.

This was not true when you go through immigration to get off the Valor in St.Thomas. Once you have your sticker you are good to get off. We slept in,got in line (very short) at about 11:00am. Most people were off the ship by then . They did start to announce names of people that had not picked up thier stickers and said they would be fined:eek: if they did not come STAT(around 12pm or so) The immigration people were ready to go home ;)

Unless there is a delay with the customs officials boarding the ship, you shouldn't have much of a problem.

When we were in St. Thomas on 7/11, we had an early excusion booked through Carnival and when we got in line to go through customs the line was pretty long. I asked the people in front of me if they also had an early Carnival excursion, they didn't. I thought the Carnival folks would ask for proof of an early excusion but nope. (So I suppose anyone can get in line early.) Regardless, the line moved very swiftly and we were through customs in no time.

Congratulations on your wedding!

On the Zuiderdam this past March they had to clear the entire ship prior to anyone disembarking. Two cabins had not presented themselves to Immigration and were announced by name and with room numbers repeatedly. The last announcement I heard was for them to reoprt IMMEDIATELY to the Queen's Lounge or be fined. Very shortly after that, it was announced that the ship was cleared and we were free to go ashore.

It was a running joke on the ship after that. Any time there was a holdup somone would say "It must be so-and-so from cabin number such-and-such holding up the line again."

I would suggest talking to the Chief Purser as soon as you board, explain your situation, and ask if he/she could give you priority disembarking in St. Thomas.

Last year I booked an independent tour in Belize, the ship was a few minutes late getting in, the tenders were a few minutes late showing up, and I was afraid I was going to miss my tour guide who was to meet me at the pier at 8:00 am. I was already down at the gangway, getting nowhere fast with the security guard there, so went up to the pursers desk, explained my situation, showed him my confirmation papers for my tour, and he took out a piece of Carnival stationary, and wrote to please give Ms._____ priority tender service ashore ASAP, and signed his name. I took that back down to the gangway, and when the first tender arrived, the security guard made sure I was the first on on it.

It's these kind of gesters that keep me coming back to Carnival:-)

This is YOUR BIG day. Play it safe, Don't take any chances, or add anymore stress to your plans.

Congratulations!

Annie

I would suggest talking to the Chief Purser as soon as you board, explain your situation, and ask if he/she could give you priority disembarking.

Last year I had booked an independent tour in Belize, the ship was a few minutes late getting in, the tenders were a few minutes late showing up, and I was afraid I was going to miss my tour guide who was to meet me at the pier at 8:00 am. I was already down at the gangway, getting nowhere fast with the security guard there, so went up to the pursers desk, explained my situation, showed him my confirmation papers for my tour, and he took out a piece of Carnival stationary, and wrote to please give Ms._____ priority tender service ashore and signed his name. I took that back down to the gangway, and when the first tender arrived, the security guard made sure I was the first on on it.

It's these kind of gesters that keep me coming back to Carnival:-)

This is YOUR BIG day. Play it safe, Don't take any chances, or add anymore stress to your plans. Talk to the Purser well before you arrive in st. Thomas.

Oh, and Congratulations!

Annie

Am I missing something? Why would they fine people if they don't show up for their sticker? What if I want to say on board and not getting off at all? I have never been to St. Thomas before so I definitely will get off but it just doesn't make sense...

Please enlighten me

Thanks.

Wants2fly

Am I missing something? Why would they fine people if they don't show up for their sticker? What if I want to say on board and not getting off at all? I have never been to St. Thomas before so I definitely will get off but it just doesn't make sense...

Please enlighten me

Thanks.

Wants2fly

Because even if you don't get off the ship, you've still reentered the U.S. and the US Government will fine the cruise line if everybody does not show up for immigration.

Thanks!

My wife and I got married in St. Thomas in March. It was a slow process getting off the ship. We asked a Carnival employee how long it would take, she took one look at my wife's dress and hauled us all the way through the line. It took 5 minutes after that.

Good luck and Congratulations.

Archived