packing- space saver bags

oceanseagle12

OK, first cruise is 20 days away!!!! :D

I have a silly packing question. Obviously, I am wanting to minimize luggage, and thought about getting some of the space saver bags. I like the idea of having clothes condensed like that, which I heard makes it easier with security, etc.

This seems easy enough for the initial packing. But my question is- what about the return trip? I mean- how do u seal them without a vaccuum?

If I can't condense on the return trip, I don't see the point of using these things...

There are space saver bags on the market now that don't require a vacuum to exhaust air -- you simply roll the bags up with items inside and zip the bags shut. Have used those but have personally found them to be over priced and are limited in the number of their uses before they no longer work.

I started using the 2 gal or larger Ziploc bags about two years ago and found they do just as good as the higher priced ``travel'' bags. I place the clothes in the bag, press my hands along the bag or roll it with the zipper end opened, then zip the bag up and put it in my luggage.

Does save space and can be used to zip-pack dirty laundry, etc. for the trip home. Doesn't require a vacuum and lasts for many, many trips, saving valuable $$$$ for the other things you want to do on the cruise.:)

Dianne

There are space saver bags on the market now that don't require a vacuum to exhaust air -- you simply roll the bags up with items inside and zip the bags shut. Have used those but have personally found them to be over priced and are limited in the number of their uses before they no longer work. That has been my experience as well.

I started using the 2 gal or larger Ziploc bags about two years ago and found they do just as good as the higher priced ``travel'' bags. I place the clothes in the bag, press my hands along the bag or roll it with the zipper end opened, then zip the bag up and put it in my luggage.

Dianne

I also use regular Ziplocs now. I use the same method as above, but I go one step further. I leave about an inch unzipped and then suck as much air out as possible...with my mouth :eek: before closing them completely.

I avoid this packing method with clothing that easily wrinkles, however...it will press creases where you don't want them, and I don't want to iron on my vacation!

One other consideration if you are using either Space-Savers or Zip-Locs is the total weight of your luggage. There is a weight limit for your luggage. Depending on the airline and agent, you may get surcharged if your luggage goes overweight.

Charlie

I leave about an inch unzipped and then suck as much air out as possible...with my mouth :eek: before closing them completely.

For us that's OK going out. On the return trip we usually have our soiled clothing in the Zips:rolleyes:

Charlie

I use plastic bags only for items that I don't mind getting wrinkled. Like undies, pajamas, bathing suits etc...

For clothing that wrinkles, I use packing folders and cubes such as these:

http://www.ebags.com/travel_accessories/packing_folders_cubes/category_search/index.cfm?Ne=100&N=4001+20014520

You only have to buy them once, they don't break easily like the plastic vacuum bags do. They keep your stuff organized, compressed without being squashed, once you get used to using these, your packing is easier, faster and you lessen the risk of forgetting items. I use a different colored set for each family member. When we repack for the journey home, everything is packed the same as when we left.

Plastic bags are essential for really dirty clothes or wet bathing suits. I like the two and a half gallon ziplocs that I don't mind tossing out. The travel bags are too pricey to do that.

I was having a problem earlier today trying to figure out how to save space, not that i am going to take to much but want to leave room for the irrsistables i see on shore. Thanks for all of the ideas.Abby:p

I have used the space saver bags and they really do work. However, most of what you put in the bags will get very wrinkled, so it's best to limit the bags to items where wrinkles don't matter (socks, underwear, PJs, etc.). And as others have pointed out, you need to keep in mind the weight limits that airlines impose. Otherwise, the bags that you can roll up without a vacuum do work.

we leave for alaska in 3 days and my clothes are packed in the space saver bads from qvc....love them....plus I've got a small bottle of Downy Wrinkle Release packed in a ziplock bag....I'm going to have alot of space for my extra things I'll buy...

For us that's OK going out. On the return trip we usually have our soiled clothing in the Zips:rolleyes:

Charlie

Yes, I only use the mouth method with clean clothing as well. :rolleyes:

On the way home I don't have to, because I have some extra space where the sodas (and possibly other beverages;) ) were packed.

I was having a problem earlier today trying to figure out how to save space, not that i am going to take to much but want to leave room for the irrsistables i see on shore. Thanks for all of the ideas.Abby:p

Pack an empty, lightweight tote bag for your bringing home your souveniers. There are some that will fold up small like a wallet and weight next to nothing. Very handy to take along!

:cool:

I have a few of the space saver bags (large ones), but have found also that all size ziploc bags work just as well. You don't have to suck the air out if you don't want; I just pack them, close them all but about an inch or two, and sit on them to push the air out, the zip the rest of the way. It also keeps the baggage inspectors' hands off personal items. I agree though, watch the weight of your luggage. Also, using dry cleaner plastic bags to pack larger items, i.e. suits, dress pants, dresses, etc. cuts practically eliminates wrinkles. Last cruise, I didn't have to steam wrinkles out of anything!

Archived