Anchorage and Air Conditioning

LisaH

Being a spoiled girl from Plano, TX - it is hard to go without air conditioning. Next summer we are doing a 3-day land and then 7-day SB cruise. Our cruise package starts the night of 7/13 but we are planning on getting to Anchorage on the 12th so we have a full day to tour around.

My problem is that Princess uses the Captain Cook as one of their pre-cruise hotels and it is not air conditioned. They also use the Hilton which is air conditioned. My TA will request the Hilton but he cannot guarantee. So we are thinking about booking the night of the 12th at the Hilton and then going with whatever Princess assigns us for our pre-cruise night.

My parents had a bad experience of a warmer than normal summer in Anchorage when they were there and it was upwards of 90 degrees. I am concerned about the risk of no air conditioning for that night. I know it is not the end of the world - but...

Any words of wisdom out there? Thanks much!

When we arrived in June of 2004, it was also in the 90s. And we stayed at the Captain Cook (but only 1 night). I don't recall it being uncomfortable at all .... I don't even know if I realized it didn't have A/C :rolleyes:

Good luck.

We stayed at the Hilton in Downtown Anchorage May 19-21st. We had a view room facing the harbor. Believe it or not, we actually used air conditioning in May. Enjoyed our stay very much. Hotel is in a great location. From our room we could see the harbor, the Alaska Railroad train depot, weekend market, and the ule factory.

I decided to go ahead and book the Hilton for at least the one night and then see what happens. Worst case is no a/c for one night. If we have to we can handle it.

Thanks to those who have responded and future responders.

We stayed at the Cook, courtesy of Princess last month for one night, and then moved to the Sheraton, since it was cheaper, for a night on our own.

The Cook is much better located (as is the Hilton) compared to the Sheraton, but the Sheraton has A/C, and the Cook was HOT.

My family went to Alaska last August and stayed at the Cpt Cook. No need for air condo. We actually needed a light jacket. Funny coming from Michigan. I do read the Alaska Dailey News on line, www.adn.com, and they post the weather there. Today the high was 66 and low I believe was 58 maybe lower. There is a very nice breeze that blows and you can open windows at the Cook.

Enjoy, I sure would llike to go back myself.:)

Archived