Grand list- no acknowledgement

kayguz

Sorry if this is a double post- it disappeared midstream. I just read the Princess letter regarding the Crown incident. I felt it was appropriate and necessary. I would like to know why the Grand incident was never acknowledged in anyway. We were never given any sort of apology or any official explanation other than " we did turn for a medical emergency." Then we had all the "tales"-which I'm sure there is truth out there in it somewhere- about inexperienced officer, turning in restricted zone (Capt. announced that a day later), etc... but nothing saying it was human error or computer error or bad judgement, whatever. It makes me wonder if the reason we didn't return to Galveston was due to Princess not wanting to have any healthy passengers disembark and raise a stink or that they didn't want the media to be involved. Our traveling group kept thinking that Princess would cough up some sort of letter of apology- we weren't looking for any financial comp (we ended up having a good time), just an acknowledgement. However, I know airlines don't apologize for their mistakes, etc.... But, Princess did issue one for the Crown. Not trying to start anything, but just wondering if any others on the Grand felt the same way.

Kay

I've only just begun to follow Princess, so I'm not familiar with the Grand incident. Was it as severe a list in terms of not only degrees of tilt but also as it relates to injuries and damage to the ship?

The Grand is a bit smaller and holds a bit fewer passengers. It also ocurred in Feb.- so not as many kids,etc... We never got a confirmed degree of "list"- damage, from what I can tell, seems comparable. We did a quick turn back to port for a woman who had either a heart attack or a diabetic coma- never heard the official scoop. We ended up with a few people getting off with the Coast Guard- don't know how many injuries were treated at the onboard medical center, etc... I think the passengers were probably just a scared and freaked on the Grand as they were on the Crown. The Crown had more injuries and looked like more severe injuries. There are many posts regarding the Grand if you'd like to fully catch up on it. It's just odd that they both ocurred on Princess, on the same "class" ship and in the same year- handled differently.

Kay

It makes me wonder if the reason we didn't return to Galveston was due to Princess not wanting to have any healthy passengers disembark and raise a stink or that they didn't want the media to be involved.
If the “healthy” passengers would do this disembarking immediately after an incident, wouldn’t they do it if they were held on the ship for seven days before they could get off and comment? I doubt that Princess sailed the ship off into the Gulf of Mexico to keep the passengers quiet.

I think Princess learned a few lessons from what they did WRONG with our list incident...I just got home from a Greek Isles/Turkey cruise..it was awesome (RCI)..the ship did make a slight list as it did a sharp turn to avoid trying to hit something in the water.We went out to our balcony and saw several large pieces of something in the wake.I dont know if we hit it or if the captain was just trying to miss it..but it brought back flashes of our Feb cruise and hubby and I just looked at each other and I tell you my heart did a quick flip! :)

BTW,Ive watched the video the honeymooners took but has any pictures been posted yet? I look at mine quite often and think about how lucky we were... Dot

When it was first reported here the poor woman (I think it was a woman) was practically called a liar. I was nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs when I posted about the list right after it happened. Normally I detest CNN, but thank goodness they backed me up! Someone almost immediatly posted questioning me.

Anyway, the Grand list was not as severe and there were not the injuries there were on the Crown. Scary to be sure, but not quite as severe. I am NOT minimizing anyones experience on the Grand here. Please do not think that. I just think the Grand was easier to ignore.

Do I think Princess is unsafe? No. Do I think they are run by a large corporation that does not want bad press? Of course. That does not make them evil, just prudent in regard to their bottom line. This is a business people. A wonderful business that allows me to cruise for sure, but they are not creating memories out of the goodness of their heart.

They still do a darn fine job though.

Sorry if this is a double post- it disappeared midstream. I just read the Princess letter regarding the Crown incident. I felt it was appropriate and necessary. I would like to know why the Grand incident was never acknowledged in anyway. We were never given any sort of apology or any official explanation other than " we did turn for a medical emergency." Then we had all the "tales"-which I'm sure there is truth out there in it somewhere- about inexperienced officer, turning in restricted zone (Capt. announced that a day later), etc... but nothing saying it was human error or computer error or bad judgement, whatever. It makes me wonder if the reason we didn't return to Galveston was due to Princess not wanting to have any healthy passengers disembark and raise a stink or that they didn't want the media to be involved. Our traveling group kept thinking that Princess would cough up some sort of letter of apology- we weren't looking for any financial comp (we ended up having a good time), just an acknowledgement. However, I know airlines don't apologize for their mistakes, etc.... But, Princess did issue one for the Crown. Not trying to start anything, but just wondering if any others on the Grand felt the same way.

Kay

I WAS ON THE CROWN AND THE CAPTAIN DID APOLOGIZED SEVERAL TIMES BY ANNOUNCEMENT AS WELL AS A LETTER IN OUR CABIN. A LETTER WAS ALSO SENT TO OUR CABINS FROM THE PRESIDENT OF PRINCESS CRUISES ALSO APOLOGIZING FOR THE INCIDENT AND EXPLAINING THAT ALL COSTS OF THE CRUISE AS WELL AS RETURN EXPENSES TO YOUR HOME WOULD BE PAID IN FULL BY PRINCESS.ALSO AS FAR AS THE EXPLAINATION OF WHAT CAUSED THE LIST,UNTILL THE COAST GUARD AND NATIONAL SAFETY BOARD FINISHED THEIR INSPECTIONS AND FULLY DETERMAINED THE OFFICAL CAUSE IT WOULD BE INNAPPROPRATE TO MAKE AN ANNOUCEMENT.AS IT WAS PRINCESS DID MAKE A STATEMENT THAT IT WAS HUMAN ERROR AND THAT THE SHIP WAS SAFE AND HAD NO MECHANICAL OR EQUIPMENT MALFUCTION AND THAT THE SHIP WAS TOTALLY SAFE TO SAIL.IF IT WASN'T THE COAST GUARD WOULDN'T ALLOW IT TO SAIL TO NY AND PICK-UP PASSENGERS.ONE OTHER THING,WHY WOULD WE GO TO GALVASTON WHEN WE JUST TOOK OFF FROM PORT CANAVERAL.I THINK PRINCESS HANDLED THE SITUATION AS PROFESSIONALLY,COMMPASSIONATE,AND EFFICENTLY AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE.ALSO I THINK THEY ACTED QUICKLY AND FAIRLY IN ANNOUNCING THE FULL REFUND OF THE COST OF THE CRUISE PLUS EXPENSES

Hey Mike!

Yep,still here...recovering from jet lag, and a fuzzy brain! :) Although some might say its always fuzzy!

Trying to figure out where I can go next Feb...I see your on the TP in Nov..thats one Im interested in.Dot

Kay

Kay, I agree with you. We were also on the Grand then, and was disappointed with the lack of communication at the time. Also the way

Princess handled the situation later by really not telling us anything.

I think that if that list on the Grand had of happened at a different time

when people were at the pool, relaxing, etc there would of been more

injuries. As it was most people were just unpacking, eating or getting

ready for dinner. I still wonder what the list was, probably will never know.

Archived