Question about Mendenhall glacier

dragonfly4455

Hi! I'm new to this so please bear with me. We're taking our honeymoon on the Sept. 17th Norwegian Star to Alaska and are trying to keep costs down. I read about a shuttle for $5 or so that takes you from the dock straight the to Mendenhall glacier visitor center. This thread was a couple of years old however and I wanted to know if this was still the case. We're not really interested in the tour and thought this would be a good way to go without the 2 mile treck from the city bus dropoff. Any help and suggestions would be much appreciated! We're also looking for similar deals in Ketchikan and Skagway. Thanks!!!:)

As Nancy said, the round trip price is $12. There are several companies right at the pier that sell tickets. I took the one that left the soonest after I arrived and that was MGT. But there are 2-3 companies there selling tickets. No need to buy tickets in advance.

Note that the drivers will not drop you off anywhere in between the pier and the glacier visitors center. Apparently they are not allowed to. One couple wanted to get off at the cannery rather than having to backtrack and the driver said he was not allowed to.

Taking the bus to the glacier and doing a nice hike is great. I did that and thoroughly enjoyed it. I took the East Glacier Loop trail. Took about 2 hours, pretty easy hiking. Beautiful views of the glacier and other things (streams, smaller waterfall, etc). You don't see the big waterfall on this hike though. And you are hiking mostly in the shade which for my sun-sensitive skin was really good.

I understand there are ranger-led hikes each day. The one they were doing when I was there started at 10am and was only a 1/2 hour hike. I wanted something longer so I passed on that one. But having done ranger-led hikes in other places, they are very informative if it fits your schedule.

i am doing the whale watching (i hope), but the rest of our group will be doing things on the spur of the moment. i will be passing information along on mendenhall to them. how long is the bus ride and does the bus have a bathroom? (FIL has health problems)

thx momcruiser2, that's what i want to hear. we have 7 going...the others don't want to plan anything. i am getting and sending along the things they can do from port. DH and i ARE going whale watching:D i love whales. saw a few in hawaii and a few fishing out of seward. saw glaciers on that fishing trip, also. mendenhall sounds like something the others would like and it's their buget$$ level.

There is a nice theater, tours and other activities at the visitor center. Also clean restrooms. Many opportunities for photos of the glacier and "icebergs" floating in the lake. It is a worthwhile, reasonably priced spot.

LL

Hey Toyz, i found the place!! Dragonfly, hubby and i are probably going to take the mendenhall trip too off the ship..we are doing a pricey trip in Skagway, so the others will be VERY budget minded...

come join us in the "roll call". Its located just above the "alaska" section. Click on the STAR, then look for the subject of "Anyone going on the Star to alaska on 9/17/06". something like that. (i started it and cant even remember what i typed in there) LOL we are just a bunch of fun people.. so come join us... you are more than welcome to chime right in.:D

see ya soon!!! diane

Too bad that the shuttles won't let you off between the glacier and downtown; because we wanted to stop at the Gardens on the way back. Does anyone know if we can get the regular bus from the glacier to go to Glacier Gardens, or do we have to go back into town and catch another bus back up there. Thanks.

I am not sure where the Gardens are but the closest public bus stop is apparently 1 to 1-1/2 miles from the Visitors Center. So figure on a bit of a walk. There were quite a few cars parked at the visitors center so maybe asking someone there for a ride to the bus stop would work too. I took the bus from and back to the pier so I don't know.

Too bad that the shuttles won't let you off between the glacier and downtown; because we wanted to stop at the Gardens on the way back. Does anyone know if we can get the regular bus from the glacier to go to Glacier Gardens, or do we have to go back into town and catch another bus back up there. Thanks.

If you do a search for Glacier Gardens - there was a post by someone who took the city bus there and said it took a LONG time. This person took a taxi back and recommended that.

The trails that the Forest Service talks about on its website (see below) are walking near the glacier, not on it. Even the west glacier trail, which appears to get closest to the glacier, is not hiking on the glacier. I hiked the East Glacier Loop earlier this month. It was great - scenery, waterfalls, good views of the glacier, nice wooded trail.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/trails.html

John

I haven't seen any posts about taking a helicoper tour over the Mendenhall - "everyone" talks about taking the shuttle to it. Any feeback on the helicopter tours offered? We're leaving on August 27th - Infinity.

The city bus does make a stop near Glacier Gardens, but schedules aren't real convenient and as already mentioned, to get to/from Mendenhall to/from Glacier Gardens, you have a 1 mile walk to the stop from Mendenhall.

Unless you have an all day port time, take a cab.

When you walk these trails, are you actually on the glacier or across the lake from it?

Thanks,

There is only glacier access from the west side, and you need to invest in several hours of hiking for it.

The trails from the visitor center have no glacier access and most except the Photo Point have very limited viewing of the glacier. Mostly woods.

I've been reading with interest about the different trails available for walking near Mendenhall Glacier after taking the bus up. Specifically, the East Glacier Loop trail that someone (fti?) spoke about ---- said it was about two hours, nice scenery, etc. Can anyone tell me how long the hike is? More specifically, is it a fairly easy walk? I'm pretty much game for anything, but am not sure I could do two hours of difficult hiking.

Just wondering what might be the best trail for a middle-aged, slightly overweight and out-of-shape mother of three .....? :)

Thanks in advance,

Kristie

I've been reading with interest about the different trails available for walking near Mendenhall Glacier after taking the bus up. Specifically, the East Glacier Loop trail that someone (fti?) spoke about ---- said it was about two hours, nice scenery, etc. Can anyone tell me how long the hike is? More specifically, is it a fairly easy walk? I'm pretty much game for anything, but am not sure I could do two hours of difficult hiking.

Just wondering what might be the best trail for a middle-aged, slightly overweight and out-of-shape mother of three .....? :)

Thanks in advance,

Kristie

It does require a degree of fitness. It is a multi switchback climb, then walking down extensive stairs. I would allow more than 2 hours. I do it in about 2-3, but very lesiure with plenty of stops. It is 3 1/2 miles, and really NOT a lot of scenery, as it is mostly wooded. You have only a few views of Mendenhall as there is extensive brush growth.

It does require a degree of fitness. It is a multi switchback climb, then walking down extensive stairs. I would allow more than 2 hours. I do it in about 2-3, but very lesiure with plenty of stops. It is 3 1/2 miles, and really NOT a lot of scenery, as it is mostly wooded. You have only a few views of Mendenhall as there is extensive brush growth.

Well, good to know. I'm in good enough shape to do something like that, I think. I just wanted to be sure it's not any sort of Extreme Hiking, or anything like that. I'd hate to be left behind in Alaska because I was too out of shape to make it back to the boat! Ha! :D

Thanks for sharing,

Kristie

Archived