Pinnacle Grill

dam1050

Have you experienced the Pinnacle Grill?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Have you experienced the Pinnacle Grill?

• Yes - And would definitely go back / recommend
    • Yes - It was just 'OK', but not worth repeating
    • No - But I do intend to on a future cruise
    • No - I will resist until they remove charges

I have enjoyed it on the Ryndam and the Zuiderdam. Both times the food was excellent along with the service. However, I preferred the layout and appearance of the Ryndam room over the Zuiderdam room.

Steve Hayes

[quote name='dam1050']For those who have sailed since the Pinnacle Grill's inception:[/QUOTE]

[quote name='F5Loar']Sounds like Rob hit an "off" night. It happens in the best of resturants.
I wonder if he complained? Sent the cold potato back and they brought him a hot one? These people aim to please and if you complain they will do their best to correct it. If you don't complain to them you complain here and we can't do a thing for you. We would like to hear how they corrected your problems.[/QUOTE]
In fairness, no, we did not complain. We probably ought to have, but didn't really feel like waiting for a replacement. We may well have had an off night, and can only suggest that YMMV (your mileage may vary). :D I expect the quality of the Pinnacle varies from ship to ship (and chef to chef) as well. Also, as another poster noted, perhaps my expectations of the asparagus were not entirely in line with the current "culinary trends". I tend to like my veggies done a little more than al dente, though still somewhat firm. If the bernaise sauce had been less bland (and again, maybe I'm just used to more seasoning than the chefs prefer to use in their sauce. Salt and pepper helped a lot.), I probably wouldn't have noticed the "doneness" of the asparagus at all.

And we really did like the filet itself, and the horseradish/mustard sauce was pretty good. The other two sauces (the bernaise again, and a sort of ketchup-based "steak sauce" that tasted like over-sweetened A1) did not impress us.

We did have many absolutely wonderful meals in the main dining room during our cruise, and really regretted having missed Dutch night (My wife's family is of Dutch ancestry. We didn't know which night that was going to be until after we'd made our reservations). I do wish there were more veggies served with the meals there (yeah, I know, there I go complaining again), but never had a single bite of food there that we weren't entirely delighted with.

I wouldn't even go so far as to say we hated the Pinnacle, much as it may have sounded so from my post. We just didn't think it matched the impressively high standards of the main dining room. We might even try it again on a future cruise (we'd really like to return to Alaska, though it'd probably be a few years before we can do another cruise), to see if our experience was the exception or the rule. But we'll be sure to find out ahead of time which night is Dutch night, so we don't miss it again. :)

-- Rob

My husband and I were on the Zaandam in February, and just loved the Pinnacle Grill. We actually ate there 5 out of the 7 nights. The food was just fantastic and the service impeccable. We are taking an Alaskan cruise next year, and are looking forward to dining at the Pinnacle.

We were going to try the Pinnacle when we are on the Prinsendam in October but after reading the different reviews I think we will give it a miss for a couple of reasons.

The first is the $20US becomes nearly $30AUD for each person for us and it would have to be an exceptional meal to cost $60AUD on top of the meal that we will be served in the dining room and then of course there is the extra tip.

The second reason is that we love our steak but we do not like huge amounts served at the one time. I feel we would be given too much and then there is the dessert on top of that! We enjoy our food but we like to eat small amounts and not a huge amount of each course.

I would rather put the money we save by not eating at the Pinnacle towards our wonderful dinner that we are going to have at Taillevent - a Michelin 3 star Restaurent - in Paris a week later.

Jennie

No argument there, the Paris beef sounds like a winner! When you do compare we can get the same meal at our local "Outback" (Didn't you bolks start them?) for under $20 it makes sense to not do it on the ship. I like the bigger juicier steaks and the little extra they serve but for smaller apetites I can understand your reluctance to go there. My wife refuses to waste that much food at an extra cost so I have to dine solo when I go. But before you right it off completely they do have smaller cuts like the rack of lamb, the chicken, or petite filet. They advise you to split the extras like the potato, etc. And you can ask for most anything to be split just like you would in a fine resturant. Ask for two cups of calm chowder (worth the price in itself) instead of two bowls. Split the handtossed pear salad instead ordering two of them. You may have a problem fighting over the volcano split. I think the meal and experience is that much different to try it at least once in your lifetime aboard a HAL ship. Thanks for the comments from downunder and I hope you build your next home out of "Boral Bricks" and get your gas from "Origin Entergy".

FS,

Believe it or not our electricity account is with Origin Energy. We must be sending all the profits to you in U.S. We also have used Boral bricks over the years!!

We may miss the Pinnacle this time and if we do we will definitely give it a go next year on the Maasdam - Boston to Rotterdam Transatlantic trip just on your recommendation!:)

Jennie

Thanks, Origin Entergy which was part of Boral Bricks,LTD before the split is the reason I am able to cruise so much since my retirement from the Brick Industry in the USA. They seem to be a really good company over there and I hope to go down there one day to see them.

Peaches, that's right the addition of the Surf and Turf is not on the menu which to my knowledge is the same on all ships for the Pinnacle Grill or at least it was the same on the Zuiderdam and Maasdam I was on.
You should understand that the Surf and Turf is not the portion of other meats being offered. In fact saying the lobster tail is small might be stretching the little tail a little bit. Mini-tail might be a better term. It's a two biter tail, two bites and it's gone! The Filet is 5 or 6 oz. I think they will let you get 2 tails too without the filet but 4 bites is not much better.
When I was on the Carnival Legend at the Golden Fleece upscale the lobster tail they served was the size of my arm and well worth the $25 they charge.
I guess just because you are owned by the same Corporation does not mean you get your tails from the same supplier.

First night is caual. I saw guys in shorts the first night. I guess they used the excuse their luggage had not arrive yet. I don't recall the code ever being formal any night, just jacket required on other nights. The ladies seem to be able to wear most anything.

[quote name='rolnickr']SThe "vine ripened tomato and basil salad" was actually a few slices of beefsteak tomato that was picked off the vine well before it had ripened. It was barely edible. -- Rob[/QUOTE]
I am a tomato nut, and ordered the same dish as you. The very first bite was a major setback. I was astonished because there was absolutely no flavor, and the texture was like soft plastic. Then, a bit late, it dawned on me. By necessity the tomatoes on a cruise ship have to be refrigerated. They may have been picked too early as well, but that wouldn't totally account for the problem. Refrigeration does, however, rob the tomato of its flavor and texture.
Ah well. I'll remember the next time.

I didn't care for the chocolate volcano, either. On another occasion I had the Baked Alaska. This is [b]not[/b] the same as the main dining room's baked alaska. The cake's presence is very evident, the cream topping is minimal and the ice cream is Ben And Jerry's. It was fantastic, but too large. I was already stuffed from the rib eye entree, and couldn't finish the baked alaska.

AussieGal,

If you would like to try the Pinnacle onboard, why don't you call and reserve for the first night. They only charge 1/2 price that night ($10), so it would only be $15 for you times 3 = $45 (instead of $60). That way, you could try the restaurant, and still eat a good meal in Paris! This is just a suggestion. I found out about the 1/2 price first night special on cruisecritic, and immediately signed up for the first night, as well as the fifth night. Call 1-800-541-1576 or sign up under the gift order forms on www. Holland America.com and fax it to them. They imediately charge your credit card, but at least it is reserved.:) ;) :) ;)

[quote name='Stevesan']I am a tomato nut, and ordered the same dish as you. The very first bite was a major setback. I was astonished because there was absolutely no flavor, and the texture was like soft plastic. Then, a bit late, it dawned on me. By necessity the tomatoes on a cruise ship have to be refrigerated. They may have been picked too early as well, but that wouldn't totally account for the problem. Refrigeration does, however, rob the tomato of its flavor and texture.
Ah well. I'll remember the next time.

I didn't care for the chocolate volcano, either. On another occasion I had the Baked Alaska. This is [b]not[/b] the same as the main dining room's baked alaska. The cake's presence is very evident, the cream topping is minimal and the ice cream is Ben And Jerry's. It was fantastic, but too large. I was already stuffed from the rib eye entree, and couldn't finish the baked alaska.[/QUOTE]

I thought I was the only one who did not care for the chocolate volcano cake! It's just too rich for me - almost hurts my teeth!

[quote name='peaches from georgia']Just click on 'search' and type in Pinnacle Grill Menu and the post will come up. One change we had recently and I know others have reported the same is that there is now a Surf and Turf- Petite Filet Mignon w/ a small lobster tail.[/QUOTE]

I had the filet and lobster tail last April on the Maasdam. I thought is was easily one of the best lobster tails I've ever had. I did not find it to be abnormally small nor huge, just very tasty. The petite filet was a perfect size. Not too much food, just enough for me - we still passed on dessert, I think the meal is very filling in itself. I've already had the volcano cake and could live without it.

Archived