Pinnacle Grill

dam1050

Have you experienced the Pinnacle Grill?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Have you experienced the Pinnacle Grill?

• Yes - And would definitely go back / recommend
    • Yes - It was just 'OK', but not worth repeating
    • No - But I do intend to on a future cruise
    • No - I will resist until they remove charges

Ahhhh..."MY" MAASDAM.....

I just love hearing wonderful things about the ship I have loved for years. Especially when I am holding docs for our rapidly upcoming cruise on her :)

This thread continues to rise to the top of the list with a time given that a new post was added, but there is no new post. What gives? It's the only thread I can see that is doing that. I did it at 5 something and again at 7 something and maybe other times too, both times saying it was a post by s7s, but the thread showed nothing. I'm really posting to see if it will do it with mine also.

On previous HA cruises we felt "why pay extra for a dinner" when we can eat top notch food, in the main dining room. Our last cruise, Transatlantic on the Prinsendam in May happened to coincide with our 23rd anniversary. We decided to splurge on that special evening, and eat in the Pinnacle. The food was great, the service was very attentive, and we were very impressed by the "old world decor" and the overall ambience. Yes, we will repeat the Pinnacle in future cruises, especially for a "special occasion".

We cruised on the Statendam in March 2004 and ate at the pinnacle for dinner twice and a wine tasting lunch. The first dinner was the $10 special the first night out and was outstanding. The second dinner was nice but fell short of the first experience (my meat was a little chewy and it was a filet!) My husband loves trying different wines so he talked me into going to the lunch. It turned out to be again an outstanding meal with great wine and the food was superb. I think some of the problems with the second meal was the inexperience of the wait staff that some one has mentioned before. Myhusband is looking forward to trying the Pinnacle again on our cruise on the Westerdam in November (me too!)

Hey Gang:

I was on the VOLENDAM a few weeks ago and tried the Pinacle Grill one night. I was on THE VOLENDAM a few years ago when the alternative restaurant featured Italian Cuisine. I did not eat there then but I did a few weeks ago when I was in Alaska. I LIKED it a lot. I passed on the potato, but liked everything else. I would recommend the Pinacle. Look at it this way: You are on vacation.

HIMSELF

We plan on eating at the Pinnacle Grill, on the Zuiderdam, the first night, as it is complimentary. What is the customary tip? Can you sign for it, or is cash the way to go..

Thanks!

CruiserDan

http://www.saintpeterealtors.com

The Pinnacle is not complimentary on the first night, but it is half price- $10 pp. The charge for the meal will be directly to your ship's account and then tip in cash, amount being up to you, of course. We tip based on what we believe the meal would have cost us in a fine restaurant.

We plan on eating at the Pinnacle Grill, on the Zuiderdam, the first night, as it is complimentary.

CruiserDan

http://www.saintpeterealtors.com

Thank you for the explanation, Dan. Your initial post made it appear that the Pinnacle was complimentary to all and not just under certain specific circumstances. I'm sure I'm not the only person who read your post that way.

Yes, Dan, that is correct as to AmEx Platinum holders who used their card to pay for the cruise.

When we arrived in our Suite on Rotterdam, there was a card in our cabin advising us we could dine free that night in Pinnacle and gave the extension number we should call to confirm a reservation.....(or have the Concierge in Neptune Lounge to it for us).

We did not go that night but did enjoy Pinnacle on three other nights.

Just came off of the O two weeks ago and had the Pinnacle for both my wife and I and we throughly enjoyed the food and service. Both were outstanding!

Our wine steward came over from the Vista lounge and served us our bottle of wine that we has pre bought prior to the cruise. The only "not so good" item was that there was a party of Asian people that were very loud and getting along with the drinks and such if you know what I mean. Our waiter apologized many times. He said it was akin to a chinese buffet! Anyway the food and service meant more to us than the commotion which we just tried to ignore. I vote that someone who goes on the cruise needs to try it just get a reservation early as our ship was sold out after the first night.

Have fun.

Jerry

I was hesitant to try the Pinnacle because of the extra charge. This past March on the Rotterdam, it was dad's birthday, so we went for his birthday. I have to say, the $20 per person charge was truly minimal for what we had, it was spectacular and are looking forward to going back to the Pinnacle on both the Zuiderdam and Volendam.

I highly recommend this restaurant.

I have had three great experiences in the Pinnacle during the last year [ Zuiderdam 2X, Oosterdam] and one miserable one [Prinsendam]. The latter was due to change-over in crew New York in which everyone was new and seemed to fall over themselves.

Without getting into likes and dislikes of food [I love asparagus, Rev doesn't...more for me], I believe the quality of meat to be better [Sterling]. I like the atmosphere better in some than others. [Don't really like the steel environment in the Vistas].

Underlying this poll is the extra cost. To me, this means nothing, and even in my worst experience I believed the food was of value. [And I love Perkins!] Helluva lot better than Todd English at $30 on the QM2.

Sailed the Zaandam last week, and tried the Pinnacle one night. We were incredibly dissapinted in the quality -- the food was actually *far* worse than the main dining room. The "vine ripened tomato and basil salad" was actually a few slices of beefsteak tomato that was picked off the vine well before it had ripened. It was barely edible. The filet mignon was good, but no better than in your average steak restaurant back home, and the sauces they provided with it ranged from "okay" to "blech". I tried the asparagus w/ bernaise sauce as one of my side dishes. The asparagus was undercooked and the sauce was almost tasteless. The baked potato was so cold it didn't even melt the butter.

For dessert, we ordered the chocolate volcano cake, as I'd heard so many people rave about it in the past (as well as the fact that we knew we'd be getting baked alaska the following night, so we didn't want it twice). It was tasty, but awfully dry even with the orange-zested wipped cream spooned on top. The presentation was sorely misguided as well; it arrived in a very large covered bowl, which opened to reveal a 3/4 inch layer of cake all the way at the bottom. I assume the cake requires a dish that size when it cooks and then collapses after it's removed from the oven. We had the main dining room's version a couple of nights later, which was much better -- incredibly moist and gooey chocolatey paradise, served on a small plate that . :D

Finally, and this had no bearing on the food but further contributed to our dislike for the Pinnacle, the Maitre D' was incredibly snooty. I think this was an act, as he seemed nice enough the one time we ran into him outside the restaurant, but it was way over the top.

OK, enough complaining. :) In fairness, I ought to point out the the waitstaff was extremely friendly and helpful, filled our water glasses frequently (a pet peeve of ours in many restaurants), and just generally made for a pleasant dining atmosphere.

-- Rob

We definitely are not steak house fans: that's why we've been to steakhouses perhaps three times in 36 years of marriage. We'd much rather have international food, such as Dutch night, the Indonesian food, and the type of food featured in the Venetian room (and will greatly miss having that as the alternative restaurant). We simply don't like having large cuts of red meat, and prefer chicken, fish, veggies, etc. In addition, Joe is allergic to chocolate, so no volcano cake for him! Given our food preferences, is it worth it to try the Pinnacle restaurant?

My mother isn't a beef fan but got the salmon, said it was incredibly delicious. Her cousin got another fish dish, I forget what she got, but she said it was wonderful. We all enjoyed our meals there that I cannot wait to eat there again. So given that, I would say, yes, give it a try, make reservations for the first night ahead of time since it will only cost you $10 per person, providing they are still doing this. I think you will enjoy it.

I am sorry for the folks who didn't enjoy their first experience. I had the asparagas, thought it was fantastic and the chocolate volcano cake was spectaclar, ooyyy and goooyyy, just like it should be. Perhaps you could try it again, I thought it was spectacular.

Sounds like Rob hit an "off" night. It happens in the best of resturants.
I wonder if he complained? Sent the cold potato back and they brought him a hot one? These people aim to please and if you complain they will do their best to correct it. If you don't complain to them you complain here and we can't do a thing for you. We would like to hear how they corrected your problems.

Yes, it did sound like Rob hit an off night...and also had a different standard.

Like it or not [and I really don't], vegetables are served al dante in haute cuisine these days. Rob said the asparagus were undercooked...well that's al dante.

This is not the first time someone has said on here that their baked potato was cold in the Pinnacle. I know that the food served in the Pinnacle is carried by the waiters from the same kitchen that serves the regular dining room (though the Pinnacle food is prepared in a separate area by the Pinnacle chef), but it doesn't seem like a properly baked potato would get cold that fast. The same diners are not complaining that any of their other food is cold. :confused:

[quote name='lknick']
Like it or not [and I really don't], vegetables are served al dante in haute cuisine these days. Rob said the asparagus were undercooked...well that's al dante.[/QUOTE]
Agree about the haute cusine. I don't care for it either. If I want a veggie raw I would order it raw!

[QUOTE]The "vine ripened tomato and basil salad" was actually a few slices of beefsteak tomato that was picked off the vine well before it had ripened. [/QUOTE]

I have to agree with Rob on this one. I had this on the Volendam last August and they were still partly green. Nothing like the beefsteak tomatoes we get here in Southern Ontario in August. Hmmmmmm - so good.

I had the petit fillet and it was delicious, although I couldn't eat all of it. The pepper steak with pepper steak sauce that we had on our last cruise when we dined with the Captain in the dining room, was fabulous and so much better than anything served in the Pinnacle, in fact the whole meal that night was incredible, right from starters down to the dessert - wish I could remember the name of it but it wasn't on the printed menu.

I like my veggies el dante, but DH likes them overcooked - almost mushy! Ugh! One evening at dinner I got a lukewarm/hard potato and I sent it back for a properly cooked one. These things happen - just return it.

Archived