CC Boards and "cookies"

the2ofus

This really is a cruise-related question and I'm hoping some of the more computer-savvy posters here can help.

I periodically clear old files and cookies from my computer using Norton System Works software. I have noticed that all the highlighting of threads on the CC boards disappears except one. The Royal Caribbean Roll Call board remains highlighted even though I haven't visited it recently. (Our cruise on AOS was back in May.) The highlights on the HAL board disappear every time.

Anyone have an idea why the highlighting remains on just this one place on CC? Does this tell me that RCCL is tracking my visits to CC? How do I get rid of it?

This really is a cruise-related question and I'm hoping some of the more computer-savvy posters here can help.

I periodically clear old files and cookies from my computer using Norton System Works software. I have noticed that all the highlighting of threads on the CC boards disappears except one. The Royal Caribbean Roll Call board remains highlighted even though I haven't visited it recently. (Our cruise on AOS was back in May.) The highlights on the HAL board disappear every time.

Anyone have an idea why the highlighting remains on just this one place on CC? Does this tell me that RCCL is tracking my visits to CC? How do I get rid of it?

You are probably "subscribed" to the Roll Call thread. The CC server will keep track of this, otherwise the cookie that is held by your system will only track the information that you are logged in and the threads you have visited. These are first party cookies and do not track your surfing habits. Without them you would have to log in every time you switched boards and would never know what threads you have read. Cookies are basically dumb and do not contain programs that execute programs on your computer. The CC server and your computer exchanges the information in the cookie when you enter the site.

Take care,

Mike

I have noticed on my computer at home that since I began visiting CC, I've been getting TONS of pop-ups...especially from RCCL! What program do you use again?

• Administrators

First of all, we don't use advertising popups on Cruise Critic.

There is a popUNDER of our homepage *if* you visit the boards and are unregistered or not logged in. Clicking the "REMEMBER ME" box ensures you won't see the homepage over and over again.

There is a 'cookie' that RCCL uses on their sponsored forum here on Cruise Critic. It doesn't track you personally per se, but does keep track of simple info such as how many times individuals visit and if you visit over and over. It doesn't trigger popups from other places, or so I'm told (but I will verify this again with RCCL).

Now, another issue is why your Norton isn't deleting that cookie. Norton treats ALL my cookies the same way -- if I tell it to zap them it should zap them all.

I'm going to try to zap all my cookies using Norton and see if I can recreate your issue.

Laura

Thanks, Mike. I didn't think of the 'subscribing' possibility. You do have to 'sign up' for the Meet & Mingle parties. Maybe that become a "subscribe" situation. I'll go to the roll call board and see if you can 'unsubscribe'.

The funny thing is, that I have not received even one e-mail from RCCL since the cruise, even though I signed up for Crown and Anchor Society. Not that I'm hoping for a ton of e-mail ads for "deals".

Laura,

Thank you for your response. This highlighting thing has been puzzling me for several weeks. Normally, if I visit a board other than the HAL board, it is a rare occasion. Can't spend ALL of my time on Cruise Critic!:)

Usually, that other board remains highlighted for a couple of weeks but if I don't return again, eventually the highlighting disappears. With the RCCL Roll Call Board, that does not happen. I just think its odd, and not being computer savvy, I thought someone might have an explanation.

Sail7Seas, it isn't the RCCL board that I'm talking about. There can be some interesting discussions over there. That one behaves like all the rest.

It is the RCCL Roll Call board that remains highlighted.

Archived