Zuiderdam - Jewellery Shopping

Starbright

What kind of jewellery is available to purchase on board Zuiderdam?

I've purchased one or two lovely things on board Princess ships and would like to do the same this year on Zuiderdam.

The last time I was onboard, the Zuiderdam carried quite a wide selection of jewellery in their shop. Gold, silver, diamond, sapphire, emerald, topas...it was all there. You might want to browse first and price things out on pieces that you would like before heading ashore to compare prices. I bought a very nice tanzanite and diamond ring in St Thomas last year and when I priced it on the ship, they had the price quite a bit higher. :)

I strongly suggest that you do some preliminary shopping at stores near home first! Know the going rate for items you like before you buy something onboard just for the sake of buying it there.

On the other hand, if you're looking for a nice and reasonably priced souvenir of your trip in the way of jewelry, keep this in mind: virtually every cruise ship I've been on (12) has a "special sale" of gemstones for a very reasonable per carat price. They'll have a variety of semi-precious stones for around $10/carat-- and you don't find that sort of thing at your neighborhood jewelers. However, then it's up to you to get the stone set, and that can get expensive! I bought an amethyst on one trip that I had made into a pendant at a local (home) jeweler, but they charged what I considered too much for it. A few cruises ago, I bought a blue-green topaz on a Canadian cruise; the following year, on a Caribbean cruise, I took it with me and went to a few jewelers in St. Thomas, where I found one who set it in a 14K ring for $125 for me (while I went to lunch). Since the stone had cost less than $30, I had a wonderful souvenir of TWO cruises for a very reasonable price, and I wear it constantly.

We buy very little jewelry on board or on shore, but do some. DH got a awesome watch while in St Thomas about 4 years ago, but even then, not such a great deal. He paid just under $700 and in the states it is just over $700. As suggested check before you leave and again check on board and then on shore. If nothing else we have always found the selection much better on shore. To us buying on ship is for that last minute $75 peice you just think you really want or may want to bring home to someone special. NMNita

I have had good luck buying on shore (never on the ship).

In 2002 shopped for an emerald ring as had always wanted one. Love the jewelry shop in St. Maarten (have purchased there more than once) and spent a good amount of time really looking. Chose a shop that had a US office/contact should there be any issues. Did not go with the super large (Colombian Emeralds) etc. as their prices did not seem competitive. Bartered for a long time and ended up with a beautiful emerald and diamond ring. They "promised" it would appraise for double in the states . . .

Well, it did and then some. Paid just over $1,600 and it appraised (very reputable appraiser for insurance purposes) for almost $5,000.

Any time or any ship I've looked at anything comparable, the prices are at least triple to what I paid.

Good luck and happy shopping!

Regards,

Kelly

• 3 months later...

The best part of buying jewelry in the Islands are the memories of fun times that will come flooding back to your mind each time you look at it.

Educate yourself prior to your trip and keep a budget in mind. Don't get caught up in the glamour of the cruise and go over your budget.

There are wonderful bargains to be had in the islands. The larger the item the more money that can be saved. Be ready to bargain and dont be shy to ask for a low price.

CaribbeanBlue

http://www.*****.org

Archived