Shore Excursions

MelissaForrest

I have heard you should not purchase the shore excursions through the cruise line (Carnival) because they are so expensive, just to book local tours once you get off the ship. I am going to be in Puerto Rico, Tortola, Virgin Gorda, St. John and St. Thomas. As a 33 year old single female first time cruiser who is not going with anyone else (just me by myself), what would you recommend? Also, is it possible just to get off the ship and wander around yourself without doing a tour?

Thanks,

MelissaForrest

The only time I don't use the cruise line for excursions is when I've been to that particular port before. There are so many scams and dangerous situations out there, it's tough determining what's for real and what's not. If I were traveling alone for the first time, I'd pay the extra to go through the cruiseline. Plus, you're guaranteed to get back on the ship on time. The ship won't depart until the tour returns (or will make arrangements for you to get to the ship if you miss it for free). And, yes, you can get off the ship and explore yourself. Just be aware of your surroundings and make sure to be back on the ship in time. It WILL leave without you if you're not part of one of their tours.

You'll have a blast, don't worry. And, when you return, we will be here welcoming a fellow cruise addict with open arms :D

What 2 said. If I was travelling alone in a strange country, I'd think twice about accepting a tour from a complete stranger. It's PROBABLY safe, but is it worth saving $10 or $20 for that risk?

The tours the cruise sets up for you are with known vendors, with known guides and known equipment, and you will be with many other shipmates. And if they're late getting back to the ship (equipment trouble, etc), the ship will wait for them.

With someone with a booth at the pier? Who knows!

It depends on the tour you want. Sometimes the cruise lines are just as expensive as anyone else, so there is no advantage to going with an independent. As a single female traveler, I've discovered some ports are fine for going off on your own, some aren't.

I have heard you should not purchase the shore excursions through the cruise line (Carnival) because they are so expensive, just to book local tours once you get off the ship. I am going to be in Puerto Rico, Tortola, Virgin Gorda, St. John and St. Thomas. As a 33 year old single female first time cruiser who is not going with anyone else (just me by myself), what would you recommend? Also, is it possible just to get off the ship and wander around yourself without doing a tour?

Thanks,

MelissaForrest

I would look into pre-booking your excursions with a reputable tour company prior to leaving for your cruise. Like others, I'm not sure about waiting to go on shore before deciding on one, although many people choose that option.

Do some research and figure out what you'd like to do at the various ports. There is a Cruise Critic forum specific to individual ports as well as some activities, e.g. scuba diving and snorkelling. Check out those forums and ask people for recommendations for private tour companies.

There's also http://www.shoretrips.com which I found to be a good resource.

On our recent cruise in the Western Caribbean last month, we booked one shore excursion via Royal Caribbean and another one by ourselves. We used Eagle Ray Divers in Cozumel and they were wonderful. There was great communication before we left on the cruise and we had a great time.

One thing I've heard about booking an excursion via the cruise ship is that you can expect huge crowds. For example, we saw big boatloads of cruise passengers doing snorkelling trips -- they were packed in like cattle -- while we had a party of five in our snorkelling group, which I found to be much more relaxing.

As for exploring ports by yourself, I'm sure you will make friends quickly on board and probably wind up touring around together. It's probably safer and a lot more fun to share memories.

Have a great cruise!

Archived