Need advice desperately! Solo Traveler w/Group ???

Cherie319

Hi Everyone,

I hope you can help. I just came back from a cruise (on the Dawn) and I just loved it! Loved it so much that I'm planning a group trip. I collected all info, i.e. $$, date, payment plan, etc. got a group of people who were (and a few still are) excited and all said "Yes, we're going!!" Now here's the problem, now that $$ is involved most dropped out. There's only 1 couple (celebrating their anniversary), a few maybes (very few), and me. After planning this trip I'm the solo traveler :( . I am basically a shy person who can't imagine doing anything alone (even though I have) - but I am getting so tired of not going on trips because I can't get anyone to go. 80% of me is saying "go, have a great time," but there's that 20% that says "stay home!"

So help! I need to overcome the 20% - Thank you so much.

P.S. I already gave my deposit. :eek:

Hi Everyone,

Join the roll call and cruise with a new group of friends. This way you will have some folks you know before you go. I have done that and ended up cruising again with folks from the first roll call.

I agree with Shoreguy. Go ahead and have a great time for yourself. You'll find so many friendly people on the roll call boards. You'll probably even find another solo traveler that you can chum around with. When you go to the restaurants for dinner, if you agree to sit with others, you'll meet lots of new people. You'll never have to dine alone unless you choose to. I've had people cancel out on me several times. My daughter is my cruising companion. She met her husband on the Majesty. He was a crew member. She loves cruising so much that she is going with me in October, even though he can't go because of work. By the way, I had booked this cruise myself. I was going no matter what! She decided to go after all, and I let her hop onboard for just port charges and tax, since I had planned on paying the entire cost myself anyway. It's a win-win situation I guess. Go and have a blast!

Hi Everyone,

.......... I am basically a shy person who can't imagine doing anything alone (even though I have) - but I am getting so tired of not going on trips because I can't get anyone to go. 80% of me is saying "go, have a great time," but there's that 20% that says "stay home!"

I went and read our review of the DAWN and some of your other posts, you seem like a very positive minded person and a good planner (you got the group together for the last one as well I gathered)

I'd start shaking the trees in a roll call to meet other people and before you know it you won't be cruising "alone".

I have a similiar situation, I have the time and the $$ to cruise but my partner is still working and has limited time off. Of course I'd rather be with him on a cruise but I also want to cruise more...so far my game plan has been to try to find other friends that may like a cruise for VERY cheap (Since I have to pay for 2 anyway, I'm going to offer friends that may not have the $$$ to cruise an offer for them to come along for just port charges, taxes and of course their own expenses onboard)

That way I have company, they get to experience a cruise which was probably not in their budgets, although I am looking at last minute lower cost cruises for just me in case I can't recruit a friend to come along.

GO! Have a great time, relax..I think the best bet to not feel alone is the roll calls..be up front , tell them the situation and hopefully there will be offers to join them for excursions and whatnot

Join the roll call and cruise with a new group of friends. This way you will have some folks you know before you go. I have done that and ended up cruising again with folks from the first roll call.

Shoreguy, remember the gal (her name has slipped my mind) that cruised with all of us last Sept. She was in her early 30s I would say and was alone, but spent so much time with all of us. If she hadn't joined our meet and greet group I am sure she wouldn't have had as much fun. NMNita

You might also want to check out the board for Solos. There are a lot of encouraging posts and threads there, and ideas on how to make the most out of traveling solo. I'm going for my first cruise in October. I've wanted to go cruising for 30 years but never did because no one I knew wanted to. I finally figured out I could go it alone and am really looking forward to the trip. I know one post by a solo cruiser loves freestyle dining as better for a solo traveler than standard dining, so NCL is probably a good choice. Have a great time.

Hi Everyone,

I hope you can help. I just came back from a cruise (on the Dawn) and I just loved it! Loved it so much that I'm planning a group trip. I collected all info, i.e. $$, date, payment plan, etc. got a group of people who were (and a few still are) excited and all said "Yes, we're going!!" Now here's the problem, now that $$ is involved most dropped out. There's only 1 couple (celebrating their anniversary), a few maybes (very few), and me. After planning this trip I'm the solo traveler :( . I am basically a shy person who can't imagine doing anything alone (even though I have) - but I am getting so tired of not going on trips because I can't get anyone to go. 80% of me is saying "go, have a great time," but there's that 20% that says "stay home!"

Cherie...this is just my opinion...OH, MY GOSH.:D..JUST GO!:D!! If you can afford it and have the time, just go and experience what life can give you...good, bad, or ugly...you'll be LIVING your life with gusto.:cool: The cruise I went on as a solo passenger was by far, the BEST cruise I've ever taken. I'm usually totally considerate and do what others want to do...to a fault...but on my "solo" cruise, I did what I wanted, when I wanted, and ONLY IF I wanted. It was excellent!!! Being on a cruise as a solo traveler is cool too, because most people are happy to meet new people, so you're really only as solo as you want to be.

My solo cruise was on Carnival, and each night at dinner in the main dining room our table, consisting of all "singles" had all kinds of things to share with each other about how things were going and what we liked or not about excursions or on board stuff.

I don't know what your situation is, but you said you are shy. If you're worried about getting hit on, you could always use the old trick of wearing a fake wedding ring.

I hope you decide to go, and have a great time...on your terms.

Thank you so much! I'm going!!! :D Shoreguy, Macday & NJBear, great advice and I will join the roll call. Who knows I might still get a good turn out.

:) :D :)

Good for you! I'm so glad to hear it. You'll have a great time.

Archived