Just curious

Twistergirrl

The Captains wife does not travel with him on the cruise. We had dinner with the Captain on our Alaskan cruise and he told us he maintained a home in Florida with his wife and children and one in his native Italy for vacation/retirement. He said occasionally they would sail with him for vacation but rarely as the kids had school and his wife kept up the homefront. They do a schedule where they work so many months and then are off so many months. Seems like it was 4 months on and 2 months off but don't remeber exactly. There were 2 captains that alternated on that particular ship, both very experienced because of the Alaskan waters.

From what I understand the Captains quarters are generally very near the bridge with senior officers nearby in single but much smaller quarters. The Captain would have a living area as well as desk area and separate sleeping area. Junior officers and crew are generally 2 to a cabin which are quite small on the lower decks(below passenger decks). This is from just the ship we were on but I am sure they are all pretty much the same.

Though there is a lady who posts stories on CC about life on board a ship. Her husband is or was a captain with Celebrity. She sailed with him a lot, though I think she had jobs on board as well. Her columns provide a lot of insight into an arena that most of us will never see.

A friend and I were guests of the captain for dinner in his quarters on a cruise several years ago. Just a coupla weeks ago, I gave a detailed description of his lovely and spacious quarters. I don't know where the thread is now. You might try a search?

Aha - I found it... The cruise was on a Carnival ship. The Captain's quarters were located just steps from the bridge, and the officer's quarters were nearby.

The Captain had a living room/dining room combination, very well appointed with art, tropical plants, bookshelves, large desk, small bar, all the amenities you would expect. A solid door separated the living room from the bedroom. The bedroom was large, with walk-in closet, chaise lounge, bed, night stands, lamps, etc. The bathroom was large, with tub and shower. A tiny alcove off the dining area had a small refrigerator and a microwave on a small counter, w/a coupla cabinets below. It was behind a room divider type screen.

Our evening began w/cocktails and hors d'oeuvres, and a tour of the bridge. Dinner was wheeled in on a cart and set before us on a beautifully set table, with a nice wine.

There were dozens of framed family photos. The Captain delighted us with tales of Italy, and told us all about his family. After dinner, we had cordials, then went down to one of the lounges and enjoyed the music and a little dancing.

It was one of the loveliest evenings of my cruising history.:)

Aha - I found it... The cruise was on a Carnival ship. The Captain's quarters were located just steps from the bridge, and the officer's quarters were nearby.

The Captain had a living room/dining room combination, very well appointed with art, tropical plants, bookshelves, large desk, small bar, all the amenities you would expect. A solid door separated the living room from the bedroom. The bedroom was large, with walk-in closet, chaise lounge, bed, night stands, lamps, etc. The bathroom was large, with tub and shower. A tiny alcove off the dining area had a small refrigerator and a microwave on a small counter, w/a coupla cabinets below. It was behind a room divider type screen.

Our evening began w/cocktails and hors d'oeuvres, and a tour of the bridge. Dinner was wheeled in on a cart and set before us on a beautifully set table, with a nice wine.

There were dozens of framed family photos. The Captain delighted us with tales of Italy, and told us all about his family. After dinner, we had cordials, then went down to one of the lounges and enjoyed the music and a little dancing.

It was one of the loveliest evenings of my cruising history.:)

Thanks! and since I am still channeling my inner 5yr old. Anybody know where to find crew deck plans?

Do you know where you go to when you are going off the ship on tenders? That's generally the area where the crew quarters start, and on the decks below that. They are very spartan, small and you have to double up, unless you're a crew manager or higher up and then you get a cabin to yourself. Think of the smallest inside cabin on any ship---that's the size of a crew quarter.

I've had cocktails in the captain's quarters a few times and they are quite nice. They generally have two or three of larger cabins combined into one, with a living room, dining area, office and bedroom. A captain is allowed to bring his wife and kids on board. On Crystal, the captain had his wife and young daughter and her tutor on board for the entire 104 day world cruise. His wife was a former Crystal employee and she acted as World Cruise Hostess. Generally speaking, captains work three months on and three off, but during their off time, they have to go to school to keep their licenses up to date. There are very few captain's schools in the world, with most of them being in Europe. There is an officer's mess where they take their meals every day.

For the crew, they have things like a gym, internet room, game rooms, a store where they buy things like snacks, shampoo and other personal items.

They don't publish crew deck plans because they don't want passengers going to areas where they aren't allowed.

Archived