Norovirus on Mariner???

Just received an email from RCCL. We are scheduled to leave on the Mariner this Sunday and the email says that there is a norovirus outbreak on the current sailing and our embarkation will be delayed due to extensive cleaning of the ship and the terminal. Has anyone heard of this? How concerned should we be?

Hello. I just got off of the Mariner from the July 16-23 Western Caribbean cruise and was looking at our Roll Call Board. I was looking at the July 30th thread to see if I could answer any questions they had about the Mariner and the cruise overall and they had a slight discussion going on about the e-mail they received. I suggest looking over there and if you have any questions, they might be able to help. Hope this helps!

Derek

Wash your hands often. Never touch your face. After going through a buffet line and handeling utensils after hundreds of others, wash your hands or use a hand cleaner before eating. Same in the dining room. Think about getting on to a tender... hundreds of people have grabed the same handrail and everyone is sweaty.

Fair Princess 1994

Regal Princess 1995

Crown Princess 1995

Song of America 1997

Sun Princess 1997

Song of America 1998

Crown Princess 1998

Sea Princess 1999

Rhapsody of the Seas 1999

Ocean Princess 2000

Sea Princess 2000

Rhapsody of the Seas 2001

Radiance of the Seas 2001

Mercury 2001

Sea Princess 2002

Radiance of the Seas 2002

Splendor of the Seas 2003

Mercury 2004

Serenade of the Seas 2005

Grand Princess 2006

Radiance of the Seas 2006

First of all, I'm glad that RCCL e-mailed you to warn you of the embarkation delay; that will save you from sitting around in the terminal unnecessarily.

I've been on a ship the first cruise after it was taken out of SERVICE due to a norovirus outbreak (Disney Magic) and as others have said, the best offense is a good defense.

Wash your hands CONSTANTLY. Use a paper towel after washing your hands to open the door when exiting a bathroom. Try to avoid touching your mouth or any part of your face. Carry hand sanitizer, and USE what they offer you at the restaurants and buffet (and they DO offer it constantly, I was just on the Mariner a few weeks ago).

Be sure to tell any kids you have traveling to follow the same rules.

Honestly, the fact that they are taking the time to do a thorough cleaning would make me feel MORE comfortable. I'm a very firm believer that proper hand washing and paying attention to NOT touching your face if you have touched public surfaces really goes a LOOOONG way. Not just with norovirus but with getting any other illness as well.

Most of all, DON'T let this spoil the WONDERFUL cruise on the Mariner that I'm SURE you will have! :)

I too just got off the Mariner before this present cruise. I got the bug while on board, Saturday night. It comes on real slow, hit me full blast Sunday evening, early Monday am when I was home.

When I told my Dr that I just came back from the Carib. on a cruise, Mexico no less, he chuckled and said "That'll do it!" and added that is one of the reasons He and his family will not cruise.

I wonder if I was caught the beginning of the current outbreak, and how many other cruisers came home with it. Anyhow, it is not pretty, and if you do get it during your cruise, it will ruin it.

Interesting that Norovirus has surfaced during the summer months - don't usually hear about an outbreak this time of year. I work in the health care field and 100% of any outbreaks we have seen, have been in the Fall and Winter months.

I agree with the previous posters - wash your hands dilligently!

I have been in a facility that has had an outbreak at least 4 times - I caught it the first time, but never again....I think it's because I washed my hands constantly.

Hopefully they will get the ship sanitized/cleaned and you will enjoy a wonderful cruise! :)

Where can I find this discussion. I have looked all over and cannot locate. I am new to this. I am scheduled on Mariner next week 8/6/06 and am now in a panic.

Thanks

Maggie-

Don't panic! Unfortunately, Norovirus outbreaks on cruise ships are not all that uncommon these days. Not a whole heck of a lot you can do about it - except follow the advice of the people on this thread and make sure you are washing your hands OFTEN! Take some hand sanitizer with you and keep it in your purse or beach bag. There will be hand sanitizing stations outside the dining rooms and the Windjammer. Don't freak out - just be dilligent!

Don't worry! Just as everyone else has said. I was on that cruise and fortunately did not get sick. After reading these boards for so long I have learned that hand washing is SOOO important. Every night before dinner I excused myself to go wash my hands. Do that before every meal and try not to touch your face and you should be ok. Here is that link if you are interested in talking to other on your sailing.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=234126&page=25

The best of luck to you!

Derek

I am traveling with some kids...well they are 18. We are traveling on the Mariner August 18th. I was telling them just today that they must wash their habds etc. because of the possiblity of illness. I am also packing a travel kit of "supplies" like hand sanitizers etc. My question sis this, what should I bring just in case one of them comes down with something? Pepto Bismol, or what?

Any advice?

I just caught the Norovirus from a local restaurant a few weeks ago - right in the heat of summer here. It is NOT a good thing to have as other posters have stated. Basically, symptoms may not start until 36 hours after contact with an infected food/person. Personally, it took me 4 days to recover (1 day of being very sick, the other days of being extrememly weak and an overall feeling of "blah.") Do a search to find out more about this nasty virus that doesn't affect only those on cruises (just a reminder that the following tips are for ALL of us, ALL the time).

ALWAYS dispense some paper towels BEFORE you wash your hands, wash your hands with soap for at least 20 seconds, dry your hands with the paper towel, turn off the water with the used paper towel, open door with paper towel, then throw away paper towel in the trash IF it is close to the door and you don't have to touch the door with your bare hands. (FYI, if the trash isn't near the door you may be inclined to throw the paper towel on the floor - maybe the management will learn to place the trash cans near the door...)

As other posters have stated, keep your hands clean and away from your face. Having said that... there is nothing you can do if you eat a food that is contamintated (as is what happened to me). It is relatively rare to hear about the norovirus outbreaks on cruise ships considering how many THOUSANDS of people are sailing daily. SO... go, have fun and forget about all the germs out there!

Hi there,

I will also echo the sentiments and ask you not to worry too much about this. On Explorer in April, we got to the pier and were greeted with signage and handouts that the same thing had happened - they were taking extra time to clean and disinfect the ship so embarkation would be delayed. Trust me, you want this! Do you know how clean your ship will be after that and for the entire cruise? You will see the crew cleaning constantly. It's a good thing. ;)

When there is an outbreak, or they are cleaning up after one, you will find that in the Windjammer buffet, the crew will serve you. This way, you don't have to handle all the utensils that hundreds of other passengers have touched. They will serve you, with gloved hands. It's also a good thing. :)

Yes, be vigilant about the hand sanitizer; I know some will tell you that it doesn't do that much good, but trust me - it works. The Food and Beverage Manager himself told us that the stuff they use on board is over 80% alcohol. It kills stuff, don't worry.

Don't touch the elevator buttons with your fingers - use your elbow. Try not to touch the hand railings around the ship (but be careful not to trip - remember, the ship is moving! :D ). Wash your hands often with hot, soapy water and just be careful and observant.

Oh... and a tip from someone on these boards (sorry, I don't know her name), but the crew cleans with bleach. Do be careful about leaning on any wet surfaces - bleach will stain your clothing.

Have a great time! Cruising is fun. You'll be all right. :)

~Karen

I am traveling with some kids...well they are 18. We are traveling on the Mariner August 18th. I was telling them just today that they must wash their habds etc. because of the possiblity of illness. I am also packing a travel kit of "supplies" like hand sanitizers etc. My question sis this, what should I bring just in case one of them comes down with something? Pepto Bismol, or what?

Any advice?

If you contact the norovirus (or another gastointestinal bug), then it is best to let it run its course (the body gets rid of the virus through vomitting and diarrhea - sorry it that's too much info...). You could consider an anti-nausea medicine AFTER you've been sick for a little while (again, you want your body to do its thing at least for a little while UNLESS you become dehydrated or have other health factors), but that would most likely be in the form of a suppository and would need to be refrigerated. My guess is that the ship will have any medicine you would want if the need should arise.

As they saw me leaving the ladies room after washing my hands to the tune of Happy Birthday. As a doctor on the news stated for kids watching, was to sign the song, then rinse hands again singing the song, this way you have washed them enough to kill whatever. Then dry hands and take kleenex or paper towel to open doors, etc.

I works, we have not been sick yet! But flying home has gotten us everything from pneumonia to the flu. And yesterday CNN had a Doc on with a new virus to effect folks that is common in China, so they come here & get us sick, or on a cruise for us to spread here, if you are sick stay home!

I disagree with QTMichelle about letting it run its course. I keep prescription Compazine (an anti-nausea medication) on hand. If I realize I've gotten a so-called stomach bug (usually some form of Norovirus) I take it immediately and keep taking it as recommended. I don't believe in vomiting if I don't have to. Just my opinion.

Also, vomiting, diarhea, etc. tends to spread the virus and contaminate things more. Best to put a stop to that if you can.

Just received an email from RCCL. We are scheduled to leave on the Mariner this Sunday and the email says that there is a norovirus outbreak on the current sailing and our embarkation will be delayed due to extensive cleaning of the ship and the terminal. Has anyone heard of this? How concerned should we be?

I just received an email from a friend on mine who works at the port in JAX,she and most of the other Jax employees are going down to Port Canaveral to help out with the Mariner passengers,seems there are hundreds onboard who are sick.The ship will be delayed several hrs to clean and disenfect......

Doesn't the CDC have to give an ok for sailing after a situation like this also? I am sure the press will have updates later today with the number of sick passengers. Really surprised to hear about this virus in the summer.

I disagree with QTMichelle about letting it run its course. I keep prescription Compazine (an anti-nausea medication) on hand. If I realize I've gotten a so-called stomach bug (usually some form of Norovirus) I take it immediately and keep taking it as recommended. I don't believe in vomiting if I don't have to. Just my opinion.

Also, vomiting, diarhea, etc. tends to spread the virus and contaminate things more. Best to put a stop to that if you can.

It's okay that you disagree! Trust me, I'd rather stop the action before it starts! BUT... almost all medical doctors, the CDC and other health web sites will give the same (or similar) advice as I gave in my post for the reason I gave in my post. By treating the symptoms at the initial onset you are keeping those darn germs in your body. It's worth repeating that this approach may not be best for EVERYone... the young, old and others who have medical conditions. Always talk to your doctor. HOPEFULLY none of us will have to worry about getting this dreaded "out both ends" virus! blah!

Michele

I am currently on the MOS and yes there has been an outbreak of Norovirus. I am not sure exactly how many are sick but as of yesterday one of the waiter staff told me it was between 100-120 when I aksed him.

The crew are doing a great job of cleaning everything as they go along, stair railings, elevator buttons, dining room chairs etc. Also in the windjamer you are now served the offerings off the day rather than helping yourself, this is probably the biggest change I have noticed.

Other than this everything seems fairly normal, I just hope all that got sick recovered quickly and managed to enjoy as much of there vacation as possible.

been a great cruise and even though this was scare, would not ever put me off cruising, it comes with the territory I am afraid.

Archived