Optinal Formal on Freestyle

pampaul

Just wondering if the optional formal on freestyle is a bit different than regular formal. I'm assuming that since it's optional and there will be people there in formal, semi formal, casual, etc.

The reason we chose freestyle cruising is because we are not people who like to dress up (AT ALL). BUT I figured if we do get semi-dressed up on formal night, 1-we'd probably fit in with everyone since there will be some people casual, semi and formal, correct? And 2--we'd have the opportunity to get a great family picture done while we all somewhat decked out (atleast for us)

Here's what we'll be wearing....opinions please

DH--a dark colored suit/white shirt/tie

DS9--dark colored dockers/white button up shirt/tie

DS11--same as his brother/just a different colored tie

ME--black pants(I SO do not wear dresses) with a black/pink top. It's a top that looks like 2 pieces but is really one. The underneath shirt is all black and the jacket piece is black with pink design running through it. Plus it looks as if the jacket is buttoned somewhere in the middle with a nice "broach?".

I know that's not much of a description but that's all I can offer :rolleyes: Basically all I'm asking is optional formal on freestyle different than optional formal on a "regular" cruise.

Optional Formal nights mean that, depending on the ship, 1-2 restaurants are dedicated to formal wear and the rest are casual. The dining venues w/dress codes will be posted in the Freestyle daily planners in your stateroom.

Sounds like you will fit in just fine in a formal venue.

Have a great cruise!

On three NCL cruises (one in 2002 and two in 2005) we've never seen a "designated" formal restaurant. There's a mix of dress in all the restaurants, with only a small minority in suits or tuxes.

Dressing up for a family picture is a good reason for...well...dressing up. You should never feel the need to "dress up" in order to fit in. Resort casual is always appropriate, and people dressed that way will be in the majority on the OPTIONAL formal nights.

On three NCL cruises (one in 2002 and two in 2005) we've never seen a "designated" formal restaurant. There's a mix of dress in all the restaurants, with only a small minority in suits or tuxes.

Dressing up for a family picture is a good reason for...well...dressing up. You should never feel the need to "dress up" in order to fit in. Resort casual is always appropriate, and people dressed that way will be in the majority on the OPTIONAL formal nights.

We too have not seen a restaurant designated as "Formal" for the evening. On the Dawn most of the people, who dressed up, went to the Venetian. It the most elegant of the main dining rooms.

There's no need to feel out of place if you don't dress up. That's what "Optional Formal" means on NCL.

Have a great cruise,

Monty

Optional Formal nights mean that, depending on the ship, 1-2 restaurants are dedicated to formal wear and the rest are casual. The dining venues w/dress codes will be posted in the Freestyle daily planners in your stateroom.

Karen's information is wrong. ALL RESTAURANTS ON ALL NCL SHIPS ALLOW FORMAL OR RESORT CASUAL ON ALL NIGHTS. No restaurant is reserved for just formal wear.

One or two nights will be called "Optional Formal." On those nights you will find more people dressing up. Only about 40% of the passengers will dress up, even on the optional formal night and that 40% will range from tuxes to shirt & tie. The rest will be in resort causal and all will mix just fine.

I have never worn more than a polo shirt, kahki/dockers and sneakers to any restaurant on any night on any NCL cruise that I have been on. Resort casual simply means no jeans, shorts or t-shirts. I never pack any dress clothes or shoes.

That it the best part of Freestyle, the ability to dress as you want. If you want to dress up, then go for it OR if you hate dressing up and don't want to worry about it, that is fine too!

Some advice on pictures: have your formal family photo taken some night other than formal night. On the optional formal nights, the lines for the photographers tend to be quite long. On the NCL ships that I have been on, with the exception of the Dawn (who photographers were inept), the photographers take a lot of time with each group to get the best shots.

The photographers are set up every night and it is much quicker to go on a night when not as many people want their picture taken. (that is what we have always done.)

We have three NCL cruises booked two over Christmas (2006,2007) On other cruiselines our family has always dressed for formal nights, I wear a gown and my husband a tux-our son a suit. Will we look silly on ncl or pretentious?

As I said in my other post, the joy of Freestyle is the ability to dress as you like! I will be honest though, although I have seen many people in suits and long gowns, I have not seen many tuxes. Don't worry though, there will be others dressed up and so go for what YOU want to do!!

We have three NCL cruises booked two over Christmas (2006,2007) On other cruiselines our family has always dressed for formal nights, I wear a gown and my husband a tux-our son a suit. Will we look silly on ncl or pretentious?

Not at all. Those wearing resort casual shouldn't care what you're wearing, just as those dressing formally shouldn't care what the resort casual folks are wearing.

Personally I don't care what others wear but I don't want to be out of place in fine formal wear if everyone else is wearing polo shirts. This is so much different than princess and disney. Maybe we will just leave the good stuff home- although there is something to be said about dressing up nice for christmas.........

As others have said Resort casual is always acceptable. My husband always wore dockers style pants and a collared shirt (even on optional formal night).

If you want to dress up no problem. I would say that on optional formal nights on the cruises we were on about 1/3 "dressed up". I don't recollect any long gowns but there were some very nice party/cocktail style dresses and some men were in suits.

So basically (within NCL guidelines - no jeans, t-shirts or shorts) it's pretty much whatever you care to wear.

I do understand just how you feel. It is not a matter of what you can and cannot do... You can wear formal or casual... For me it was more would I feel uncomfortable myself if I dressed formal, something I like to do. I just was not certain how to pack.

I can tell you that on our recent Crown cruise, I did in the end choose to go formal, and no I did not feel out of place. For as many ladies in causal clothes, there were also a good number going formal and semi formal. The mix allowed me to feel quite comfortable. My husband wore a dark jacket and tie, left the suit and tux at home.

Pampaul, I think I have the same pantsuit as you, only the top that came with mine is red. Too bad we're not on the same ship. :)

What you described sounds perfect to me. As others have stated, dress will run the gamut on optional formal night, and every other night as well. Enjoy!

Just wondering if the optional formal on freestyle is a bit different than regular formal. I'm assuming that since it's optional and there will be people there in formal, semi formal, casual, etc.

The reason we chose freestyle cruising is because we are not people who like to dress up (AT ALL). BUT I figured if we do get semi-dressed up on formal night, 1-we'd probably fit in with everyone since there will be some people casual, semi and formal, correct? And 2--we'd have the opportunity to get a great family picture done while we all somewhat decked out (atleast for us)

Here's what we'll be wearing....opinions please

DH--a dark colored suit/white shirt/tie

DS9--dark colored dockers/white button up shirt/tie

DS11--same as his brother/just a different colored tie

ME--black pants(I SO do not wear dresses) with a black/pink top. It's a top that looks like 2 pieces but is really one. The underneath shirt is all black and the jacket piece is black with pink design running through it. Plus it looks as if the jacket is buttoned somewhere in the middle with a nice "broach?".

I know that's not much of a description but that's all I can offer :rolleyes: Basically all I'm asking is optional formal on freestyle different than optional formal on a "regular" cruise.

As everyone has said, you will do just fine; You are going to see some dressed like they are going out to the fields to work (not a good idea) you will see some tuxes (just a few) and you will see gals in cocktail dresses: most will be dressed very much like you discribe. Enjoy and remember NCL is Freestyle. NMnita

Our "Freestyle" choice is Formal....

But - again - it is your choice....

I bought my Tux several years ago...

My wife buys her formal gowns when she spots a sale...

I then buy color coordinated ties and cumberbund to match...

She then buys "lingerie" to match...

I then buy Jewlery to match...

Need I say More........

We enjoy Formal Night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived