Aft Balconies Wake Noise

Princess Patches

I was wondering how people feel about aft balconies that face directly aft and are right over the wake of the ship. I found it interesting that several threads talk about how these are very desirable cabins that sell out quickly. On the only two occasions I have been offered an upgrade they were both aft suites over the wake of the ship, which would contradict the claim that these balconies sell out first.

On the first occasion I accepted the upgrade, but I declined the upgrade on the second occasion (even though it was a suite). Although I enjoyed the view from the aft of the ship I found the noise from the wake to be very bothersome. It sounds like you are standing next to a very large waterfall (at least it did on the Golden Princess). While this can be a pleasant noise for 15 minutes or so, day in and day out for two weeks was awful. I did not use my balcony except when we were in port. It was too loud to read, nap or even talk comfortably. I suppose on a smaller ship it might be okay because the smaller the ship the smaller the wake and therefore the noise might be less. What is the consensus on balconies that face directly aft and and over the wake?

My first Aft suite was actually on the Golden Princess, and that is what got me hooked! I love the aft location, the noise of the wake is soothing to me. I guess it all personal opinion, like most everything else about cruising!

I will have my first aft cabin on our next cruise. I hope I will enjoy the wake noise. One thing that has bothered me a bit on previous cruises is that when I try to find a nice shady spot on the upper decks to read, there is always some sort of mechanical noise like a huge fan or something. A ship is a big machine so I guess I should expect that. But if I can have a water noise instead of a man-made noise I think I will be happy.

Happy sailings...

We loved our aft balcony on the Grand Princess. It was so much more private and spacious than the majority of the same category cabins on either side of the ship. I never had an issue with noise from the wake. In fact, I would have preferred to be soothed by it at night by leaving the door open, but it's just too darn humid in the Caribbean in the summer. When we aren't fortunate enough to have an aft balcony cabin on a ship (which is every OTHER cruise we have been on) we try to find a public spot (but hopefully not well-known) that closely resembles it and spend some time there.

Got one booked for next summer though!

Whenever we are on a ship, we are drawn to the aft decks. On the Regal Princess, we spent all our time on the Aloha aft deck sunning, hot tubbing and visiting. It was wonderful. We especially enjoyed sitting there after dinner. There was never anyone else around. Looking at the wake and hearing the sound is music to our ears. Even though we had a balcony room most of our time was spent on the aft deck.

We have our first aft balcony on the Diamond Princess for our November cruise. Another plus for this space is we will be blocked from the wind. In November, the days in and out of San Pedro could be seriously nippy.

Cheers, Denise

DChip, I sure hope that your aft balcony out of San Pedro isn't D-741 on the Diamond Princess! We had it in May/June in Alaska, and the balcony was absolutely unusable because of the horrible smell of grinding garbage piped to the filter room next door and then blown directly onto that balcony. There are at least two threads on this; one begun in February and another that I started.

The link is http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=6852401#post6852401 Apparently the Emerald has one of these cabins with a balcony that smells that way, as well.

We've had aft balcony cabins for years, and twice on the Star Princess were next to the filter room with no problem so this hit us by surprise.

We're still talking to Princess about the fact that we paid for a balcony but received the equivalent of an ocean view cabin since the stench on the balcony made us sick. After two rounds of letters, their offer of $50 per person onboard on a future cruise stands. We'll see where it goes.

Charlotte

charlotte

We are booked on the Dawn Princess - aft suite dolphin deck - all the aft suites are gone for the 2007 cruise to Mexico - we booked because we love the expansive view of the ocean and wake trail that is so incredible to see. We also hope to hear the 'waterfall' noise you describe - i could listen to that for a very long time! We had a cabin on an alaska cruise up front and we heard the wake from the bow of the ship when it was going fast enought and loved it!

I have been in aft Suites on three Princess Grand Class ships. I agree that the view is nice but I personally feel that it is very noisy and almost impossible to carry on a conversation. Like Princess Patches we did not use the balcony much because of the noise.

Next time we are booked in a Penthouse Suite on the Riviera deck on the Caribbean Princess. Have not done that before because of concerns about noise from the Lido deck. Have heard mixed reports about that issue but will find out for ourselves.

We were on the Dawn, aft mini suite. The only time we could hear the "wake" was outside on the balcony. On the other hand the mechanical noise was such that I awoke in the middle of the night once chastising my wife for leaving the dryer on! We enjoyed it!

DChip, I sure hope that your aft balcony out of San Pedro isn't D-741 on the Diamond Princess! We had it in May/June in Alaska, and the balcony was absolutely unusable because of the horrible smell of grinding garbage piped to the filter room next door and then blown directly onto that balcony. There are at least two threads on this; one begun in February and another that I started.

The link is http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=6852401#post6852401 Apparently the Emerald has one of these cabins with a balcony that smells that way, as well.

I posted twice on your thread ;-)) apparently E732 just has noise from Club Fusion that we might not be able to hear over the wake!! If that balcony smells, I will go tazmanian!! Right now, I can smell my husband eating jelly beans 3 rooms away. LOL

We were on the Coral Princess and I know the smell because on that ship it is toward the bow on the Promenade deck. Disgusting. Smells like garbage without a doubt.

Good luck, you deserve compensation. They absolutely know this smell exists. From all the postings here, E732 is not supposed to be smelly.

Cheers and good luck again, Denise

Archived