QE 2 Internet Service

maxor6

:rolleyes: How would you rate the internet service on the QE2? Is it available in all cabins? Is it expensive?

I've never used Cunard's ISP, although I've seen the prices and think that it's very expensive! (I didn't post earlier because I hoped that someone would have the prices) In the past I've connected a mobile phone to my laptop - that's worked in whatever port I've tried.

I've never used Cunard's ISP, although I've seen the prices and think that it's very expensive! (I didn't post earlier because I hoped that someone would have the prices) In the past I've connected a mobile phone to my laptop - that's worked in whatever port I've tried.

OOh, ooh!, Here's my chance to use my newly gained knowledge.

I went over to our switch yesterday (Cingular Wireless) where my co-worker and longtime friend was trying to put up some trunks (like special kinds of phone lines) to the cruiseship phone service- Maritime cellular. Well, something wasn't working right and he was tyring to figure out if these worked differently from regular trunks and all. So I did a little digging. I looked into the company we are partnered with for "Cellular at Sea" I do understand a bit more about how it works, but I need to learn more of the nitty gritty stuff, and will try to do so. What I CAN tell you though, is this. It is not yet on the Cunard Ships. RCCL and Carniival I believe have completed it on all of their ships, Prinsess has it on some. I have a list of other ships. And there are presently 340 roaming partners (carriers) with whom they have agreements. It's the next big thing, and it is already taking off like hotcakes. I have mixed emotions about cell phones disturbing the serenity of my cruise, although I have used mine in port, and especially with my laptop. However, if they made strict rules, and maybe put the distributed antenna system in cabins, and tried not to let it be too available out on decks (There are ways to do this) it might be allright.

The main reason I might want it for is data on my laptop, to post a bit to the group here, or check one or two important emails. They shut the system off as you near port so it does not interfere with the local mobile provider's service (It's the law- how far out they shut it down is according to the laws of each port country) and then you are paying whatever national or international roaming or airtime charges your carrier charges, instead of the maritime charges.

http://www.cellularatsea.com/cruiselines_purserinfo.htm

Pretty cool techniology, actually, although as I said, I am not sure I like the idea of idiots walking aroud talking on cell ohones breaking the serenity of a ship. What's next, hip hop ring tones in the Illluminations?

Karie,

Who actually HATES using a cell phone. The cobbler's kids go barefoot!

P.S. I also pulled up their job postings. Talk about your dreamjob!

"Requires passport and ability to obtain visas needed for travel from ship to ship in different countries without

returning to the US. Must be able to use a standard keyboard and read small LCD and CRT screens. Able to travel

on average 50% of the time to remote locations and sail aboard ships for extended periods of time."

I think I qualify!

This is from a January 2006 post. I have to imagine the service has been expanded since then,

"The Cyber Center has about 16 computers available. Although busy at times there was rarely a wait. It is open 24 hours per day.

Rates to surf the internet

By the minute, $.50. There are also packages available for purchase. Of course, these fees could change at any time.

Hours Package

½ $.45 $13.50

1 $.42 $24.95

2 $.40 $47.95

And so forth up to a package with 32 hours equaling $.25/minute for $479.95. Printing is $.50/page regardless of how it turns out.

There are currently three areas with WiFi, if you have a laptop with the proper wireless card. The Lido, Yacht Club and the Board Room. The signals do bleed over a bit to other areas of the ship including some staterooms located nearby. If the ship will be in service for 10 more years they will certainly need to expand this service. I’m not sure of the speed but it is at least as good as any other cruise ship we’ve been on.

For those with a laptop, you have the luxury of composing your email in a Word document and then logging on and copying and pasting the text into your email message. It costs to use word in the Cyber Center. It took some time to compose this message but I was able to connect and paste it into my email message in about 2 minutes and then log off. "

Just come off and had little luck with the internet. First I was amazed that in a Q2 we had no connection in our room. Went to the internet room on 3 occasions and there was no connection on any of them, and guees what when I got my bill I had been charged $1.22, $4.55 & $3.80. when I passed comment at the pursers desk and explained the girl at the internet office knew of the problem, she was quiet inpolite and said so you dont want to pay this amount, which of course I didnt. She then explained that she could not pass a credit without getting confirmation from the internet dept. and she would have to email them which would hardly be worth her time for such a small amount.

I think the price is not so bad the starting at 50c when we were on Oceania cruises it started at 95c! Still 50c is pretty useless if it doesnt work ! also with Oceania you could get on in every cabin and in the grade we were in they even had a complimentary laptop in the room for you to use.

Sorry to go on so much, but I was quiet upset.

Regards

Jim

When I passed comment at the pursers desk and explained the girl at the internet office knew of the problem, she was quiet impolite.

Sorry to go on so much, but I was quiet upset.

Yours isn't the first complaint I've heard about the Purser's Office and their rudeness. Unfortunately I'm sure that it won't be the last:( Let's hope that someone from Cunard reads these complaints and acts on them.

How was the rest of the trip? I hope that it was a lot more enjoyable than the QM2!

Sorry guys . I know many of you adore QE2, we did go with an open mind and went for Q2 thinking it would be good or at least ok!

Yes we were warned that she is an old lady and is somewhat quirkey, we found those bits more than acceptable in fact enjoyed the differences, in that modern cruise ships are a little alike in many ways.

We found getting problems sorted almost impossible taking many calls electrics blowing taking 36 hours for an electrician to arrive, plug stuck in sink taking over 24 hours for someone to fix it, these things shouldnot happen in a basic cabin let alone a premium one.

Food was acceptable loved the giant prawns in garlic butter, but I think maybe they should look at a different way of doing the restaurants, maybe using caronia and mauritania as basic for all all the time and grills being different speciality ones, perhaps to maintain the advantages in the grill cabins, allowing grill passengers as much use as they want of the speciallity rooms and say caronia s twice a cruise and mauritania once, unless vacancies arise.

Pnhmrk yes better than QM2 but worse than we expected , we entered with open mind, but cunard really does have to sort things out. Met some great people aboard many new clients who wont be returning and some old clients saying things are definately worse and getting worse trip by trip.

We dont regret doing the cruise, but feel somewhat sad as we can see the good point and also can see how easily and cheaply things could be bettered.

Hey I have gone on to long yet again

Regards

Jim

Hi Jim,

I am very sorry to learn of all problems experience on your recent QE2 trip & esp. re the food in the Grill - I always find it excellent & am concerned at reading reports recently that suggest otherwise. Re your problems in the suite re electrics did you not insist on seeing the Hotel Manger to resolve such issues esp. as the butler did not seem to be helping you much? My trips on QE2 by contrast seem to get better & better - I sincerely hope that my next one in a month or so & a 3 week cruise in the PG Restaurant will not disappoint me!

I have recently been on Arcadia and the butler in my parents' suite could not have been more helpful or have done enough for them. I have also seen both maids & butlers running through the Queens Grill Lounge at all hours looking after penthouse guests with many drink & food requests.

I gather this was your first Cunard cruise and or what other lines have you travelled on?

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

RJMS

Have done a QM2 , but thought a Q2 on QE2 would have been much better than it was, I think over the years we must have covered most lines, from the not so good Costa , Carnival etc to Silverseas, Crystal & Oceania which I am now conviced offers best quality and value even if drinks/ internet are way over top price wise, you have to put it all into the calcs.

To be honest I gave up on QE2 we decided we were not returning and treated the service as a joke!

There were some high point the entertainment was very good we had Terry Waite as a speaker he was excellent and the suprise was a comedian Mick Miller who was first class.

regards

Jim

There were some high point the entertainment was very good we had Terry Waite as a speaker he was excellent and the surprise was a comedian Mick Miller who was first class.

That is one of the quirks of the QE2 - The last couple of times we've been aboard there has been nothing worth going to see in the way of entertainment, what we have seen has been poor.

Hi Jim,

I am pleased to hear the entertainment and guest lectures on board were good.

Was the service also bad in the QG Restaurant?

Did you also travel Grill class on QM2 and how did it compare?

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

RJMS

Cant complain about the service in queens grill we had 2 polish waiters who were polite and efficient, if any complaint had to be made maybe a little miserable, but given the choice as good or better than a cheerful inefficient waiter! The wine waiter was first class, wish I could take him with me on all my cruises!

QM wasnt grill so cant compare.

regards

Jim

Please, oh please explain how this is done! We are doing the complete World Cruise and I bought a lap top. NOW I need to find a way to connect to the internet. With 6 children and 7 Grandchildren, we HAVE to keep in touch, and I would love to be able to use the computer rather than phone. But NOT at Cunard's internet rate. I understand that other lines offer free internet to frequent cruisers, or people doing the complete world cruise.

-------------------------------------------------------

Please, oh please explain how this is done!

The phone came with a cable that connects to a laptop. Then you just connect to the internet as you would over a normal dial-up connection. (sorry I can't be of more help - mobile phones are something you just get out of the box and use, I don't go in for the technical side of them)

Not all cell phones support data. Check the side of the box and see if it supports it. (If GSM, must support GPRS or GPRS/EDGE or UMTS, or even possibly with an older TDMA CSD- Circuit Switched Data modem. Some have internal modem functionality. Some can be connectedto a modem. Heck even analog phones can support (very slow) data through a cellular connection. I don't believe anyone in the US has CDPD any more (Cellular Digital Packet Data) We shut ours down this year.

If CDMA. Check to see if it does EV-DO or CDMA 2000, I think it is called. I'm not sure what other kind of data a CDMA customer can do.

Go to the web site of the manufcturer of your brand of phone, look for data support or something like that. They will tell you if you need a special cable for the phone. I also have a Blackberry, which I can surf the web, and do email with. Most phones support some sort of POP3 email (but not usually Outlook from Microsoft servers or aol email.) And most GSM (and even TDMA) phones support WAP. (which is very limited "surfing" What kind of phone, and what kind of service do you have. I also have a wireless aircard (Which I had to use to get into my corporate VPN for the last two days. It's slow, but it works.

Cingular (AT&T Wireless) is in the process of putting cellular service into many ships. Carnival. RCCL. Princess, and many others. Cunard has not yet seen fit to provide this service. (I would accept it with mixed emotions. Yes, it's convenient, and some people have never been able to cruise because they have to stay tied to shore, for whatever reason.) But at sea is one of the last bastions of quiet and peace, and "the boss can't call me on vacation, cause he won't pay 15 buckeroos a minute to call me on satellite.

Karie,

Who needs an excuse to not pick up my email or phone. they are making it damned hard to get away wth that!

Archived