Shuttle Service Baltic Ports-- Royal Caribbean

We will be on Jewel of the Seas August 30 and like walking around cities on our own. Does anyone know which cities RCCL offers shuttle service from the ports to the downtowns? I've read on this site that there is such service in some cities but RCCL does not seem able or willing to give me this information (perhaps because they want to sell the shore excursions.

Thanks for any help.

--My_AZ

We will be on Jewel of the Seas August 30 and like walking around cities on our own. Does anyone know which cities RCCL offers shuttle service from the ports to the downtowns? I've read on this site that there is such service in some cities but RCCL does not seem able or willing to give me this information (perhaps because they want to sell the shore excursions.

Thanks for any help.

--My_AZ

Hi,

I was on this trip last year and in Oslo and Copenhagen you dock right in city center, no bus needed.

Stockholm, the bus provided was $4

Helsinki, same $4

Estonia , FREE...........

See you on board..........come on over and join our meet and mingle for this cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I came back from the Jewel just yesterday and there were shuttle buses for all the ports. However, the only time we did use one was for Helsinki as it would have been a trek to get into!!! It was funny seeing some people getting the shuttle bus into certain cities like Tallinn as it was just so close!!!

Hope you have a great time! We did!

• 3 weeks later...

woohoo21, when you got off the ship in Tallinn, can you tell me the walking route that you took to get you to the Viru gate? Are there signs posted all along the street? I am also planning to see this city on my own if it could be done. Thank you very much. :)

Guest LetMeGo

Here's a map of Tallinn... The cruise ships would be docking at the Reisisadam, and you can walk to the gate either through the old town (Vanalinn) or via the Mere Pulestee (the larger road in north-south direction).

Tallinn is a very easy city to see by yourself as the old and new towns are so close to each other... Just try to avoid the Finnish tourists in the bars. ;)

When you say Vanalinn, is it via Pohja Pst on towards Pikk, so Pikk is also an entrance to the town? Or do you go via Mere Pulestee and enter the town via Kanuti or the street that says Viru? Have you also visited Tallinn? Thank you very much. I really appreciate all the help. :)

Guest LetMeGo

I have indeed visited Tallinn some three or four times (I can't even remember :p ), as it's only 50 miles from Helsinki. I have to say I have never needed a map in navigating the central tourist areas, so this is kind of new to me as well. :D

If you want to enter the old town through the Viru gate, you would go along the Mere Pulestee and then turn to the Viru road which leads to the gate. If you want a more scenic walk, you can walk along the Põhja Pst and then turn to Suur Rannavärav which leads into the Pikk street. Then you can explore the old town, and exit via the gate. (I hope I remember this correctly, and don't cause any additional troubles... ;))

Here's a couple of links for the Tallinn tourism sites that can tell you lot more about the kinds of sites you can see in the city:

http://www.tourism.tallinn.ee/

http://wikitravel.org/en/Tallinn

In our way out of the port and at the gate there was a stand with maps and some flyers. We picked one, and just went with the flow of all people heading to the old town. Entering via the round tower was the closest point and you explore the city from top to bottom as you see on the map. Actually this is the route Põhja Pst and then Pikk street.

• 8 years later...
does RCI still have a shuttle and what is the charge?

Also, does anyone know where they dock in Helsinki.? Thx

When we cruised on RCI Jewel (more than likely will be the same for you). We docked at Hernesaari Ship Dock in the west harbor area.

They did offer a shuttle approx a 10 min ride to close to Market Square is where we were dropped off/picked up... $8.00pp roundtrip..this was provided (contracted by RCI) by I believe a local transportation company but all we needed to do as we boarded was show our SeaPass and it was charged to that. You will be given lots of info once onboard. Enjoy.