2 Galveston Hotels

2dogstn

When are you going in February? We're booked on the Conquest Feb. 4th. We booked the Tremont for the night before mainly because we can park all week at the Galvez for free while on the cruise.

We are on the Conquest next Feb. - will be in Galveston for 2 nights prior - would you choose the Holiday Inn on the Beach or the Harbor House?

all the time you are at sea. Some Galveston hotels/ motels do this and will take you to your ship on the hotel/ motel shuttle for free.

Since I live near-by, I don't have any personal experience with lodging in Galveston, but my vote would be for the Harbour House. The Tremont is also a great historical hotel (I do, as a matter of fact, have personal experience with that one!) and , like the Harbour House, is adjacent to the Strand, an old restored area with lots of interesting shops and good restaurants. The Galvez is also an old historical place and it is on the seawall. Remember that Galveston is a SMALL island and that nothing is very far from anything else. However, like most of this Houston-Galveston area, public transportation is virtually non-existant and you will need a car. By the way if you have a couple of days in the area, you might consider a visit to our area which is about 30 minutes north of Galveston and the location of NASA/Johnson Spacecraft Center where all the astronauts train.

We are going to Galveston in Jan and I am looking for a hotel for one night. I was thinking that we would just take a taxi the next morning (4 of us)to the pier, that way we decide when to leave, now I am wondering..are there taxis from the hotels to the pier?

We are really up in the air about where to stay, we were looking at the Best Western beachfront, it is inexpensive, close to the pier, and within walking distance for eating and the beach. Has anyone stayed here before?

Check out a Website called HotelSuperPortal for reviews. We booked the Super 8 for $52 a night (including free continental breakfast), with our AARP discount (one of the perks of turning 50!). We booked thru the Super 8 Website vs. thru Travelocity, etc., as they had the best discount. HotelSuperPortal had good reviews of Super 8. We didn't want to spend much $$ for one night there. Plus, they will let you park for free while you are on the cruise. I called there and talked with a lady who told me a lot of people do this and they have never had any problems with break-ins, etc. She said a taxi to the port costs around $10. Sure beats the $145 I was going to pay to stay in a B&B, which included parking in a lot the B&Bs contract with.

Good luck! :)

redfish~Thanks for the recommendation !! I LOVE seafood and coming from Nebraska I take any and all opportunities to have it!! I will have to check out the super 8. We are trying to decide if we want to use cruise transfers, that would mean staying in Houston and going back to airport and cost is $66 pp round-trip, or finding our own way to Galveston and the pier so we can stay in Galveston. Anyway, I am babbling and I just wanted to say thank you for hotel and restaurant idea!

xRAY: NOt sure about the nightlife around Super 8, but I do know it's pretty close to Gaido's!:) You can always check them out on the Internet (it's the Super 8 on 61st in Galveston proper, not the one in LaMarque) and see if they list what is close by. If not, give them a call and ask them what's within walking distance. The Strand in Galveston is a great place to kill time shopping, and there are plenty of places to have drinks and eat there. Not exactly sure how far that is from Super 8, but you can ask or find out on the Website. Galveston is an easy drive from Houston, especially if you're flying into Hobby Airport. From George Bush airport, it's a little farther. You could rent a car, but that is probably more than the $66 you'd pay for that shuttle you talked about. I think Gaido's has a website, if you want to check out the menu. You can just Google it.

Hope this helps!

Thanks redfish for the info. I will call the hotel and see what they say about nightlife. I am also going to check out renting a car, is is $66 pp and being there are 4 of us that adds up quickly. I was also looking at the Ramada Ltd, it is closer to the Strand, but the Super 8 looks a little better. Thanks again

We are cruising in Nov. and have booked a room directly through Wyndham reservations 1-888-999-3223 for the Harbor House Pier 21 Inn (AARP discount available Fri. & Sat. nights only) for $89/night for one night (2 night minimum not required contrary to what it says online). :) Cannot book online for this rate...must call Wyndham reservations...may take the rep some time to find the hotel in system as it is not even listed on their website. King or 2 Queens available for same price. Includes continental breakfast. Hotel is just a couple of blocks from the ship terminal. Cruise parking available for only $20 for the week. They do not provide a shuttle; however, you can take a cab to terminal or have 1 person drive to terminal, drop off baggage & other passengers, go back to hotel to park, and walk back to terminal...that close.

Nice hotel near the Strand district, restaurants and shopping. Sister hotel to the Galvez and Tremont.

View pics and info on their website at www.harborhousepier21.com

Great tip, cmk! Sounds like a nice hotel and a good deal. Walking around The Strand is always fun, and there are some good restaurants in that area as well. Noticed a good thread about Galveston restaurants in the Gulf Coast ports section of this board.

The Habor House is great. We stayed there in Feb,06 for one night before our cruise on the Grand. They will let you park your car there for the week. It is in a gated lot next to the hotel. They had great room and most faced the bay. It was really nice to wake up and see the Grand right there. We walked to the pier and back to our room before check out. I wanted to see everyone getting off. It was a easy walk with our suite cases. Took less the 5 mins.

Jo Ann

Thanks for the info on calling Wyndham direct, although the phone number is wrong it is 1-877-999-3223. I called them and the rate for Jan is $175 per night and there was not a 2 night min stay. Parking is $10 per day when you are not on the cruise. This rate was for 4 people 2 Queen beds and it is a harbor view. I went ahead and held the room, part of me thinks it would be amazing to wake up and have the ship right there, and being close to the strand would also be great, but we can go on the seawall and pay $100 less at the super 8. That is close to the beach and some restaurants but the hotel is obviously not as nice. Is the Harbor House really a "nice" hotel or is the location you are paying for?:confused:

xrayvin:

Call up Wyndham again and ask if they're still doing the 50/50 weekend specials. If you qualify for it, it'll get you your 2nd night free or 1 night at 50% off. We did this for our upcoming stay in September.

Thanks for the tip on calling Wyndham and getting the AARP rate. We also booked for our October cruise at $89 per night plus $10 parking. However, Wyndham reservations called the hotel because they were a bit confused on my question about cruise parking. They said I would be given a voucher to go park at the Galvez? I know that is another Wyndham property, but I was definitely under the impression that only the Tremont sent you to the Galvez to park. I see many others saying they parked right at the Harbour House.

I think I will call the hotel direct tomorrow and confirm the parking arrangements.

Cindi

davidbz~ I will call Wyndham back and see what they say about that 50/50 deal. That would be amazing if they are still doing it, but I have a feeling Jan is peak season and deals like that are few and far between. The more I am thinking about it the more I am thinking that Super 8 is going to be our way. I would LOVE to have the experience of the harbor and the ship righ there but really it is not worth an extra $100. I just need to make sure we are within walking distance to places at the Super 8Thanks again everyone for your help!

When we stayed there in Feb we never got back in the truck till after the cruise. There is a joe crab shack next door and a few other places ya can walk to. It really is great to see the ship in the morning. It is only a block from the stand. Here is a great map with some nice things on it.

http://www.galvestonfunmap.com/

on bottom is view map.

Jo Ann

I vote Harbor House as well. We stayed there December 2004 before getting on the Grand. We were able to pull our luggage to the pier. We also had a room facing the bay and watched the Grand dock. I opened my window to take photos.

The Strand district is just a few blocks over and was fun to walk.

I'd stay at Harbor House again (although their continental bfast wasn't very good!)

I've stayed at the Harbor House three times. It's a nice hotel, very clean, and very close to the pier. You can see your ship from most rooms on the west side of the hotel (about 40% of the total rooms). My first stay in 2002 the continental breakfast was wonderful with fresh squeezed OJ and what appeared to be homemade muffins and other pastries. My last stay in January 2006, breakfast was the cellophane wrapped pastries you can buy at your local warehouse club and watery orange colored liquid.

The prices for the Harbor House have gone up significantly from my other three stays. For December 2006, I was quoted $105 for one person plus $10 parking for the night before the cruise and $20 for parking while you are on the cruise. For the same price ($135), I decided to splurge and stay at the San Luis Resort. Balcony facing the Gulf, free parking, and free shuttle to and from the pier.

Archived