Just Back from Rhapsody!

My family and I just returned today from the July23 sailing of the Rhapsody. We are Diamond C & A members and my comments are written from the perspective of a frequent RCCL cruiser. The food was very good, entertainment as good as any RCCL ship we have been on. That's the positive! The negative, the service was WAY below par. We had the definite feeling that the ship was understaffed in just about every area; from cleaning the restrooms to service in the bars to service in the dining room. Maybe a cost cutting stragedy by RCCL. The ship is looking a bit worn, again not up to RCCL standards. Had a great time on the beaches of Cayman and Cozumel -- didn't get off the ship in Jamaica! Any questions?

Royal Palms in Cayman -- very close to pier -- all the facilities and Paradise in Cozumel -- again close to pier and the service was great! Water and beaches were beautiful in both locations! It was very hot! But that's just summer in Carribean!

Sometimes it depends on where you sit in the dinning room. We were on Rhapsody the week before you. We are also Diamond members. The service at our table in the dinning room was the best we've had in many cruises, not just on RCI but also several other lines we've sailed on in the past few years. Service in the Windjammer was generally pretty good with the exception of the first morning for breakfast. Otherwise it was terrific, perhaps due to the fact that our assistant waiter worked breakfast in the Windjammer and did everything he could for us whenever our paths crossed. I didn't think the Rhapsody looked more tattered than any other ship between refurbishments.

Sometimes it depends on where you sit in the dinning room. We were on Rhapsody the week before you. We are also Diamond members. The service at our table in the dinning room was the best we've had in many cruises, not just on RCI but also several other lines we've sailed on in the past few years. Service in the Windjammer was generally pretty good with the exception of the first morning for breakfast. Otherwise it was terrific, perhaps due to the fact that our assistant waiter worked breakfast in the Windjammer and did everything he could for us whenever our paths crossed. I didn't think the Rhapsody looked more tattered than any other ship between refurbishments.

Sorry, I missed the "didn't think" part of your comment too, I was just thinking "two people that said it was tattered"

We also just returned from July 23rd sailing and thought it was our best cruise ever (2nd time on Rhapsody, 5th cruise). The food in the dining room was the best we've ever had and I take back any past complaints I've made about cruise food looking better than it tastes. I thought our dining room service was excellent--some breakfasts, lunches, and dinner every night. I did not notice any actual lack of services but did not see the typical level of constant cleaning going on that we have observed in the past. I never even met our cabin steward but he kept our room spotless. I agree the ship is looking a little worn but understand it is being redone the first of the year (I just hope they don't redo any of the beautiful sculptures and glass pieces of art). The one thing I noticed that I have not observed in the past was a great deal of vibration. The seas were fairly calm but it seemed like the ship constantly vibrated and wondered if this will also be fixed during dry-docking? My favorite part of the Rhapsody is all of the open space and this has not changed. There are always places where you can go that are away from the crowds.

Our family was also on the July 23rd sailing and I think the service probably depends on where you were. We had EXELLENT service in the dining room. We were a family of 10 (four children) and our waiter had our names memorized the second night when we came in for dinner. She brought the kids special fruit bowls for an appetizer and always cut their steak. She checked on the kids and adults constantly to make sure we liked what we ordered and if not, brought something else. My mom wasn't feeling well one night and she even brought some herbal tea for her and sent a plate of rolls with her to the room. When she saw us in the Windjammer for breakfast she would come check on us even if we weren't in her area.

Our cabin steward was also wonderful. He also said hi to us when we passed him in the hall, always made sure we had ice in the ice bucket (and we didn't even request this) and make the kids wonderful towel animals.

My parents have been on several cruises, but this was their first Royal Caribbean. They said that the dining service and room steward service were by far the best of any cruise they have been on.

We were on the Rhapsody in April and I, too, noticed that the public restrooms weren't kept up very well. We had no issues with service, but also didn't get that "friendliest crew on the seas" feeling. We thought the food was good.

There is a "secret balcony" on the Rhapsody just behind the cafe in the solarium. It's a walkthrough to get to the climbing wall. There were loungers there and it was shaded and just a great place for a quiet read anytime of the day.

My DH and I were originally supposed to sail on AOS 9/17 but we were really pleased with Rhapsody last year (9/11) that we decided to stay with a good thing. We love the relaxed atmosphere, it wasn't as crowed as the larger ships which means lines were not long at the Windjammer. We can't wait!!! I'm so excited I can barely stand it. We would be happy just sailing Rhapsody.:D

The last two times we sailed out of Galveston/Houston, both many years ago, we were on NCL and Carnival. The ships were in awful shape. It made me sad to see ships that still, to my eyes, had a lot of life left in them suffer from real neglect. I swore I would never cruise out of Texas again because I was convinced that the cruise lines send their "grandma" ships to Texas so that they can get a few more years out of them before getting rid of them.

Having said all that, guess what? We're now booked on the Rhapsody in October with old friends, first-time cruisers to whom we've extolled the wonders of the cruise experience. We've been on at least 4 RCCL cruises and always loved everything about them (but they were out of Florida) so I felt confident booking RCCL. Am I going to find this ship in sorry shape? How bad is the wear and tear? Will our first-time cruise friends think we're nuts? Thanks for any info you can share.

Clueless! Your friends will not think you are nuts! I am sure that the cruise experience for first time cruisers would be considered great. (And there were A LOT of first timers on the 7-23 sailing.) I wrote my original comments based on MANY RCCl cruises dating back to 1980. The Rhapsody, while still a nice ship, does not compare favorably to the newer Voyager and Radiance class ships. There are areas for example, the furniture in the Viking Crown, that are way past their prime. There are areas throughout the ship that needed re-varnishing a long time ago. The ship has more vibration than any RCCL ship we have ever been on. Bottomline -- it's ready for dry dock. Having said that it is still a great vacation and you will have a wonderful time. The food and entertainment were outstanding. Have fun!

I was on Rhapsody on June 18th sailing and had a great time. I will be on her again Sept. 3rd for the 3rd time. She is not a newer ship but she is a great ship. In June I went with 15 other family members all of which were new to cruising and they all had a fabulous time.

The last two times we sailed out of Galveston/Houston, both many years ago, we were on NCL and Carnival. The ships were in awful shape. It made me sad to see ships that still, to my eyes, had a lot of life left in them suffer from real neglect. I swore I would never cruise out of Texas again because I was convinced that the cruise lines send their "grandma" ships to Texas so that they can get a few more years out of them before getting rid of them.

Having said all that, guess what? We're now booked on the Rhapsody in October with old friends, first-time cruisers to whom we've extolled the wonders of the cruise experience. We've been on at least 4 RCCL cruises and always loved everything about them (but they were out of Florida) so I felt confident booking RCCL. Am I going to find this ship in sorry shape? How bad is the wear and tear? Will our first-time cruise friends think we're nuts? Thanks for any info you can share.

Which sailing? We are on the Oct 8 sailing. For your first time cruiser friends I think the ship will be fine. We first sailed on the Rhapsody in 2004. I had just gotten off the Mariner of the Seas a few weeks before our Rhapsody sailing. I was very underwhelmed by the ship(Rhapsody). We have also cruised on the Enchantment, and Majesty. You may be underwhelmed but just don't share it with your friends :). Yes, we are booked again for various reasons, which don't matter, but I am sure it will be a wonderful cruise. I think regardless of the ship, you will have a wonderful time. We cruised with dear friends in December(Zuiderdam), and it ranks among the top 2 of our cruises, and they were a large part of the reason(although, I do love HAL). You will have a wonderful time with your friends.

Marie

I'm not sure what areas of wear and tear some have noted on Rhapsody, but on our recent cruise on that ship I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary for a ship between refurbishments. As far as newer ships being in better shape all I can say is perhaps they are for a year or so but then they are no better off than the older ships. It doesn't take long for the fabric on chairs, rugs, bedspreads, etc. to show wear with the constant use by thousands of passengers. It should also be noted that a dry docking does not necessarily mean that these items will be part of the refurbishment. On our recent cruise the captain on the Rhapsody, in answer to a question about how often public areas are refurbished, said these items are usually updated "while in service". That translates to being done when needed without taking the ship out of service. I've experienced this, on Splendour of the Seas last November on a transatlantic cruise. All the cabins on our deck had new carpeting, furniture reupolstered, new bed spreads, and curtains installed during the cruise. Contractors were aboard and used the conference center as their work area. It wasn't an ideal situation but they did a remarkable job of working around our schedule.

I am also cruising on Rhapsody on Sept. 3rd. I was wondering if you got seasick at all? This will be my first cruise along with 9 other friends and I would hate to get sick. I looked at some armbands the other day at Walgreens. They state that they are the best. I also have some Dramamine but it says on the bottle not to use alcohol with them, and we are definitely planning on doing some partying, so what are your thoughts? We are on the 8th floor mid-ship.

I am also cruising on Rhapsody on Sept. 3rd. I was wondering if you got seasick at all? This will be my first cruise along with 9 other friends and I would hate to get sick. I looked at some armbands the other day at Walgreens. They state that they are the best. I also have some Dramamine but it says on the bottle not to use alcohol with them, and we are definitely planning on doing some partying, so what are your thoughts? We are on the 8th floor mid-ship.

Come join our roll call for the Sept 3rd cruise here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=264784&page=42

We have a great group and would love to chat with you before the cruise.

I always bring Bonine (Walmart) but have never been seasick. Better safe than sorry, though! I'm sure someone on the boards can tell you if the arm bands work or not. I've sailed from Galveston twice and once it was a little bumpy crossing the Gulf but nothing that made anyone sick.

Archived