Beaches Resort (turks) vs RCCL?

skyw

OK.... I am looking at going to Beaches resort in the Turks and Caicos. But I am not sure. Out last AI was in Mexico and I didn't care for the food. Sooooo those of you that have been to both, How is Beaches food compared to Royal Caribbean's food?

Thanks

Haven't been on RCCL yet (going in November) but did Beaches in Turks in December. The food was okay... Disney cruise was 100% better than Beaches, and Windstar cruise was 200% better. The adult restaurants at Beaches were pretty good. We ended up eating there 4 out of 6 times (keep in mind that you can get take-out if your kids won't do the kid's club... some of our friends did that). The family restaurants were pretty bad (in our opinion). We expect that we should have gotten 5 star dining (even in the family restaurants) since we were paying more than we did on our Disney cruise. But, the resort is beautiful! But... there were probably 200 2-year olds! It drove us nuts! Our kids were 7 and 8 at the time, and they were almost too old for that resort.

I am sure you will enjoy whatever you do (because we actually enjoyed Beaches, but would never go again).

Skyw, I agree with Nedleycan about the food and the number of kids at Beaches Turks & Caicos. The one adult restaurant (reservations required) had the best menu, and was the only place to eat free of the sound of whining or crying babies. They were everywhere. Food at the family restaurants was pretty bad IMO, and not even comparable to RCCL's food. On the other hand, the side of Provo island the resort is on has one of the prettiest beaches I've ever seen -- very powdery white sand and clear, clear water. We'd like to visit T&C again, but will probably not stay at Beaches.

Trixie54, our visit was in early April. The weather then was Caribbean perfect, sunny, mid-80's, and no unusual wind. Have fun whatever you decide.

OK.... I am looking at going to Beaches resort in the Turks and Caicos. But I am not sure. Out last AI was in Mexico and I didn't care for the food. Sooooo those of you that have been to both, How is Beaches food compared to Royal Caribbean's food?

Thanks

It's been about 2 years since we were at Beaches Turks & Caicos. We just LOVED it. We've been to several AI's in Mexico and Jamaica (Beaches Grande Sport). We found the food to be comparable to RCCL's and of course, there's the added benefit of premium drinks included too. I agree with your opinion of the food in Mexico. It did not compare at all to RCCL's. We enjoy cruising very much (we're Platinum RCCL) but I still would love to go back to T&C again. The only thing that is stopping us is the cost. We can get 2 cruises in for the same price as a week at T&C even using our Beaches/Sandals points for a discount.

Since we were there, it looks as though they cater to families with young children. Are you bringing children with you?

We have been to Beaches Turks and caicos twice and my DW has a two weeks girls excursion set up for this fall.

The food is comparable to any mass market cruise line except that there is a much greater variety and selection for all meals at beaches. This resort is divided into a number of sections. The newer pool tends to be full of children but there is one pool where children are few and far between.

It is a great value. All liquor is included along with all diving and snorkel trips, not to mention all non motorized water sports.

This is truly an all inclusive and well worth the costs. The only reason I would select a cruise over this is to get a little variety in the ports visited.

We went to Beaches T & C and my kids loved it. The food is comparable to that of cruising. I have never been overly impressed by either unless you go to the specialty restaurants on the cruise or the adults only on land. That being said, I think it works out about the same. My kids are now 13 and 16 and we've alternated cruising and beach vacations for the last 5 years and they long for both at different times. We just came back from Beaches Negril and I don't think that really compares to T & C, but it was nice. It was smaller with less variety overall, so you might not be pleased with the lack of choices, including restaurants and pools.

I don't understand how people compare costs and say it is so much cheaper to cruise. Once you add up everything you spend on a cruise, I think it adds up to being quite comparable. To have all water sports, meals, alcohol, etc. included is a wonderful thing. Once I book excursions and pay my seapass account, it really does add up. Plus, I have to watch the kids longingly looking at certain things that are included in the AI's, but I won't pay crazy prices for on the cruises. I just explain to them that it's a different type of vacation and it won't be happening on a cruise. On the other hand, when you're at an AI, you simply don't have the money money-costing options staring at you. You get what you get and there are no options such as evening entertainment (almost non-existent at beach resorts), gambling (at Beaches anyway), shopping (there's only the gift shop).

Either way, my family would never eliminate either option. As far as T & C goes, it's a beautiful location and comparable in what it offers.

Donna

I think we are going to try Beaches (t and C)!!! Thanks for the replies. I love cruising but with DH schedule....that doesn't seem to work out for us this year.

I hope you enjoy it. As I mentioned, the food in the adult restaurants is pretty good, so if you are able to put the kids into the kid's club (our kids loved it and went every night) then I would book the adult restaurants (there are 2) every night... you can cancel without a fee. If you can't put the kids in the club, then just show up at the restaurant and ask for take-out. Then take the food to the French Village patio tables and eat it there. Your kids will love the food too.

You should also do the Teppanyaki grill with the kids. Again, the food is only okay (I love Teppanyaki, and this is probably one of the worst I have had) but it is so much fun, that you can get past the food fairly easily.

Also, the "a la carte" breakfast restaurant (the seafood place) is so much quieter than the buffets. There were kids everywhere at the buffet. And at the seafood restaurant, you can sit outside to have breakfast, which is really nice!

How old are your kids?

Schooners is the name of the seafood restaurant and it is open some days for breakfast and most nights for dinner and it's pretty good. It is not an adults only restaurant, but they will seat you separate from your kids if you like, which is great for teens that want to feel like they are on their own.

Archived