Naples, Capri and Sorrento

Hi I would like to have the opinion of experienced travellers about my day in Naples.

Our ship will be docked in Naples from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM. We have decided not to go to Pompei.

We are planning on taking the ferry or hydrofoil to Marina Grande, try to see the Blue Grotto if we can. From there, take the bus to Capri or Anacapri and spend a few hours there.

Arround 3:00, take the ferry to Sorrento and at 5:00, catch the train back to Naples. Our other option is go back to Naples at 3:00 and skip Sorrento.

My questions are: should we go to Capri or Anacapri ? and should we go to Sorrento or Naples ? Also do we get to see the coast if we take the train.

Any comments and/or suggestions is welcome. Thank you.

You need to look at the hydrofoil schedules to Capri from Naples because I don't think they run every hour but more like every hour and a half. And, the hydrofoil ride itself takes 45 minutes each way to Capri. If you want to do the Blue Grotto, that will take about 2 hours (if they're running the boats out there AND if the water is not too choppy to get into the cave). I think that trying to catch a hydrofoil to Capri (45 minutes) than another to Sorrento (45 minutes?) and then another back to Naples (30 minutes?) will be too much for one day. I think that you could spend and enjoy the whole day either at Capri or Sorrento and my vote is for Capri. I've heard that the the hydrofoils run fairly frequently to Capri but not so much to Sorrento.

Whatever you decide, figure out the hydrofoil schedule ahead of time - you don't want to lose hours waiting for boats.

Our original intention was exactly the same as yours. Naples to Capri to Sorrento and then either hydrofoil or train back. Now you're there until 8:00pm I think we left earlier than that and didn't really want to chance missing the ship so we ended up having a leisurely day on Capri which I really enjoyed.

Thanks lucyjohnz and cruise junky for your reply and suggestions. If I understand well, cruise junky, you took the ferry from Naples to Capri, and spent the whole day in capri. Did you take the ferry or the train back to Naples. I think we will do only one also. We would like to do as much as we can, but there is so much one can do in one day. Any other comment will be appreciated.

Janobu,

You cannot get to from Capri to Naples on the train. Capri is an island. Therefore, you must take the hydrofoil or ferry back to Naples. The hydrofoil takes about 45 minutes whereas the ferryboat will take about 1 1/2 hours.

We were just in Sorrento & Capri. The hydrofoil from Sorrento to Capri takes about 25 minutes. The trip to Naples is longer. Once docked in Capri, the boats to the Blue Grotto are immediately to the right. Anacapri can be reached via the Fanicula. Expect it to be crowded and give yourself some extra time.

Thanks lucyjohnz and cruise junky for your reply and suggestions. If I understand well, cruise junky, you took the ferry from Naples to Capri, and spent the whole day in capri. Did you take the ferry or the train back to Naples. I think we will do only one also. We would like to do as much as we can, but there is so much one can do in one day. Any other comment will be appreciated.

We did the ferry back to Naples, we didn't end up going to Sorrento. Which is where you could get the train back to Naples.

Archived