Swimming for Kids under 3

We are leaving on Friday (the 4th) on the Grandeur of the Seas for a 9 day cruise. We have 4 kids with us and one is 20 months old. She loves to swim in the pool, however we just found out that kids under 3 cannot swim in any of the pools. Does anyone know anything about this? She would swim with a swim diaper and she only stays in for 10-15 minutes.

Thanks,

Shelly

We are leaving on Friday (the 4th) on the Grandeur of the Seas for a 9 day cruise. We have 4 kids with us and one is 20 months old. She loves to swim in the pool, however we just found out that kids under 3 cannot swim in any of the pools. Does anyone know anything about this? She would swim with a swim diaper and she only stays in for 10-15 minutes.

Thanks,

Shelly

Unfortunately, swim diapers are prohibited in all pools and hot tubs.

From RCCL web site -

"Guest Vacation Policy ...Young children in diapers/pull ups/swimmers may not use the pools/Whirlpools, even if accompanied by a parent/guardian..."

The reason behind this is that they will have to drain the pool and clean it in the event the child has an accident or that diaper leaks.

That is ridiculous. Don't they realize how many people pee in the pool and don't have a swim diaper on!! My daughter is going to be very unhappy watching her older brothers and sister swimming and she can't. They should at least have a kiddie pool.

That is ridiculous. Don't they realize how many people pee in the pool and don't have a swim diaper on!! My daughter is going to be very unhappy watching her older brothers and sister swimming and she can't. They should at least have a kiddie pool.

Peeing in the pool is one thing, the release of fecal matter is another....

The rule is in place to protect the health of all of the passengers.

Yes, sorry. It's a topic discussed here all of the time. On cruiseships there is no chlorine in the pool. So the CDC has said no toddlers/infants who are not potty trained in the pools. It's a rule observed by ALL cruiseships. The only cruise line that offers an infant water play area is Disney Cruise Line. And that area is just a few sprinkles of water that drains completly away and is washed.

It may be ridiculous and you are right, but these are the health rules used by all cruise lines. Some say, under 3, others say completely potty trained. In this case neither would be true. What some have suggested is: bring along a little plastic blow up pool and the crew will fill it for you. I know it isn't the best solution, but it is better than none. NMNita

Did you hear about the outbreak of Norovirus on the Mariner last week? This virus is spread through fecal matter, and swim diapers do leak on occasion. It's a huge public health issue, not just a ridiculous rule designed to make you and your child unhappy.

You see it as ridiculous others don't. In any community there are going to be rules that don't suit everyone and that some don't understand the need for. Rules are for the general well being on the community not to keep every induvidual happy. I happen to feel this is an excellent rule. It helps to ensure a safe pool for the other 2000+ people who might like to use it and don't want to go up to the pool deck only to find it being drained and scrubbed because of an accident. Either way you seem to have two options. The first is to not let your daughter see her siblings in the pool. The second is to have an unhappy daughter.

Stocruise -

I see you are a new poster - welcome, and I hope you find a community here you like. Please take a moment to read the guidelines - I'm sure you will find them helpful (actually, I just went back to reread a few myself!). I bring them up because of this one:

Please Browse BEFORE You Post

Browse a topic first to see if your question has already been asked or answered by someone else. Also, many of the major cruise lines forums have a FAQ (Frequently Asked Question) topic that has been created by our members. Give that a try first. Browsing is your #1 best resource! Please post your messages in an appropriate topic so that you'll receive the best possible response. It is very time consuming to move misplaced messages that are in the wrong topics.

I believe the answers you received were appropriate; perhaps you can do a search and find more detail... Or consider visiting the cruising with family threads. As to an exact answer of your actual question

Does anyone know anything about this?

Why, yes, actually, everyone on this board knows about this.

Your travel agent knows about this.

Anyone who pays attention to health regulations knows this (the fact that pee is sterile, poop is not) and that swim diapers in pools leads to health risks . . . .

As to your comment -

My daughter is going to be very unhappy watching her older brothers and sister swimming and she can't.

You're right, she probably will be unhappy, so have them swim while the baby is sleeping or make sure your little one isn't in the pool area so she's not watching others swim while she can't.

My favorite pool sign:

I don't swim in your toilet, please don't pee in my pool . .

Archived