WOW! I have a lot of questions!!

kchesneylover

We are looking to relax on our day in St. Maarten the last week of october.

Please give me your comments:

Lord Sheffield - what do you think? I heard this was a very relaxing excursion. That is what I am looking for. Relaxation. Is the snorkeling good? What should I expect?

Orient Beach - What is so great about this beach? People just go on and on about it. Other than the fact its nude - why is it so "Rave" worthy?

Golden Eagle Catamaran - I am looking for good snorkeling - is this a good option?

3 Stop Snuba - Snorkel - Offered by Carnival - Anyone done this?

Shipwreck Cove and Beach Catamaran Snorkeling - Offered by Carnival - Anyone done this?

Pinel Island Snorkel - what gives?

And before you tell me/ask me, Yes, I have searched the forum. This was a last resort.

Thanks in advance!!!

The Golden Eagle Catamaran was one of the most enjoyable shore excursions I have ever been on. Due to rough seas, we couldn't go to the deserted island (in the Atlantic), but instead went to a snorkeling site and Mullet Bay Beach (in the Caribbean). We did enter the Atlantic for a few minutes and we were drenched within seconds. But, it was so hot, so who cares? If you don't mind getting wet, even in calm seas, sit in the netting at the bow of the boat. It's comfortable and enjoyable, plus it gives you a great view of where you are headed.

I can't say the snorkel site was swarming with marine life, but seeing the sunken submarine was great. Got some good pictures of it with an underwater camera.

The swimming was wonderful, the beach was beautiful, and the food they served was good, also. In addition, there was open bar the entire time with lots of soda, beer, and rum punch. They were constantly coming around offering you something to drink. On the way back to port, there were games and music.

We also didn't have to drive anywhere to get the boat. It was less than a two minute walk from the ship.

I don't think one person was upset that we couldn't go to the original destination. They took us to great alternate sites.

I would definitely want to go on the Golden Eagle again.:) :) :)

When we did the Golden Eagle, we went through Carnival and we met on the pier at 8:15, right when we docked. We were back at the pier by noon. That left us plenty time to change and catch a water taxi over to Phillipsburg to do some shopping. :)

I do believe that there is an afternoon excursion, as well, but it wasn't available when we bought our excursion online about two months before our cruise.

Shipwreck Cove and Beach Catamaran Snorkeling - Offered by Carnival - Anyone done this?

We did Shipwreck Cove on our last cruise and it was not good. The cove was WAY to choppy to do any good snorkeling. you could barely make out images of 'ships' (small boats, really) below you due to the very murky waters. it was definitely NOT calm waters. I dont know if it like that every day because of the location, or if we were just the lucky ones, but it was not worth our money.

Thank you for the reply! I have marked that one off our list of choices!

We did Shipwreck Cove on our last cruise and it was not good. The cove was WAY to choppy to do any good snorkeling. you could barely make out images of 'ships' (small boats, really) below you due to the very murky waters. it was definitely NOT calm waters. I dont know if it like that every day because of the location, or if we were just the lucky ones, but it was not worth our money.

Orient Beach - What is so great about this beach? People just go on and on about it. Other than the fact its nude - why is it so "Rave" worthy?

OK first in my opinion Orient Beach is not "great" but "very good". I reserve "great" for Grace Bay on Provo in the Turks and Caicos and Plage St Anne in Guadeloupe.

So - what makes it "very good".

Not the snorkeling - there is only a little snorkeling in front of Pedro's

So - what is "very good" - the ambiance - it's a lovely cross between European and Caribbean. The beach is long and lovely - long enought that even though it is a busy beach I have never felt overcrowded . The water is blue. The offshore islands are nice to look at. There are many restaurants and beach bars - most of which have a pleasant relaxing French feel to them.

The people watching is superb (and this has little if anything to do with the nude people). European families on vacation. Cruisers just off the ship. Vendors displaying their wares. The occasional naturist strolling by (there really are not a lot unless you go to the far south end of the beach where the naturist resort is located). Windsurfers doing spectacular stunts. Kids playing on the inflated water slide.

It is my favorite "busy" beach and normally I prefer quiet beaches. I think because it is long and spread out, I NEVER get that feeling you get on crowded beaches of too many people, too close together, and too much noise. I find a quiet spot, grab a beach lounger, read my book and relax, look up to watch a really good wind surfer, get an icy drink, amble into the water for a refreshing swim. My husband loves walking the entire length of the beach, stopping along the way to cool off in the lovely water. For me Orient Beach is a very good place to relax and watch the world go by.

Pineal Island is nice if youre there for extended stay but not really worth it when youre on cruise. Love Orient Beach. IN fact after 2 cruises we decided to stay there this year. Best vacation yet. Large white beach with numerous bars and restaurants as well as jet skis, banana boats etc for rent. Check out the prices before you park youself though. The cost of chair/umberella rentals as well as food and drink do vary from one place to another

OK first in my opinion Orient Beach is not "great" but "very good"....

Zeno - That's a nice perspective on Orient. You left out a couple of features of Orient.

* Sand texture - very fine and soft.

* Music - Usually there are 3 or so places with live reggae music. Other places have great CD sounds.

* Life stories - The beach vendors are not just strolling peddlers, but rather real humans each with an interesting story. Without even buying anything it's fascinating to just chat and learn about their views and life story. When you look at what they're selling, most of it is of remarkable quality, especially jewelry which would go for a fancy price at upscale department stores.

It all adds to the ambiance.

* Music - Usually there are 3 or so places with live reggae music. Other places have great CD sounds.

Yo, what places have reggae or CD music kicking during the afternoon? We'll be at the beach maybe say between 1 to 4 pm during 1 day cruise stop. Would like to get loungers near music, maybe at Bikini Beach Bar?

cheers

mbr

The places with live music are:

* Pedro's

* Bikini Beach

* BooBoo Jams

Many other bars play CD music so you'll just have to walk along the beach and find one with music you like. If you're looking for "Big Band Sounds" you probably need to stay on the ship for that one.

Go Here for the list of all the Orient Beach Bars.

Archived