What happens if a hurricane is forecast for your sail date?

mypyr

Hi! I've been listening to all the talk about this tropical storm/hurricane and wonder what happens to your cruise if one hits? Do you get a refund if it's cancelled? Do they actually cancel the cruise or go anyway?

I feel so badly for those who are cruising this week; the news said that the cruise ships were forced to "turn around". What does that mean??

Does the travel insurance which I bought with the cruise through NCL help?

I am getting REALLY nervous!!

I would love to hear from anyone who's been through this! Thanks!

Cindy

The ship will usually sail elsewhere. A cruise ship last year on another cruise line, which I will leave unnamed, sailed to Canadian seas instead of to Bermuda to avoid a hurricane.

That's one of the major disadvantages for selecting to cruise during hurricane season. Any ship wishing to avoid a 'cane might even arrive or depart even the port of departure late. And cruise ships will always cruise around storms, which can mean missed ports. Also, cruise ships have been known to missed ports damaged by 'canes for weeks afterwards.

But the cruise will go on as long as it is possible for the ship to sail somewhere.

1) Why not go to http://www.ncl.com and look it up, or call your TA or call NCL?

2) Don't worry. They'll either sail somewhere else or absolutely worst case scenario refund your money.

That's one of the major disadvantages for selecting to cruise during hurricane season.
It's funny to read it put this way.... If you like the crystal waters of the Caribbean or SouthEast US and have to go on vacation during the summer, I see no disadvantage whatsoever, as far as I'm concerned this is the major advantage of cruising versus vacationing on an island. (not that the Outer Banks aren't nice - but if a hurricane comes you've just got to leave). On an island if a hurricane hits you're stuck. Since a cruise ship is an oceangoing vessel there are options, you'll still have a wonderful vacation. Maybe somewhere you weren't initially planning, but a wonderful vacation nonetheless with all the amenities of the floating resort you've chosen.

About the only time they cancel postpone whatever is if the hurricane is due to effect the embarkation port. The captain can steer around storms, go to other ports, or spend an extra day at sea. On rare occassions as someone said they will totally go in the opposite directiion but this is rare. Remember most storms don't really even develop into anything that will ruin a cruise. Chirs, according to the weather this morning appears to be petering out. Let's hope that is the case. As we all know if you choose to cruise from early August to late Oct you stand a chance of having a hurricane affect your travel. This is true as early as June 1st or as late as Nov 30th, but very unlikely. NMNita

You will sail no matter what. The ship will steer clear of the storm and you will still have fun on your cruise even if you miss scheduled ports. The best tip is not to worry, go with an open mind and have a good time no matter what happens.

;) that's my philosophy also !!!! I am happy as a clam to just be on the ship and just go,lol !!!

Archived