QE 2 2008 World Cruise

maxor6

The average age on a QE2 world cruise is quite high, probably 65 and older. Not many younger people can afford to take off that many days. I've been on four world cruises on Crystal (not the entire WC's but segments) and the average age for the solo cruiser was at least 70. I was in my late 40's at the time, and I was by far the youngest person on board. But it was still great fun as I really like talking to the older passengers and hearing all their traveling experiences.

I'm sure a world cruise is perfect for a solo-traveller. I think most full world cruise passengers tend to make friends with each others.

WOW, I wish I could afford that. I wouldn't worry about being the younger one, I would just love to hear other travellers stories and discovering the world and its seas!!!!!!!

I'm sure a world cruise is perfect for a solo-traveller. I think most full world cruise passengers tend to make friends with each others.

WOW, I wish I could afford that. I wouldn't worry about being the younger one, I would just love to hear other travellers stories and discovering the world and its seas!!!!!!!

It's funny, but I was checking prices on HAL's World Cruise and found them to actually be quite reasonable. I think for an inside cabin, with single supplement, it was something like $18,000 - $19,000. True, that's a lot of money ... no question ... but when you consider the number of cruising days you are getting, it really works out to a very reasonable per diem.

The problem with a World Cruise, though, is the number of days. Anyone who is still working is gonna have a problem getting that amount of time off ... no matter how understanding the employer. In my case, the only way I could ever do it would be to take a leave of absence ... without pay. Now the cost of my cruise has gone way up ... to the point where I can no longer afford it.

Longer cruises will alway have a very high average passenger age ... because those are precisely the folks who have the time for extended voyages. I think I heard that the average passenger age on my January cruise on the ms. Amsterdam was something like 78. And, that was only a 30-day Hawaii/South Pacific itinerary. Those older folks are a joy to get to know ... since they are the ones who have the best stories to tell ... from all the traveling they've had the opportunity to do in their lifetimes. So, a higher average passenger age doesn't put me off in the slightest.

If you have the opportunity to take a World Cruise, you should jump on it. For me, I have about 15 or so years left to wait ... but once that time comes, I'll be there. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

• 2 months later...
Planning to do solo. Don't know how difficult it will be to do so on the QE 2. Any advice would be welcomed.:)

I, too, will on QE2 Jan 2008 - April 2008 from NYC to NYC -- ninety days. What a thrill to contemplate as it is my first Cunard voyage. First on SS France in 1969. Now retired Professor of English. Born also in 1939. I am not thinking of difficulty! Just relax. Enjoy meeting new people. Enjoy the leisure time watching others! I am booked for an M1 Inside Mauratania on Deck 2. I do hope it will allow me to turn around! Do hope that we shall be able to meet during the voyage.

Planning to do solo. Don't know how difficult it will be to do so on the QE 2. Any advice would be welcomed.:)

I travelled Solo on QE2 this year, and I am already booked for next year.

There are a lot of solos on QE2 (I go cos the price is better than others) due to the number of single cabins.

On the cruise I was on, each sea day, they had a singles get together - the first was in the yacht club and you got a free 'fizzy wine', and the others were in the Lido and coffee was supplied. I have to admit I only went to two (too busy sunning myself & talking to people on the promenade deck) - the first and a coffee meeting - there were different people at each. The gentlemen hosts also attend, so if you are into dancing you can meet them in advance (in fact the first meet was just before the dance lesson, a lot of us we persuaded to go by the dance hosts - I only went to the one - I found I had 2 left feet:D ) - You also get to meet some of the crew who you will see around the ship all the time.

The Captains Cocktail party was a bit daunting as I went in alone (and as I didn't care about the photo with the captain, I was among the first to arrive 'through the back door' ) - but a family, seeing I was alone soon invited me to join them.

In fact, I found I got to meet so many people I started to worry about 'insulting' some of them by not saying hello later simply because I didn't remember meeting them (I am not very good at faces (or names) when I am nervous!:o )

I got placed at a nice table for 6 (they don;t seem to have many tables for 8 in Mauritania) and my table mates were very friendly.

I am sure you have visited the cunard board, but there is a thread or two there about cabin sizes (plus you can get them from Cunards online booking system (though I guess you would have to look at a different cruise as your room won't be available to book!!:) ) - some one has even posted the original deck plans which show the (original?) furniture orientation!.

Have a good cruise

Karen

• 1 month later...

Going on your own is great. I've been doing it since the age of 21 and am now 55. Ships are a fantastic place to meet people of all ages, especially on a Transatlanic; yet, you can be as alone as you want, when you need to be. I've always dined at a table with 6-8 people and had a great time; however, I wouldn't hesitate to request a table for one, if I felt like it, especially in this era of open seating dining. (I didn't perceive tables for one as being a normally available thing back in the 70s). On my land based trips, I always seek out very fine restaurants, and have felt that some of the best service I ever received was when I was alone. I'll be going EB on the QM2 in April and am counting the days. I envy you going around the world on a Cunard Line ship. You'll have a terrific time!

I don't know specifically about the QE2, but any long cruise will have lots of singles and solos just like yourself. I think we had about 100 of them on HAL's 30-day Hawaii/South Pacific voyage this past January.

Of course, the average age of your fellow passengers will be much higher, simply because it is the older folks who have the time and money for such a long voyage. But just because the passengers are older doesn't necessarily mean they are decrepid. Many of those older folks are in great shape, love to travel, have great stories to tell, and are just a joy to be around.

A long voyage allows you ample time to get to know your fellow cruisers and you'll meet some really neat people of both sexes. You'll meet the folks you dine with on each segment, of course, and then you'll meet others at various activities. You'll do some shore excursions with people from the ship and meet them that way, and you'll meet people who share your interests at the various lectures and demonstrations they have on the ship. Chances are the cruise director's staff will even hold special events for the singles and solos ... probably on just about every sea day. These will include such things as tea-time get-togethers, ice cream parties, a group lunch, etc.

It's the shorty cruises where it's hard for a single passenger to meet others, because people taking those cruises tend to be younger and traveling with friends or family members. They are not too anxious to meet others onboard, and thus wouldn't encourage conversations and whatnot with strangers. But the long cruises are like heaven ... and perfectly suited to the single or solo traveler.

Go and enjoy! To be frank with you, I'm jealous. I only wish I could do a world voyage at this point in my life ... but sadly, I've got a ways to go before such a thing would be possible for me.

Blue skies ...

--rita

• 3 weeks later...

I have been looking at world cruises and have looked at the QM2 and will be curious as to how your voyage goes. I too am single and was considering an inside cabin, although in prior cruises I have been in balconey cabins. I believe in looking at her deck plans there was one inside room in the M1 category that was a bit larger and had a bathtub. I don't have the brochure here at work to mention the cabin number. I was going to contact Cunard to see if I was right.

Valerie

Archived