Alaskan Railroad Question

charliem

We are on a train from ANC to Seward that leaves later in the morning. We have it booked though RCC. I was under the impression that this later train is one that has to be booked through the cruiseline itself, but I could be wrong.

We are on this later train and I know that several others on these board that are on our same cruise are taking the earlier train.

I have also been told that it is somewhat cheaper taking the earlier train rather than the later one booked with the cruiseline. We would rather not have to get that early, make the drive from Wasilla to ANC to be on the train that early!

It was a personal choice that we made to take the later train - we just wont get to Seward as early as everyone else, but we dont' mind.

Yes there is a cruise contracted train, about $40 more per person. I do not recommend this train unless you are only looking for transportation and have no desire to take advantage of the excellent touring opportunities. The cruise contracted train allows for no time for Anchorage or Seward touring. It takes up your mid day.

I will still always recommend the regular run of the Alaska RR, touring opportunities in Seward are just excellent, of the highest quality and essentially "do not miss". Determine why you are going to Alaska? :)

And make the choices for your touring style. Just do your homework and decide.

We are on a train from ANC to Seward that leaves later in the morning. We have it booked though RCC. I was under the impression that this later train is one that has to be booked through the cruiseline itself, but I could be wrong.

That train does not appear in ARR's public timetable, and ARR does NOT sell tickets for it, only their own (the early one at 6:30). It is purely a cruise charter, and you have to buy tickets for it for from the cruise line. Our docs say we must be checked in at the airport at 11 am, so I guess it leaves between 11 am and noon. It leaves from Anchorage Airport itself, not the ARR depot downtown.

The ARR train is indeed cheaper, $62 against $98 for the cruise charter from RCC.

Despite that, we are on the cruise charter, too. 6:30 am is just too darned early. Plus we are returning a rental car to the airport, and this way we don't have to fool around getting back to the ARR depot downtown at the crack of dawn.

Yes there is a cruise contracted train, about $40 more per person. I do not recommend this train unless you are only looking for transportation and have no desire to take advantage of the excellent touring opportunities. The cruise contracted train allows for no time for Anchorage or Seward touring. It takes up your mid day.

I made the mistake of booking the train through RCC. I felt like we lost most of our day waiting , the train took us right to the ship so there was no time to explore Seward at all. :( I was after seven when we boarded

I also had the mistaken impression we would be on a RCC train car with the club seats and dining car.......Not from Anch.

I made the mistake of booking the train through RCC. I felt like we lost most of our day waiting , the train took us right to the ship so there was no time to explore Seward at all. :( I was after seven when we boarded

I also had the mistaken impression we would be on a RCC train car with the club seats and dining car.......Not from Anch.

Yes I do agree. For me Alaska is the place to enjoy and experience all I can. The train ride is beautiful and a "treat" but getting going early, just offers you far more if you wish.

Thanks to all for the reponse.......we will take the good advice and plan to catch the early train to Seward. Have been twice before - once by RCCL bus and once by car so this will be a "treat" as Budget Queen said.

Archived