Could we start a list of perks that were discontinued?

Carnival still has the soft serve ice cream and pizza anytime, I do miss the midnight buffets like they used to be but a cruise is a a cruise and there is always room service.

Had soft serve all day and as long as I could stay up at night on the Carnival Conquest last October.

Waiters are still good to remember that I want a double decaf espresso after dinner.................:)

Sitmar Cruises-- oh the service,

Head Waiters that remembered that you preferred Cesare Salad on your next cruise, the type of tea you preferred to drink, spoiled your children

The appetizers at the Returning Passenger parties are not as good as they were

Ah yes, Sitmar! One of my favorite cruise lines and the best pizza around! I sailed on the Fairsea, Fairwind and the Fairstar (out of Australia). You are so right about the appetizers - they are not as good - last cruise had cold food and nothing hot. Those sure were the good old days with great Italian service!

Laurie

• 2 weeks later...

I had a late friend who was a well know divorce lawyer, who many years ago used a ship's hand out passenger lists to prove a cheating husband was not in the Med on business every year for over a decade as he had been telling his poor wife. Monkey business maybe! She wasn't poor after that.

I remember the "make your own sundae" bar on HAL, early 1980's, that included bottles of premium liquor to be used for toppings. Free! I still have a few Delft plates that we received on HAL ships, too.

With the advent of e-tickets, receiving your docs in a portfolio is a thing of the past. However, I do have a nice green leather ticket holder from a recent Crystal cruise.

Yes, dining with officers is still common on many cruise lines. On Celebrity ships we are offered extended tours of the ship's kitchen and food prep areas.

Food was prepared table-side. Flambe desserts, fettucini alfredo, salads.

At the end of each cruise, your waiter would present the week's menus to you.

My parents cruised frequently in the 50's and 60's and have many pictures of all the passengers participating in costume parties. And on formal night, gentlemen were in dinner jackets/tux while ladies were in elegant gowns. In those days, the fashion police were Dior and Channel.

Darcy

I forgot about the pasta and flambe's being done table side! By that was always fun.

cruiserbryce,

I tend to disagree with you. For those of us who have been cruising for over 20 years, it is fun to remember how it was. Somewhere earlier in this thread, I also posted about the things we have gained that are available now that werent in the past. I think most of us realize we have to lose somethings to gain others.

• 3 weeks later...

A lot of the "missed" things from cruising are not negatives. It is just a reflection on what was, and what now is. Back in the day, cruising had a special aura to it, and was magical. Now cruising is more commonplace. There is more disposable income, and cruises cater to all walks of life. I've been cruising for 30 years...started when I was 23. I am enjoying this stroll down memory lane. Back in the late 70's there were great ocean liners out of NYC. Home Lines had a reputation for pampering their guests with an all Italian crew. You felt like a queen for the week. I have yet to experience that same feeling in the last 20 years. There were assigned deck chairs..no need to worry about chair hogs. They rotated your chairs to keep up with the sun's rays. You shared a deck steward on these sun decks, and they were at your beck and call...from drinks, to towels, to lotion. Their job was to keep you happy. On the older ships,everything was tastefully refined. Many specialty dinner items were prepared tableside. Attention was paid to the most minute details. Everyone cared and was eager to please. Perhaps because the ships were smaller then, not like these huge sailing vessels of today, personalized service was the norm. It was a whole different era. It is probably very difficult for people who did not cruise back then to understand these differences. They were good days and fond memories were made.

Being able to walk down multiple flights of stairs, outdoors, on the back of a ship to get to the promenade deck.

Exercise classes usually led by cruise staff or entertainers.

Ships without gyms.

Queens Lounge on HAL, complete with stage for orchestra.

Dutch hats on HAL for Dutch night.

Galley and Bridge tours. (never did get to do either)

Skeet shooting.

Passenger Talent shows (very different than American Idol style contests now), masquerades, scavenger hunts.

Thats all I can think of for now..

Laura

I think it is interesting to read the differences in cruises now versus ten, twenty, thirty or forty years ago (or more).

Since I was 4 on my first cruise I can recall some but not all things on it. Things have changed over time, some for better, some for worse, but one day people might be discussing how cruising changed from ultra luxury to activity based to who knows what.

It is a part of history and as history changes those who have not experienced it or wish to recall what they did experience should have the opportunity to. Therefore, I do not think this is a negative thread, but one with historical value.

Another thing I remember.. in 1984, NCL (Norwegian Caribbean Line)...Florence Henderson (Brady Bunch Mom) was an entertainer aboard, she helped Santa pass out gifts to all the children onboard...I received crayons and an SS Norway coloring book...........if only I still had that...:(

Laura

• 2 weeks later...

Sitmar was awesome. I think it was the time. Cruising, like flying, used to be more costly and less people did it. People dressed up, the crew knew your name the first day. The waiters kissed your cheek and/or hand every night. The number of guests was intimate, ah I could go on.

The people my parents met on that first cruise, remain friends to this day. They live in different parts of the country, but cards and notes are exchanged at least on holidays. That doesn't happen anymore either.

Hey, but now I can afford to go again and again!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this was thrown out there, but when I went to Bermuda on the Celebrity Horizon, we came back from a hot day out in Bermuda and the person I seen after coming back onboard handed me (and asking everybody else if they wanted) a small towel that was soked in ice or cold water.. I think it was to wipe your face or put on your neck..

I have been reading this thread with great interest. Thanks for bringing back so many fond memories. (And yes, Sitmar was the best cruise line! Was so sorry to see it go.)

I miss a lot of the things that others have mentioned, however, the cruise lines are just giving people what they want. How many threads get started here about ways to "stick it to the man", i.e. sneaking on booze, getting free upgrades, avoiding certain fees etc.? The masses seem to be saying that they are quite willing to give up an awful lot to keep the base prices low. It sucks, but its how it is.

While this may be true, it doesn't excuse the lack of service. If the pay-per-perk system makes up for the lost revenue of higher ticket prices, then the money would be there for the better service. Seems that the extra money doesn't go to service, but to profits. That is the shame of it.

What I think has happened to the service is in the beginning with smaller and fewer ships, the cruise lines could get the pick of the litter so to speak for the staff, now with more and larger cruise ships, the cruise lines can't be so selective, they have to have the staff.

I'm not sure if this was thrown out there, but when I went to Bermuda on the Celebrity Horizon, we came back from a hot day out in Bermuda and the person I seen after coming back onboard handed me (and asking everybody else if they wanted) a small towel that was soked in ice or cold water.. I think it was to wipe your face or put on your neck..

Does Celebrity still do that? They are the only cruise line that has done that for us.

:cool:

Discontinued freebies on cruise lines:

Refrigerated closets for the ladies' furs - About 1968.

Complimentary streamers to throw at sailaway - About 1970

Brass Band on embarkation day - About 1975.

Endless complimentary Beluga Caviar on embarkation day - 1988.

Midnight Buffets - 1995

Free sodas - April 2003

Discontinued items on cruise lines:

Thin Passengers - 1995

Well Dressed Passengers - 1998

Well Behaved Passengers - -1999

Brass Bands..... We had a bagpipe band in 2001, does that count?:confused:

Free sodas....Free anything (cruise lines)

Cruise line

Are you sure of those years?:confused: seems it was earlier.

We are Diamond Plus members with Royal Caribbean, and are always given a choice between a bridge tour or a kitchen tour as one of the perks.

I refuse to set foot in a kitchen on our vacation (only kidding, as I have seen several ship's kitchens), so we usually choose the bridge tour. We have seen just about every bridge in the Royal Caribbean fleet.

The captain on the Voyager class ships use a scooter to get around, as the bridge is so large.

Captain Johnny let me sit in his chair to have my photograph taken. It's very interesting.

Ginnie

I have been invited to the bridges of a freighter, a 5 masted sailing vessel, and a lake boat in Chile; the flight deck of Peruvian and Agentinian Airlines, but have Neverseen a bridge the Capt. needed a skooter!:eek:

Give me a smaller ship!:eek:

I miss most the "motion of the ocean". With all the stabilizers out there and the newly built ships, you just don't feel like you are on water anymore. (Unless there is a pretty good storm). I used to love walking on the decks in the evenings and not being able to keep a straight line. (now I just have to have a martini or two). How much fun it was to watch a whole group of passengers walking forward.....then all left.....then all right! What a blast. It may make some people seasick, but that's the one thing I miss about cruising.

Yes!:)

(martini or two) I don't like gin, so use 3 beers!:p

If I think I may drink 4 or more, I take my cane.:( I was on one ship that was so long (we had an extreme forward cabin) I had to use a cane for support while resting before I could get to the cabin!!:eek: The last cruise was on a former Rennasonce (sp?) ship, and I only used the cane in port!.:) We barely had enough motion to get to sleep.:(

-wine & fruit baskets in your stateroom

-trap shooting

-passenger talent shows

-comment cards/win a cruise

1. No wine, but we had fruit every day.

2. trap shooting, gone:confused: enjoyed watching, but haven't seen it for awhile.

3. Pax talent:confused: shows. OK

4. Win a cruise...Some friends we met on an NCL cruise won a cruise!!!!! It was an inside they would not cruise in, and they could NOT upgrade to a decent cabin!:eek: They were VERY disappointed, and vowed NEVER to sail NCL again!:)