Could we start a list of perks that were discontinued?

I stared cruising in 1994 my fist cruise was a Christmas Cruise (8 nites) in 1994 RCCL gave us a Llardo Statue I still have it. Midnight Buffets were every night which was way too much. I paid 3500 for the cruise.

Today you can get cruises a lot cheaper than that even at Christmas and all of us know what has happened to fuel prices since 1994 so how do they balance the books? They cut services. I think some of the items cut were a waste especially the amount of food. However, some of it is really sad and the endless promotion of extra cost items is bothersome.

I will not take a cruise with a Mega Line again the ships have gotten just too big and the service isn't there anymore. I have found Oceania to be fantastic as far as service and what you get for your money. People want cheap cruises GREAT they are out there but don't expect that all inclusive vacation of yesteryear.

Actually dining with the Captain!! Sailed the Big Red Boat in 1989 and my friend and I were invited along with 4 married couples to dine with the Captain, and we were each seated on either side of the Captain and had the absolute best time ever!! Of all my cruises, this still stands out as the most memorable event!!

I also miss the tours of the galley and the bridge. I understand this is because of security concerns, but I still miss them!

They still do the tours but sometimes you have to pay . I was on a Celebrity cruise 2 years ago and we had a free galley tour

In all fairness if you factor in the rate of inflation a cruise costs about three times more back in 1980 then it does now. So with that extra money you saved I am sure you can go into the gift shop and buy a deck of cards or a small tote bag.

I stared cruising in 1994 my fist cruise was a Christmas Cruise (8 nites) in 1994 RCCL gave us a Llardo Statue I still have it. Midnight Buffets were every night which was way too much. I paid 3500 for the cruise.

Today you can get cruises a lot cheaper than that even at Christmas and all of us know what has happened to fuel prices since 1994 so how do they balance the books? They cut services. I think some of the items cut were a waste especially the amount of food. However, some of it is really sad and the endless promotion of extra cost items is bothersome.

I will not take a cruise with a Mega Line again the ships have gotten just too big and the service isn't there anymore. I have found Oceania to be fantastic as far as service and what you get for your money. People want cheap cruises GREAT they are out there but don't expect that all inclusive vacation of yesteryear.

Sorry to say, HOLLAND AMERICA really bit the dust in this respect.

No more free cappuccino with supper, nice cocktails at the previous cruisers party, and Captains cocktail party, elegant capt table dinners on reg cruises, free shuttle into town from pier, good ham at breakfast, pies that are edible at meals(frozen) and on and on. Recently did 5 day on Carnival and found it to be much better in many respects.

The only thing HAL has maintained is the Quality of the Staff and Crew(

( those that are left) Manning has been reduced by average of 25% on the older ships.

I have never been on a cruise line that does not provide pool towels.

I think what the previous poster meant was ample stocks of pool towels provided in locations where you need them, not one pool towel that you have to monitor yourself.

Upscale and luxury lines still provide large towels throughout their ships.

I think what the previous poster meant was ample stocks of pool towels provided in locations where you need them, not one pool towel that you have to monitor yourself.

Upscale and luxury lines still provide large towels throughout their ships.

Can't say for sure the poster said no pool towels as in not at all and then asked what cruise line does provide towels? . So I think the poster meant what he or she typed.

Cruised the fabled Home Lines in the late 50's as a young boy with my parents. Here's one thing none of us miss ... for a 16 day Caribbean cruise in what might today be called a junior suite (no balcony, only port holes, but a fairly large room with separate sitting area/fold out bed), they paid $2,500/adult, me half fare. The adult fare is the equivalent of $20,161 today!!!

... Cal

Edited by cal516

Cruised the fabled Home Lines in the late 50's as a young boy with my parents. Here's one thing none of us miss ... for a 16 day Caribbean cruise in what might today be called a junior suite (no balcony, only port holes, but a fairly large room with separate sitting area/fold out bed), they paid $2,500/adult, me half fare. The adult fare is the equivalent of $20,161 today!!!

... Cal

Wow!!! Great to look at the price of a cruise through that perspective. The price of a 16 day cruise now, especially for what is essentially an ocean view cabin, would be a lot less. For the $20,161 I think we would all expect incredible luxury.

Wow!!! Great to look at the price of a cruise through that perspective. The price of a 16 day cruise now, especially for what is essentially an ocean view cabin, would be a lot less. For the $20,161 I think we would all expect incredible luxury.

Yes ... of course, perspective does change. In 1970 I bought a brand new Corvette Stingray for $5,400 !!! Sure wish I still had that car !!!

Can't say for sure the poster said no pool towels as in not at all and then asked what cruise line does provide towels? . So I think the poster meant what he or she typed.

The poster said that there were no pool towels provided on Princess, and there is a pool towel (as in ONE) in passenger cabins; however, passengers do not have towels (plural) on Princess, at least, and some of the other similar mainstream lines) access to ample pool towels where they are needed, e.g. around the pool.

I think the poster was referring to the days when one did not have to keep track of an assigned towel, even on mainstream lines such as Princess.

That is the perk that has changed unless one cruises on lines where towels are still available in abundance where they are needed.

Edited by Oceans&Rivers

The poster said that there were no pool towels provided on Princess, and there is a pool towel (as in ONE) in passenger cabins; however, passengers do not have towels (plural) on Princess, at least, and some of the other similar mainstream lines) access to ample pool towels where they are needed, e.g. around the pool.

I think the poster was referring to the days when one did not have to keep track of an assigned towel, even on mainstream lines such as Princess.

That is the perk that has changed unless one cruises on lines where towels are still available in abundance where they are needed.

Your sure reading a lot into what you think the poster said.

I can not only imagine it, but we did and do opt out of Crystal's passenger lists.

I prefer "aggregate statistics", such as "we have onboard 240 residents of the USA, 127 who reside in Canada, 80 from Timbuktu, etc.", and am glad that if there is a passenger list, we (and many others on the same voyage) can easily opt out. Looking back at our first passenger list on Crystal, which seemed to be a full sailing, clearly 25% or more were not listed on the passenger list.

I'm curious as to what passengers do with this information? If you meet people you would like to keep in contact with you would presumably exchange information. Otherwise, why would you care who else is on board?

I also would opt out of being listed.

Neither of you mention why you would opt out. What are you so paranoid about?

I don't know about the other posters' reasons for opting out. I would opt out for some very common sense reasons. I don't know who is on the ship with me. After all, anyone with enough money can book a cruise. Most are honest, trustworthy people, but as a retired law enforcement officer, I know that there will be a certain percentage of passengers that are not as honest as you and I. They could very easily make a cell phone call from the ship to their buddies back home and let them know whose house will be vacant for a week. That is the same reason that I will not let anyone except close friends and family know when I am cruising (no Facebook or Twitter posts) until after I return.

While on the cruise I am free to provide my contact information (email, cell#) to anyone that I meet and like.

In the early days of cruising times were different and providing those lists probably made sense. I submit to you that we live in different times now.

You may or may not agree with my reasoning, but those are my thoughts. :)

I don't know about the other posters' reasons for opting out. I would opt out for some very common sense reasons. I don't know who is on the ship with me. After all, anyone with enough money can book a cruise. Most are honest, trustworthy people, but as a retired law enforcement officer, I know that there will be a certain percentage of passengers that are not as honest as you and I. They could very easily make a cell phone call from the ship to their buddies back home and let them know whose house will be vacant for a week. That is the same reason that I will not let anyone except close friends and family know when I am cruising (no Facebook or Twitter posts) until after I return.

While on the cruise I am free to provide my contact information (email, cell#) to anyone that I meet and like.

In the early days of cruising times were different and providing those lists probably made sense. I submit to you that we live in different times now.

You may or may not agree with my reasoning, but those are my thoughts. :)

I agree with Multi Cruiser. I prefer to maintain my privacy, and do not see any advantage to having my name listed in a directory.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the "niceties" I've seen on recent cruises:

On a particularly sunny day at Half Moon Cay, there was a staffer offering a free quick spraydown of aerosol sunblock to any takers, midday. (Carnival)

Leaving Seattle for an Alaska cruise, there was (free) hot coffees and hot chocolate mugs being passed around at the "sailaway" and lovely red plaid wool blankets to wrap up in. (HAL)

Returning from a hot day ashore at Grand Turk, refrigerated damp towels, cups of cold water and lemonade as well. (Carnival)

NBA Playoff game in the Sports bar, there were potato skins, hot wings, mozzarella sticks, pizza, and other fried "bar food" being passed around. A staffer hosted a sports trivia contest (bucket of longnecks for the prize) (Royal Caribbean)

Basket of fruit in the room. Eaten fruit items were promptly replaced with like items. All of the fruits were primo, non-blemished and ripe. (HAL)

High tea every day in the dining room. One special "staffer" tea party with special desserts and tea hosted by the Thai dining staff. This tea was obviously special to them, and they all wore colorful silks and urged the guests to try the different spiced teas and snacks (though the regular stuff was also available) and taught us a few words in their native language. (HAL)

A "lobster dinner" was offered three times during a 2 week cruise. One "surf & turf", one "lobster tail & clambake", and one "broiled lobster tail". All were decently sized tails. The final formal night of the cruise offered a full rack of snow crabs, garlic steamed. (Princess)

Fourth of July party included tons of free swag, including flags, silly hats and wigs, tooters and noisemakers, mardi gras beads and silly eyeglasses and headbands. Hundreds of people showed up for the party, and all of them were decked out in an assortment of these "prizes" in short order. (Carnival)

Thanksgiving dinner aboard the ship included a special menu designed by the ship's chef, with at least one "pumpkin" related item in each category. The dining room was decked out with carved pumpkins everywhere. You could "pumpkin" your way through the entire meal, from fried pumpkin ravioli starters, to cold pumpkin soup, turkey & gravy with a side of stewed mashed pumpkin for main entree, and of course, authentic "scraped" pumpkin pie or pumpkin spice ice cream for dessert. "Pumpkin spice" shooters were the special "shot" drink of the night, in little orange and silver cups. (Princess)

It's not exactly a perk, but something that has been discontinued......."once upon a time" (I remember this in the late 60's and early 70's) if you lived in Manhattan or an hour or so from the pier in NY, rather than packing, you could have a wardrobe delivered to your house or apt, fill it up, it would be picked up, delivered to the ship, put in your cabin and that pretty much was your "closet" for the voyage. At the end of the cruise you just walked off the ship and the wardrobe would be delivered back to your house/apt. I remember for 12-18 day winter cruises out of NY, so many women would just step out of the limo in a mink and broad brimmed hat (and of course...sun glasses) and waltz onto the ship. The reception foyer was full of flowers, fruit baskets, and bottles of whiskey to be delivered as "bon voyage" gifts to cabins. Yep....those days are LONG gone!!!!!!!!!!! Those were sailings on the Home, French Italian, Hapag Lloyd, Swedish America, CP, Incres, and Cunard Lines. Other than Cunard (which has been "Carivalized" anyway), even exist any more!

High tea every day in the dining room. One special "staffer" tea party with special desserts and tea hosted by the Thai dining staff. This tea was obviously special to them, and they all wore colorful silks and urged the guests to try the different spiced teas and snacks (though the regular stuff was also available) and taught us a few words in their native language. (HAL)

Mostly like the HAL staff were Indonesian, the Dutch connection

and they would have been wearing Sorongs, not Silks

• 3 weeks later...
I miss most the "motion of the ocean". With all the stabilizers out there and the newly built ships, you just don't feel like you are on water anymore. (Unless there is a pretty good storm). I used to love walking on the decks in the evenings and not being able to keep a straight line. (now I just have to have a martini or two). How much fun it was to watch a whole group of passengers walking forward.....then all left.....then all right! What a blast. It may make some people seasick, but that's the one thing I miss about cruising.

I miss this too - being rocked to sleep at night, kinda like the train. And the walking was always so fun to watch - lol :D

How about never seeing stewards in your cabin, yet every time you came back it was clean. And with 3 women in our cabin, just how did they know which pajamas were mine?

Today you're stepping over vacuums in the hallway.

I know the answer to the pj's question but I don't think you want to know! :eek:

• 5 months later...

My first cruise was a traditional jazz cruise in 1984 on the Carnival Tropicale. I have been on almost 60 cruises with Carnival, HAL, Princess, CelebrityRoyal Caribbean, Norwegian, Comodore, Marco Polo, Regent et al. I wish to share some observations, and despite changes, I still love to cruise.

Things that I no longer see: 7 oz. lobster tails offered at least one night for dinner in the regular dining room. On HAL, lobster tails were no longer on the Pinnacle menu when I cruised to Alaska on June 22, 2014. Caviar is seldom served unless one pays a premium. Comment cards have been replaced on some lines with an email. I like to give my opinion, so missed not being able to do so following my last cruise in June. My cabin mate did get one, but I'm still waiting a response to my request. On HAL, things of the past seem to include the very unflattering Dutch caps supplied for Dutch night, (no loss there); the search for Mr. and/or Mrs. (for example) Rotterdam (or whatever dam ship one was on) awarded to the party discovering the correct identity (that was always fun); documents in a very nice folder; smoking wherever Yay! (I will be glad when Hal ships are totally smoke free); motion of the ocean due to very efficient stabilizers. Yay for most passengers, but since I never suffered from seasickness, I miss that nice rolling feeling of being on a ship; Midnight buffets every night. (I often went just to look, but ended up eating something because everything was so beautiful) They did have a chocolate extravaganza; I always enoyed both the Phillipino and Indonesian crew's shows, but was unaware of either being offered on the June cruise. Are they a thing of the past?; We had a fruit basket, flowers, chocolate on our pillows, towel animals, tote bags, chimes to announce dinner, ginger, dates etc. were offered as we left the dining room, we never had a shortage of towels (although I didnt use one for the pool, I did need them in the Ocean Spa; High Tea was available every afternoon, hot chocolate from room service was available every day; no horse race - that was always fun and perhaps it is offered on other cruises; In the past, I have often dined with the captain or other of the ship's officers in the past, but that didn't seem to happen to anyone on our June cruise. Perhaps another thing of the past. I believe many things have changed because of 1) our 9ll experience and 2) the Noro virus and/ or contagious health concerns. For example, we no longer have Bon Voyage parties, or serve yourself food;

As a passenger, if you are in a suite, you will receive menus everyday. If you are a repeat passenger with enough stars ( I believe 3 or more) you will receive a frameable picture of the ship. When I have been to the Chef's Dinner, I have enjoyed a gallery tour and received a lovely cook book at the conclusion of the dinner. Every one should go at least once; On an Alaskan trip, cold towels, lemonade and cold water were not really missed and they were not offered, but on my earlier warm weather cruise, they were offered every time we were in port. A very nice and welcome touch. Recently, on formal nights I have sadly observed very few men in tuxedos, white dinner jackets or even dark suites with ties. It is very dismaying to see a women dressed up appropriately with a man who is dressed like a mug. I think it is insulting to the passengers who know what is expected. (We were not in the tropics) In the dining room, I observd 2 men at one table wearing caps, one of which was turned around, bill in back. There were others wearing caps on formal nights. I understand that everyone does not want to dress up. That having been said, why don't they go to the Lido for dinner? I am not a fan of anytime dining. I like to sit at the same table every night and get acquainted with my wait staff, wine steward and others who're there tohelp me. Because I have a choice, I am not complaining that it is offered for those who prefer it.

I was unaware, that various liquors are no longer available for one's ice-cream.

On my first cruise (a Carnival ship), we had a bidet. Quite a luxury. I'm sure they are no longer available. My last major observation has to do with bringing liquour aboard. On my last cruise, I brought my allotment of wine on board. I believe one bottle for a 14 day or longer cruise is not very realistic. I always purchase a wine package no matter what I am allowed to bring on board, so I am little puzzled as to why cruise ships have adopted this new policy. I'm sure they have a rational reason. I just wish I knew what it was.

Well, I have supplied a few rants, but also some raves. While I do remember a fellow passenger who was so busy talking about where he had been and where he planned to go in the future, he seemed to be missing out on the enjoyment of where he was at the moment. I will continue to cruise and I believe a person pretty much brings their own good time with them and that is my plan.