Glacier Pictures

robntawn

OK, resident photogs:

I am in need of recommendations for taking great glacier photos. I have a D70 and will be using my new 18-200 3.5-5.6 Nikkor lens. I used a polarizer last year, but because it was so bright and hazy, most of my pictures look washed out. We are going back to Alaska on 8/23/06 and I want to get some great shots.

1. What settings would you recommend? I have a little camera knowledge, but was using AUTO quite a bit in the past. I have recently started using the "P" setting, with an ISO of 200 and auto white balance. I have also tweaked the color settings to IIIa per Ken Rockwell's suggestion.

2. Should I use a circular polarizer, or something else?

3. Any other pointers would be GREATLY appreciated!

If it's cloudy (not a first in AK!), your auto settings will probably do ok, since overcast reduces contrast a lot. If you're lucky and it's sunny, things get harder. Camera meters try to make everything average out to 18% grey. This works great most of the time. Snow is one of those that falls outside of the average. Rule of thumb is overexpose by +1 or +2 stops for snow, otherwise the camera averages the scene out to grey. that makes the snow muddy and everything else too dark.

A polarizer can help with glare and will give the blues in the ice and the sky a bit of a pop, depending on where the sun is in relation to the subject.

Digital makes life so easy for us. Check your LCD often and adjust as necessary.

HERE's a link to some glacier shots from our last trip there in '04.

Enjoy your trip!

Dave

Guest garden4cook

I am 3 weeks back from Alaska and I too was worried about photographing glaciers. My advice : keep it simple!

All I did was shoot 1/3 a stop underexposed on all glaciers. In additon, I shot in landscape mode as well. Now, if the sun is directly on a glacier - 2/3 under might be better.

If you'd like, i can send you pics of the glaciers I shot at 1/3 under. let me know.

Archived